• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Biggest Nautical News Stories of 2015

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Ahoy mates, I hope you are all having a good Christmas and enjoying spending time with your friends and families. Another year is fast coming to an end, and over the next few days, I will be taking a look back at 2015 and posting some of the biggest stories, or at least all the ones I can remember, over the past year. I am sure I won't come close to getting them all, so feel free to post anything that I missed in the comments section. I'll be starting with some Nautical news stories.

L'Hermione successfully completes her historic voyage!

They also released a trailer for the upcoming "L'Aventure Hermione." It is of course in French, like 95 percent of all the other coverage I have seen of this historic vessel. I haven't been able to find a release date, or where it will be released. Still nothing on the educational game either, but I will certainly post more info on both when I find it.

On October 1'st, 2015, the cargo carrier MV El Faro sank in Hurricane Joaquin while en route from Jacksonville, Florida, to Puerto Rico. All 33 people aboard the vessel were lost. In a typical display of corporate greed, the ships owners sued the family's of those who went down with the ship in order to prevent them from filing lawsuits against the company for not properly maintaining the ship, among other reasons.

In yet another example of of corporate greed and power, none of the supervisors involved in the BP oil spill will face manslaughter charges for the explosion on the New Horizons oil rig that killed 11 workers in the Gulf of Mexico in April 2010. At least 134 million gallons of crude oil leaked in to the sea over a 3 month period before the well head was plugged.

You can read more about this story over at Ars Technica :

Manslaughter charges dropped in BP spill case—nobody from BP will go to prison

Ok, enough of the bad stories, here is a good one, Louis Jordan, 37, was rescued after being stranded 200 miles off the coast of North Carolina lost at sea 66 days.

Treasure hunters find undiscovered shipwreck in Lake Michigan

The Panama Canal expansion is progressing, and construction for the expansion project should be completed by April 2016. The Panama Canal Expansion began on September 2007 at a total cost of $5.2 billion.

Progress Update - December 2015

A 15'th century Danish warship's 'Sea Monster' figurehead was recovered from the shipwreck in the Baltic Sea. It is very rare to find anything related to these early ships, let alone an actual piece of one!

You can read more about this story over on Discovery.com.

Lost treasure found in the San Jose galleon in Colombia. She was sunk in battle with the English fleet in 1708.

You can read much more about this story over on LiveScience.com : Sunken Treasure Ship Worth Billions Possibly Found After 300 Years

Florida Treasure Hunters Find $4.5M In lost gold from the 1715 fleet that was lost in a hurricane.

And there are also some great pictures and videos over on their Facebook page.

Shell oil company, in partnership with NOAA have announced The $7 Million Shell Ocean Discovery XPRIZE, a global, three-year competition challenging teams to advance breakthrough technologies for rapid, unmanned and high-resolution ocean exploration.

The $1M NOAA bonus prize will be awarded to teams that demonstrate their technology can “sniff out” a specified object in the ocean through biological and chemical signals. This will allow us to respond to emergencies, and discover new marine life and underwater communities in a way that never existed before.

You can find out more over on their web page HERE!

That's about all I have for today, I am sure that I haven't even come close to covering everything. A year is a long time and this article is plenty long as it is. Feel free to post any Nautical news stories I missed in the comments.

Attachments

• PA-logo.png
    PA-logo.png
    21 KB · Views: 36
Back