• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

Once I'm done with the textures, I'll let you know so you can send the sails to me.
me.gif
Good work mate.

I sure hope Bonjourmonami isn't cringing on how much I darkened the Pearl, but it was way too light. He sure did a good job on this model. And I'm definitely the guy to do the textures since this is my favorite ship. I want her to be perfect.
keith.gif
I'm stoked to get to work on the newest model of my favorite ship.

Thanks for nudging me into it Armada.
par-ty.gif

Took a while, but I got the texture of the Queen Anne's Revenge's curtains just how I wanted. Phase 1 of my plan to dirty the ship up. She's far too clean and neat looking. In the movie, she's covered in grime. I made a similar texture for her sails, but I need Armada to tell me how I can put holes in them. The Revenge's sails are a little torn and tattered, so I wanna make a custom sail texture for her. Here's the work I did on the curtains. I still have a long way to go. I was hoping I could texture some skeletons on the stern like she has in the movie, but the properties of the texture just don't allow for it. Shame.
dunno.gif

This is my version to the textures and the sails of the QAR...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/start2011082920410635.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/start2011082920405803.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/start2011082920404443.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/start2011082920403898.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/start2011082920403898.jpg

Took a while, but I got the texture of the Queen Anne's Revenge's curtains just how I wanted. Phase 1 of my plan to dirty the ship up. She's far too clean and neat looking. In the movie, she's covered in grime. I made a similar texture for her sails, but I need Armada to tell me how I can put holes in them. The Revenge's sails are a little torn and tattered, so I wanna make a custom sail texture for her. Here's the work I did on the curtains. I still have a long way to go. I was hoping I could texture some skeletons on the stern like she has in the movie, but the properties of the texture just don't allow for it. Shame.
dunno.gif

VERY NICE.:woot

Of course you can...

Sails
In TGA - http://www.mediafire.com/?pqdyessm99gfcj5
In TGA.tx - http://www.mediafire.com/?2v543rgz5zrvid7

You guys have been busy! :will

Armada, how I enter the group modders? :will
Well, like LS said, once you've proven that you're dedicated and wiling to help the modding effort, a Moderator waves a magic wand... well, not really, but you get promoted anyway.
Oh, would you look at that? I guess someone has promoted you already... can't think who it might be. ;)

Guess this means you got a new partner in crime in the texturing department Armada.
me.gif
Now if I could just figure out how to model . . .
Well thanks for putting up with my nudging and figuring it out. The more people who can learn these skills, the better! :cheers
Modelling is a whole new ball park, though. I'm still figuring things out in Maya myself.
It takes a while to get used to that program... and even more time to learn exactly what to do to the models so that they show up correctly in-game.
Maybe I'll eventually write up a tutorial for how to use Maya to at least edit and fix existing models. Making them from scratch would be better for an experienced modeller to explain.

Armada! Help! I don't know how to assign a texture to an unused section of model.
dunno.gif
Calm down, and have some more rum! There are no unused parts of the model, I can tell you that. :no
It's the way the textures are mapped which is causing the confusion.
No offence to Bonjourmonami, but some parts of the UV mapping are a mess, and need to be moved around and resized to make more sense.

The bit you're after is in theBlackPearl.tga, just left of the brown section of the bow, on what looks like a lantern which has been scribbled over.

Definitely 1st. No tears in the sails. This isn't the cursed Pearl. And we've already got PERFECT cursed sails that Armada did, so no need to re-do those.
me.gif
Agreed with the choice of sail texture. In my opinion, though, we don't need another plain black sail texture, seeing as it's just a darkened copy.
We could always replace the current plain black sail with the darker version, as an alternative.

And yeah, I still can't believe how movie-like the cursed sails now look. I wasn't expecting a result that good when I made the texture! :cheeky

I made a similar texture for her sails, but I need Armada to tell me how I can put holes in them.
[...]
I was hoping I could texture some skeletons on the stern like she has in the movie, but the properties of the texture just don't allow for it. Shame.
dunno.gif
To put transparent holes in the sails (or any texture, for that matter), you need to apply an alpha map in Photoshop.
You basically need to cut out the holes and make sure the background behind it is transparent. That's it.

Then, you need to use a different setting in TX Converter to use the alpha mapped texture.
Just make sure the top box (when converting TGA to TX) has "32bit (24bit colour)" selected, and the lower box has "32bit (8bit alpha, 24bit colour)" selected.
If you don't already use those settings, make sure you do for future conversions, as that gives the best quality.

And about the skeletons on the stern, again it's down to how the texture is mapped to the model, which needs sorting out.

Thanks mate.
me.gif
I think I might desaturate them a little and put a few holes in them.

Wow! Look at all these cool pics of the Queen Anne's Revenge! I found some pretty nice ones of the Pearl too. I've been using photos off Flickr to get a lot of these textures. Like the curtains for example, or the Pearl's roof and stern.
keith.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frikitiki/sets/72157626165955849/with/5536463324/

And about the skeletons on the stern, again it's down to how the texture is mapped to the model, which needs sorting out.

Could you teach me how to fix the UV mapping? Cause this is getting annoying.
urgh.gif

Would there still be a way to put the skeletons on?
What about what you did with the Constitution? Like how the eagle and stars are on the stern separately. Are those a texture? If so, how do I put certain textures on in that way? Aside from the skeletons, I'd also love to texture these rings over the existing rings on the QAR.

[attachment=7035:5536541384_04247f9084_o.jpg]

The bit you're after is in theBlackPearl.tga, just left of the brown section of the bow, on what looks like a lantern which has been scribbled over.

Can you mark it on a screenshot for me? I can't find it.
dunno.gif

Never mind. I just found it. I figured out an interesting way to figure out where certain textures are located . . . by scribbling over it with a red brush!
24.gif

It sounds stupid, but it's really effective! lol

Armada I tried to add lights to the pearl for the aop, i created new locators, but the lights did not appear.:modding
can you help me?

Here's a couple screenies of the Pearl's progress.

[attachment=7036:Fullscreen capture 8292011 70153 PM.jpg] [attachment=7037:Fullscreen capture 8292011 70121 PM.jpg]

Armada, this Pearl uses some textures from deck.tga which several other ships use, but there's a couple parts I wanna darken for the Pearl. How do I solve that problem? How can I make this another Pearl specific thing and assign it?

I've been experimenting with the color of the hull. How is this? It's lighter than the last Pearl and doesn't have that brown tint that the other one had.

[attachment=7022:Fullscreen capture 8282011 100610 PM.jpg] [attachment=7023:Fullscreen capture 8282011 100622 PM.jpg] [attachment=7024:Fullscreen capture 8282011 100645 PM.jpg]

I think it's still too dark, maybe somewhere in the middle of mine and yours.

I've tried everything. I think that's it . . . a texture was never assigned to this part of the ship.
mybad.gif

Armada! Help! I don't know how to assign a texture to an unused section of model.
dunno.gif

[attachment=7028:Fullscreen capture 8292011 64245 AM.jpg]

The keel does have a texture assigned, it's the little smudgy dark bit near to the top that has what looks like the base of one of the lanterns sticking out on the left

Back