• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

Hiya chaps and chapettes been a while hasn't it,

you guys are gonna hate me oh so very VERY much. A coupl'a months ago I said I was gonna try making a model for Pirates of the Burning Sea but my computer can't play it soooooooo, I altered her back to her sister the Black Pearl... in High def.
the_black_pearl_hd_by_bonjourmonami-d52gp6f.jpg

As you can see, the carvings actually stand out from the planking and the lanterns are properly built and lots of other detaily goodies as well.
I'm still working on her but if you want her when she's done just ask. I might make her sister the Last Shadow as well. With out the masts and rigging I think the hull mesh comes to around 55000 polys, not sure if that's too many for PotC or not but there is one ship with over 100,000 so I think the Pearl should be OK shouldn't she?
Still wondering whether to do the cabin's interior cuz that would add more polys but would be good for the detail. Maybe do that as mid-def cuz you'd only be able to go in there on the damaged version anyhow.

Could someone please tell me what things I need to get build14 beta 2.1 to work, I recently uninstalled potc by mistake and I hadn't used this build yet.

To get the latest modpack to run, you need the unmodded game installed and then the Build 14 Beta 2.1 Full installer.

She looks beautiful again. :onya

Thanks, she's using pretty much all new textures apart from the statues for the moment, might try to get them on a smaller canvas. If she does get put into the mods I would like her to stay at this tone of grey though because I think it's just about right.

Quick Q about sails, is there any way to make them look a bit more like real sails, I mean in that having the bottoms curved properly. The course/ mains'ls never seem to swoop out at the bottom and look completely flat. Also with the jibs and gaff I was thinking about trying to make them as regular square sails with a one end squashed to so it would go with the wind, but would they just stay out to one side which ever way the wind was going?

Making a curve at the bottom of the sails should be possible with an alpha map on the sail texture.

that's what I was thinking, how would I go about doing that please?
would be able to have the regular one for the jibs, lateen and gaff and the curved for the others?

Adding an alpha map is done in a program like Photoshop; I've never been able to figure out how to do it properly myself. Maybe Legendary Spider can help you there.
The game can use two sets of sail textures for one ship, but it doesn't distinguish between square or triangular sails for the sail textures.
We could experiment with it and see what it looks like though.

Thanks, she's using pretty much all new textures apart from the statues for the moment
Uh oh! She looks absolutely beautiful mate, but Legendary Spider is gonna hate you for using new textures. :wp

He wanted to submit a variant of it to Pirates of the Burning Sea, but their standards are much more strict than ours, so the model had to be upgraded (again).
However, he can't run the game on his PC, so didn't submit the model. The end result is something we can use instead. Their loss, I suppose. :cheeky

Better is better, I suppose. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder why the same ships are being made several times with other ships not being touched at all.
I wonder if the new Pearl's textures have the same layout as the current version; then you could swap out your texture-work for her.

Definitely looks like the whole stern ornamentation could use my touch. I've already spotted something that's missing. I remember BM saying something about this being a Pearl look-a-like, but not actually the Pearl? What was that about? This is the Pearl, right?

I said you guys were gonna hate me. :walkplank What I was doing originally was making a sister ship of the Pearl called the Last Shadow. I even made a history for her.
But then I couldn't run PotBS on my pc so I made her into the Black Pearl again.
hms_last_shadow_by_bonjourmonami-d4sud44.jpg

If you wanna see her history just head over to the pics DA page. http://bonjourmonami.deviantart.com/art/HMS-Last-Shadow-290310628

LS, what was the thing missing on the stern?

The reason I pretty much stick to the Pearl is because she is my favourite sailing ship and there's plenty of access to photos of her. I would like to have another go at the dutchman but I think I'd do better with a proper blueprint, the one they used for the films isn't very detailed.

Better is better, I suppose. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder why the same ships are being made several times with other ships not being touched at all.
We are a community of hobbyists, remember? People tend to work on parts of the games that they are most passionate about, and modellers are notorious for this, especially with ships. :wp
It is entirely understandable that modellers would rather work on popular real-life/fictional vessels as opposed to upgrading any substandard ones we have in-game.
While my personal preference is the latter (I don't like building ships from scratch), I simply don't have enough time to work very quickly.
That should change in a few weeks' time though, when my exams are over. :dance

Bonjourmonami: good luck finding a decent Dutchman plan. All I've found so far are many versions of the same Disney plans, which aren't immensely helpful. They should be enough to get a more accurate shape of the hull, but the rest is a bit dodgy.

We are a community of hobbyists, remember? People tend to work on parts of the games that they are most passionate about, and modellers are notorious for this, especially with ships. :wp
It is entirely understandable that modellers would rather work on popular real-life/fictional vessels as opposed to upgrading any substandard ones we have in-game.
While my personal preference is the latter (I don't like building ships from scratch), I simply don't have enough time to work very quickly.
I know, I know. :razz

There's plenty of Dutchman photos on Flickr.

So you've restored this model to be the actual Black Pearl instead of a sister ship?

There's some stern detail that needs improving, and some that's missing entirely.

4374423946_a338b43a45_o.jpg

4361325788_c68c672c32_b.jpg

4361325788_c68c672c32_b_edited-1.jpg

I'll be happy to go over your model for you and add what needs adding via texturing. The Pearl's my favorite too. :onya
Since you're so hot on doing another model of her, you should take this opportunity to correct those Neptune and sea serpent statues next to the lanterns. Here's some pics of those if you need:

4274797_9d33fe8d01_o.jpg

4274799_8c10b82cbb_o.jpg

I downloaded pretty much every pic of the Pearl I could find when I textured the last model, so I got everything you could ever need for the BP or QAR. lol

Back