• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Black Pearl cutscene windows crash

Kurgan

Landlubber
<b>Ahoy thar ye scurvy dawgs! I be havin' a problem that grog or rum or wenches bain't solvin'...</b>
--
I'm using Build 13 final.

<strike>The video</strike> Right after I use the ability that makes the Black Pearl vulnerable crashes not only the game but Windows, <strike>just as the flash of light overtakes the skeletons. Same spot every time. </strike>

The blue screen mentions <b>nv4_disp.dll</b>

<b>Attempts I've made to resolve this:</b>

- Mashed the escape button before the video loads. Result <b>FAIL</b>

- Installed <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c2e44a5-6a28-4888-93a7-6a6c6a87be7f&displaylang=en&Hash=byDI5JO4SPm3sH0uq%2fDy6FzR%2bi%2bprq3iNHMsvmh70jfOx1xW28ledDZR%2bA83qjsj11GBGgw4hk8fauCqRWDe9g%3d%3d" target="_blank">this</a>: per the faq. Result <b>FAIL</b>

- Reset nvidia software settings to factory defaults. Result <b>FAIL</b>

- Installed the most current drivers for my video card (6800 GT). Result <b>FAIL</b>

- Deactivated sound card. Result <b>FAIL</b>

- Removed the Artefact.wmv file from the RESOURCE\VIDEOS folder. Result <b>FAIL</b>

If any of you know of a solution I'd really appreciate it.

That is just plain BIZARRE! And all the other movies in the game DID work?
You could try just removing the <i>Artefact.wmv</i> file from your <i>RESOURCE\VIDEOS</i> folder.

Aye, I've had smooth sailing with every other video.

I'll delete the video and see if that works. BRB

edit: Didn't work. The machine crashed about a second after I clicked the button. Same blue screen error.

At least we know it isn't the video. Could it be something in the code regarding the swapping of black pearls status to vulnerable?

Thanks for the help Pieter. Though I would have been fun to sink it myself I suppose seeing the video is enough. If someone posts a solution in the next hour or two I'll take it otherwise I'm just going to upgrade to 14 and check out the new content.

Hello

I am in the Same boat here as the OP. I have done everything he has done My Video Card is a 7900 Gt in SLI tho.

I played Through Build 13 got to that spot and i get the system crash. After looking for many work around i got frustrated and Upgraded to build 14.

Well in Build 14 i get the same thing again. I am not really sure what the mod team could do to resolve this.
so far my trip through build 14 had some snags (i did post them) however with back up saves and lots of time i managed to make to the Black pearl fight again.

I have now played though the main story line 2 times now and not seen the end so i have a few questions for you guys.

1. Can you capture the Black pearl in that final fight.
2. After you finish the Black pearl fight does the game still continue in a "Free world" type game.
3. I am wondering if you "get the Girl" at the end.

my last question is. Is it possible to make a console command that can skip the Black pearl fight altogether and hopefully have it captured. that way i can continue the game after the fight.

any help here would be great thank you again for make a great game here team

Gumbercules

i havnt completed new horizons in years, so i have no idea if you can board the Pearl now, but i know there is a code on a cheat site (cant remember wich) that allows free world, and yes, you get the girl

We have made the Pearl capturable ;)

We also have enabled free world (including a couple of tiny sidequests) after the finish

and Yep :D

What Build 14 are you using?

I am using Build Alpha 14 9.5 Patch 2
That is not sounding very good then :(

I might know how to fix it (hopefully)
Open: PROGRAM/Storyline/Standard/quests/quest_reaction.c
find the line
Code:
PostVideoAndQuest("standard\ending_eng",100, "credits");
and change it with
Code:
PostVideoAndQuest("common\ending",100, "credits");

And please let me know if that fixes the problem ;)

Sorry my friend

I went here:
Open: PROGRAM/Storyline/Standard/quests/quest_reaction.c

find the line Ctrl + F
Code:

and change it with
Code:
****i only changed the one line so if it showed up more then one time i did not change it more then the one time***

it still crashes just after the cinematic finishes, screen goes black then bang Crash.

as the OP said all other cinematic work just fine. he thought it may have had something to do with the changing of the Pearl to be attackable that causes the issue *Shrug* but i dont know.

thank you for the attempted fix tho hopefully you will be able to crack this nut *smiles*

Gumbercules

Does the actual video play?? Cause it would help if I knew that

I am currently playing through the storyline to see if it is the same for me :yes

Ahoy guys!!!

I just finished the quest (I did abit of tinkering and think I may have fixed the error accidently). I will be sending the files to Pieter for the next patch (when he gets back) so you have something to look forward to ;)

good news

and yes the video does play of the girl holding the orb and the skeleton crew getting hit with a bright light.
then the screen goes dark as tho it loading back to ship combat But Windows locks up and a blue screen with the video error.

now if you think you have it fixed and it could go live int eh next patch any idea when that will be?

thank you again for your assistance in this

Gumbercules

Well Pieter Boelen is the modpack compiler and he is away for the next week and a half.

So do not expect the next patch in that time :( and probably not for a week or 2 after that.

This is because we want to make sure patch3 is all good before moving onto making patch4 incase we have to fix things in patch3.

So just keep a look out for it ;)

Ok-Doky

so i will re load up my saves folder fro the Jack quest line then and play it * Smiles*

on a side note i was reading about how the berthing of the ships was not fully working in build 14.9.5.2 and i did run in to that bug where the game crashes after you exit the player window. here is what i did notice about the bug. i had no trouble berthing the ships that seemed to be in the game from the start at least i berthed a pirate corvett and a pirate frighter. when i tried to berth a esculated battle ship or a dutch 2 deck ship the game would crash. hope that helps your bug team out a bit

i look forward to the new patch.

Gumbercules

You may be onto something there I will make sure the modder who is working on ship berthing reads that :onya

EDIT: Just looked at patch 3 quest_reaction.c to my quest_reaction.c the only lines different were:
Code:
to
Code:
and
Code:
PostVideoAndQuest("English\credits", 1, "end_game");
to
Code:
PostVideoAndQuest("common\English\credits", 1, "end_game");

The following two lines are the correct ones:
Code:
And:
Code:
PostVideoAndQuest("common\English\credits", 1, "end_game");
I'm not 100% sure on that last one.
Anyway, neither of these things are a reason for the game going black and crashy. :facepalm

I'm not totally gone, despite my holiday, as you can see, but I'm not going to do any real PotC work. :no

I'm wondering if this bug was ever solved or if there's a walkround for it,or is it an unresolved hardware problem.I started playing this quest but but found same problem as stated in first post,crash to blue screen same message.Tried playing in 14 beta 2.1 to 14 beta 2.3 always same result.Couldn't find reference in any more recent post so posted here.Thanks anyway

I have captured the Pearl many times in beta 1 and 2. I have not done it yet in Beta 2.3. It used to be buggy but all this year the only problem has been missing flags when fighting the Pearl. What are your hardware specs?

I am running really old AMD Sempron(tm)Processor 3400+ 1.8 ghz 2GB ram and Nvidia geForce 6100 nForce 405 video card.Everthing else has worked fairly well up til now.Thanks for prompt reply

Ouch. That is an old system. You could be running out of memory there. Maybe a coder could tell you how to not show that video safely.

Back