• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Black Pearl

Problem found. The game was indeed applying random nation stats to unique ships if given through the GiveShip2Character function.
This was definitely unintentional and I fixed it now for inclusion in the next modpack update.

This does mean that I have now permanently downgraded all those Black Pearls as 16.8 kts is their correct value and not 18.1-20.7 kts.
That maintains the Black Pearl as the fastest unmodified ship in the game since there is not a single SpeedRate higher than 16.8 kts in ships_init.c .
Some ships may still be faster if they are already fast and of pirate design and/or if they have upgrades applied.

Speed rate of 20.7 was after upgrades such as long masts, cotton sails, copper bottom etc. I can't remember what it was before any upgrades.

Note that there are two values of turn rate in the code depending on whether you're playing realistic or arcade. In your quoted section of "ships_init.c", the "realistic" turn rate is 70. That seems more like the base turn rate before upgrades. It's also what I reported the cursed Pearl as having after upgrades, along with an observed poor turn rate. Likewise, speed 16 is what I was getting out of the cursed Black Pearl after upgrades.

Presumably other ships all get stats modified by nation? Would a flushdeck frigate modified by nation for France end up faster than the Black Pearl without any national modification? Why should the Black Pearl not get pirate stats since it's a pirate ship? If it ends up worse than the frigate then we're back to my first post of the thread, along with the quote from "Kelly's Heroes". ;)

Last edited:
Just for comparison in my beta 3.2 install I have a Wicked Wench with all perks and her stats are: speed - 15.4 knots and turn - 73. This seems to be correct and she was bought at Vanderdecken.

Presumably other ships all get stats modified by nation? Would a flushdeck frigate modified by nation for France end up faster than the Black Pearl without any national modification? Why should the Black Pearl not get pirate stats since it's a pirate ship? If it ends up worse than the frigate then we're back to my first post of the thread, along with the quote from "Kelly's Heroes". ;)
Random ships are affected by nationality, ships set as "unique" are not.
Pirate design ships can be up to 10% faster than their "base values" and American ships can go up to 15% faster.
"US_Schooner47" for example has a SpeedRate of 16.4, which could increase up to 18.8 kts with the American ship modifiers applied.

However, it doesn't make much sense for the Black Pearl to actually be the fastest ship in the world. She is an old design and a bulky one at that.
But if indeed you end up being overtaken left, right and centre by pirate design ships in Colonial Powers, then we could increase her actual SpeedRate value.
At least now she won't be magically sped up through unintentional code effects, so that we can do it on purpose instead. ;)

However, it doesn't make much sense for the Black Pearl to actually be the fastest ship in the world. She is an old design and a bulky one at that.
Ah. And a magic curse which allows the ship to move around at full speed with its sails in tatters, its crew looking like they've been on an extreme diet and a smokescreen which protects everybody else from your guns but doesn't protect you from theirs, does make sense. ;)

It's supposed to be a super-ship. It's your reward for completing the main quest. The curse of the ragged sails, skeletons and vapour is lifted but it should still retain the performance which made it the terror of the Caribbean. And it's not a matter of you being overtaken by other pirates, it's about you being able to overtake everyone else so you can pirate them. Unintentionally or not, the Black Pearl is fine as she is - if it's a bug then it's one which does not need fixing. :)

Indeed she should retain her amazing-cursed stats. Except that wasn't happening!
She was unintentionally getting EVEN BETTER stats after the curse lifted.

We tried to strike a balance between the fantasy of the films and the realism that we're aiming for with most of our modpack.
That is why the Pearl is the fastest unmodified ship. But only by a small margin.
Anyway, as I said, we can always decide to make her a bit faster again. But at least this time it would be intentional. :razz

Back