• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Black screen in Hornblowers questline

Gunnar

Sailor Apprentice
After swimming back from fireship with Foster thres a conversation with Captain Pellew. After this i get black screen, the game doesnt crash - i can use F1, F2 menus, switch weapons with keyboard keys etc.
Is it any known issue? (i hope) :)

Which version of the game have you installed? If Beta 4.1 from 7th January, did you also install the fix archive?

This is indeed a known issue. Additional chests were added to some cabins but the code wasn't quite right and caused exactly this problem. It has been fixed in that archive.

Ahoy again Capt'n :) i ve downloaded the archive as you suggested, maybe i did something wrong. I just put it into folder with all files and executed the installer. Is there something else i should have done?
It is 4.1 beta

I've overwritten the program and resource folders with the files from the archive but that didnt help. I guess i have to start over ...

The archive has no installer. If you re-ran the Beta 4.1 installer, you probably over-wrote all the archive files with the original 7th January versions.

Just copy the archive into place. This is the archive you need:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_jan7_fixes.zip

In particular, what you need is the file which is also attached to this post. It goes into "PROGRAM\Locations\init".

If the black screen still persists, can you upload the file "system.log" please? That's what led me to the fix - in my game, it contained a message about being unable to load a certain file, the reason being a piece of code had the wrong filename.

Attachments

• Ship.c
    41.1 KB · Views: 126
As i written in post above i fiugred out i have to do it manually but too late ^^
Theres a file you asked for, thanks !

Attachments

• system.log
    2.2 KB · Views: 114
Thanks - that file confirms that the problem is what I thought. It contains this line:
Code:
resource\models\locations\decks\cabin\cabin01\chestcabin.gm: can't open geometry file

But it occurs to me that "Ship.c" may only be read when you start a game, not during a game in progress, so you'd need to start over for the update to have any effect. Alright, quick and dirty fix to allow you to use your existing savegame:

Go into "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\decks\cabin\Cabin01". Copy file "cabinchest.gm" to the same place and rename the copy to "chestcabin.gm". To be safe, do the same thing in "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\decks\cabin\Cap", "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\decks\cabin\Cabin02" and "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\decks\cabin\Cabin03".

Well i had no doubts your workaround will work :) and hell yeah it works! Thank you very much! Just one question, before starting any new game shall i remove those extra chestcabin files or leave it as it is?

If you're completely finished with the existing game then you can remove them. They don't do any harm but they're a couple of MB each, so they're taking up hard disc space.

Next time you re-install the game, if you do a complete clean install then they'll be gone anyway.

In particular, what you need is the file which is also attached to this post. It goes into "PROGRAM\Locations\init".
Location init updates indeed require a New Game to be started.
F11 doesn't work for locations either.
But it is easy enough to write some console commands that apply the specific required updates to an existing savegame.

Well Grey Roger's fix worked(cheers!), I am already thinking which storyline to start next ^^ Obviously not Hawk. i rember it even after all those years :)

Back