• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Screen + Laptop FREEZE!

Azzellon

Landlubber
Hello there,

Kudo's to the gentlemen who created GoF 1.1; I must say I haven't tried the fresh copy of CoAS v1.3 vanilla but reading into these forums I was very tempted to try this MOD out and download it due to the severity of the bug issues with the game. I have one and ONLY one issue so far and it never affects ANY of my games/programs and to be honest is a first on my laptop. This has always happened since after the fight at the mansion and im sent as a slave to the plantation in Barbados; just after I start the quest to solve the problems of the three crewmen I have to hire for the runoff to the French Colony.. It just survives MAXIMIUM 5 minutes and then the game just makes the laptop go nuts; at first it was white vertical stripes with a black background, then now it's black screen and the laptop just sticks; I cant ctrl+alt+delete nor alt+F4 the laptop just basically freezes..

I installed fresh copy of CoAS,
then GoF v1.0,
then GoF v1.1,
Pirate fix,

Started playing and when problems arised;
Did the mapfix file overwrite + a few other file fixes you posted on the bug forum..

Tried starting a new game.. Still same issue..

I am baffled and trying to fix this but I gave up.. Please can anyone give me a basic thought as to how to fix this.. ?

P.S. : Win7 x64; Asus G73 Gaming laptop.

Ahoy Azzellon, welcome aboard mate! :dance

First try the game without any mods installed. Make sure you have the game installed somewhere outside of the default Program Files directory, install it to C:\Games\ or something. Also, make sure you have the latest TAGES drivers installed, you can get them from HERE!

Knowing the model number of your laptop is nice but that doesn't tell us exactly what hardware you have, even if I take the time and effort to go look it up on the web, I still don't know because there are at least 3 different versions of the model laptop that you have. Asus G73 SW? Jw? or Jh?

By the symptoms your describing, it sounds like the laptop may be overheating. Check the temps of your graphics hardware and your CPU.

Welcome Mate,

I too often use a G73 and it works great.

A few things to consider:

Make sure you are in twin turbo mode.

Have you updated your video drivers? In order to play 32 bit games in 64 mode all your drivers have got to be up to date to play the 32 bit games. Go to the help section on the ASUS site to find them.

Did you install the game in Program files, or Program Files (x86)? This is important with other games like ETW as well when you're using 64 mode. It actaully works best if you move your whole game folder somewhere else. I have several versions and test builds on my desktop.

Resolution: Find the posts here on PA about setting resolution. Even though it's a laptop, you've got that honkin 17.3 inch widescreen. Change your resolution to suit the game. Last, tweak your video card. Mine's got the Radeon 5870, There's some decent options for gaming. I always tweak the anti-aliasing as high as it will go.

One other thing I do, (especially if you've installed lots of other crap on the machine and have an overly controlling AV) is install and Optimizer. There are some really good ones out there. Some of them are free. Shop carefully, so to avoid malware. The AMD Optimizer is what I use. It will shut down all unecessary programs to include your AV if you include it in your profile. You can use their profiles, or customize one for yourself. If you disable your AV and firewall, make certain you also disable your router to protect yourself during those times. It works great!

That's a good outfit and I've been very impressed with it. When tweaked right it will play New Horizons, COAS, or GOF at highest graphics possible and without overheating or lag.

MK

TAGES instal up to date for Win7 64x.

Im Never in Twin Turbo for a game like Twin Turbo, you recommend I try it?

I have the LATEST driver from the ATI Catalyst Center.. Im not sure if its compatible with 32bit game, but considering what I have on this laptop it should so it's probably not an issue (Just to mention; sometimes these white stripes which could be any other color depending on where I am in the game whether its the sea or jungle or town, sometimes dissappear and every return to normal in a seconds and other times the laptop freezes the seconds I click or touch a button.)

Doubt the case is Program Files (86x) is the case but I moved the Folder somewhere else..

Tried Resolution 1024x768 .. Same problem; plus all the settings for the GPU are at MAX whether its anti-aliasing and others..

Installed Optimizer 1.14 I think but its already win7 ready.. Ill try to restart the game and try it now.. I noticed it happens with repetitive or constant holding of Key's and Mouse clicks.. such as W for forward etc. otherwise im dreaming. hope for the best, ill review if anything changes.. Thanks you guys.. So far..

Back