• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black screen with save

TheCerbis

Landlubber
Hello!

Some time ago I decided to go back to the Pirates of the Caribbean. I went through a large part of the game and as I have a habit of overwriting the game status so I did. Everything was great until I saved the game, was killed and ... After loading the game showed me a black screen! Menu, equipment, diary, etc is working well. But in the game, the screen is black, no picture and sound.

Help me, pirate mates!

Please post the .log files from your main game folder.
Also consider trying to remove the file name options from that directory.

Thank you for your quick answer. Where are these log files? I cannot see them... Removing options file didn't worked.

No log files? Do you have the mod installed? They should be generated by default.
Otherwise look for error logging in our FAQ.

Maybe that's because I reinstalled the game... My search results (it's polish language but I think you can see everything):
1zev7ur.jpg

No, you want to look in your POTC folder for compile.log, error.log, and system.log. It should look like this:
POTC folder.jpg

:facepalm Ohh, you are playing the stock game, not the mod.

All I can think of that might work is to reset your config.

Yup, no mods, just pure stock game. :)

I did what you said. Resetting the configuration did not work, but I was able to turn on error logging. I'm sending you two files (no error.log).

Attachments

• potc logs.zip
    884 bytes · Views: 179
This is my engine.ini attached. Could you take a look at it? Also, I sent the logs in my previous post.

Attachments

• engine.ini
    665 bytes · Views: 185
screen_x = 800
screen_y = 600

Your screen resolution is set to 800 x 600. Is that what you want? If not, change those numbers to your screen resolution. Most monitors do not run well at other resolutions than their native resolution.

My native resolution is 1920x1080. 800x600 in engine.ini is ok because I tried different resolutions (i will change it later anyway). Everything was great before this infelicitous save...

Last edited:
Digging around in my alleged memory I remember when the config.exe switched from 32 bit color to 16 bit color and it crashed POTC.
In the line under the screen resolution settings there is this one.

screen_bpp = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8

This is for 32 bit color.

But it doesn't crashes! I click on the "Load Game", I see loading screen and then is black screen. There is no sound, no image but I can enter the menu (main menu and "F2" menu with character, journal, equipment etc). There's my save attached, I don't know if you can do something with it.

Attachments

• Isla Muelle.zip
    303.7 KB · Views: 212
I just got around to trying your save and all I get is a black screen with no sound.

It looks like that save is corrupt. You will have to go back to your last save before that one. :shrug

Those log files are quite odd. Compile.log is doesn't contain as much stuff as it should.
And I don't think I ever saw this one before:
Code:
Location Quest_Muelle_town_01 not have reload groups!
Perhaps the problem is that you saved in a specific quest location and the game got all confused?
Indeed I'd also recommend reloading from an earlier save.

I have only this save file... Damn. :ko

You are right, Pieter! It is a specific quest location indeed. The town is Isla Muelle BUT I saved the game after I got out from the tavern and saw Danielle lying on the ground surrounded by some thugs. This is "Find Danielle" quest.

Back