• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Blood

FireBat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
The blood is nice a touch to any sword fighting game. I do have a couple of concerns mind you, and would you thoughts on adjusting the blood splatters.

I find that the blood is too 2 dimensional, and that all the blood splatters look the same. Upon close examination of the blood.tx file, there are tiny differences between one splatter and the next, but in the game they all look very much the same.

My thoughts are that it would be nice to have some directional blood splaters (ie lines) instead of just the blood splats.
(have over used splater? Its starting to loose its meaning xD:)

I have found a couple of suitable examples below that i found on google, that i would like to base my work off of, and see and how it runs.

Thoughts?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/8959384/2/istockphoto_8959384-blood-spray.jpg

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/Nicemonkey/Nicemonkey0903/Nicemonkey090300124/4537019.jpg

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/407872/2/istockphoto_407872-blood-splatter.jpg

I have done a bit of work on this since my last post. Unfortunatly not much progress has been made, and the blood splaters still look terrible. I think I will be adjusting the color to something a bit brighter for starters, and with variations in color, as the flat brownish colour bites.

I've also thought of trying to get blood pools forming under dead players, but this is certainly out of my league for now.

Sounds good FB, i never did like the blood spatter effects and the idea of having a blood pool appear beneath the bodies would be a very nice touch. It would take new code i think for that to be possible but another nice touch would be if someone was to walk in the bllo they would leave bloody foot prints. :yes

This sounds like a worthy project FireBat, it would help to add to the realism a bit, and I am all for that! From what I can tell, it looks like the files blood.xps and blood_big.xps in \Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\RESOURCE\Particles have something to do with blood physics, but I have no idea how to edit those, or even if they are editable. :shrug

This sounds like a worthy project FireBat, it would help to add to the realism a bit, and I am all for that! From what I can tell, it looks like the files blood.xps and blood_big.xps in \Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\RESOURCE\Particles have something to do with blood physics, but I have no idea how to edit those, or even if they are editable. :shrug
hmm, odd...I tried opening the files with an .xps viewer, and it complained that it wasnt the right file type...

I may be able to adjust what the blood splats look like, but until we can figure out how to open the .xps files...things may stop a bit short.

Yup, I had the same problem mate. Obviously Seward used a propitiatory version of the XPS format. I also tried opening them with a text editor, but they are of course compiled files. Both files start with PSYSv3.5 in the code, my guess is that is a reference for the particle system they used, but I have no idea what that is. Perhaps if you posted a question in the Storm Coding section of the forum, someone with much more knowledge than me might be able to help you. :shrug

I will post over there, and hopefully there is a code guru lurking :ninja
I am hoping that as a result I can associate different movements with certain splatters. For example a pistol shot hit would result in splatter A while a slashing attack would result in splatter B
In the meantime, i will show you all a screen shot of the work done so far. I have a bit of work to do with the splatters to make them look more like pools.

vwsknb.jpg

Back