• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Blue Screen on Windows 7 when running game

LoneWanderer

Landlubber
Hey all,

Been looking for this game forever, and finally found it in stores! I installed it, it said I didn't have privledges, and tried to dig around for info. Found out it was something with Tages, so I downloaded the newest Tages Driver, and installed that, and attempted to run the game again.

However, now, whenever I try to run the game, I get a black screen temporarily, and a Blue Screen of Death due to atksgt.sys (which is Tages, apparently).

So I've had no luck running the game so far, and I'm out of ideas. I attempted to mount a No-CD crack that somebody had posted in a different forum onto Daemon tools, but encountered the same crash.

If anybody can help me get this working, it would be greatly appreciated! I've been dying to play this forever.

:ahoymate

Starting at the beginning, do not install into program files. It is best to install it straight to your hard drive, as in C: COAS. This because windoze security blocks it from running when it is in program files.

You found the tages drivers, but do you know they come in 32 bit and 64 bit versions?

I have a working nodvd patch but my Dropbox is down today from too much traffic so I can't post a link.

Lastly, are you using Intel graphics? That sometimes causes problems.

Thanks for the response!

I installed it onto a separate hard-drive entirely, where I have all games installed, so it's not in the C drive at all.

I downloaded and installed the x64 bit version of Tages, since I've got 64 bit Windows.

Unfortunately, those were two of the first things I checked when attempting to run it, since I saw it posted on the forums and it didn't help. :(

Uh oh, that is all I do to install COAS and it works. I do go ahead and install GOF2 as I have never played the vanilla game.

Are you on a laptop? Someone else with a laptop had problems when using an external drive.

I am not. I'm on a Desktop, with an AMD Radeon R9 GPU.

I do have the GOF mod, I could try installing that to see if it helps.

The driver install seemed to do SOMETHING, as it looks like starts running before the blue screen error occurs.

Does the order that Tages and the game are installed matter? I installed the game first, found out it didn't work because Tages wasn't configured, then installed the Tages Driver afterward. Should I try reinstalling now that I have the Tages installed properly onto my machine?

Thank you for all the help so far, by the way. It is much appreciated.

COAS is self contained. I recently moved GOF2 from the D drive to the C drive, formatted the D drive, moved GOF2 back to the D drive, "upgraded" from win7 to win 8.1, and GOF2 still works fine.

I install by first installing COAS, then tages and the nodvd patch, copying it, and then installing GOF2 to the copy. It runs on both the C and D drive as long as it is installed directly to the drive.

I am using an R9 280X. I am thinking it is that external drive causing your problem.

Well, I hooked up my external drive and copied GOF2 onto it, and it works! Now I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Tages?

System specs? Memory? Keep in mind that this game was designed for DirectX 9, the original engine was written for DirectX 7. If you have not done so, try installing DirectX 9, it is more compatible with older games and will install just fine on 7 and may help with both stability and game performance. You can get it from CNET HERE.

Hylie, did we not have a CoAS FAQ around here somewhere?

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
16 Gig of RAM.
Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T 6 CPUs
Motherboard: GA-890FXA-UD5
DirectX 11

The drive the game is installed on still has 1 Terrabyte of memory left. :(

Thanks for that link to DX9. It does indeed help and I have not installed it yet. :thumbs1

I have heard that a FAQ exists but can not find it. :shrug

@LoneWanderer: Here is the nodvd patch I use.

Attachments

• no dvd patch-aop2.7z
    42.3 KB · Views: 201
Back