• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bounty hunters

MarKr

Comodor jackass
Hey guys

Is there something that could be done about bounty hunters? I mean when you get a bounty on your head, then bounty hunters that are after you are always of the same nation as the nation that put the bounty on you. (French guys hate you -> put bounty on you - > french bounty hunters are after you) But when they hunt you at sea you have no other option than sink/ board them but that still counts as sinking french ship so the bounty goes up. So now because of this I have bounty on my head like 200 000 and almost always when I enter a port huge number of people is trying to capture me and it's realy anoying. So would it be possible to set bounty hunters as a separate nation (or give them some status like smuglers have)? So when you sink them it won't rise bounty?

Personally, Unless you're a pirate, I don't think bounty hunters are very realistic at all. In my opinion, if you are such a huge nuisance to another nation, they'll dispatch a naval vessel to handle you. I'm not sure the bounty should go up so fast for taking enemy convoys. After all, that was standard an common practice during times of war. Also, the largest vessel bounty hunters would have used was some sort of fast privateer. (See the new Prince de Neufchatel under construction for a good example, under the topic "20 gun American Privateer schooner" or something like that)

Sorry if I almost started ranting there.

Actually, I'm of the same opinion. Bounty hunters in galleons or warships is just plain wrong. And there seems half the Caribbean were populated by bounty hunters

I respectfully disagree with several of the above opinions. I believe this is really dependent on era. If you want to confine your argument to 1750 - Disney POTC time and 1800 - Aubrey time, then I don't disagree with you. But that is such a small and different time in comparison to the majority of the true golden age of piracy (which is the time COAS is set in) I personally like the bounty hunter aspect. I really see this era as much more "WILD WEST" and indeed it was!

The earlier classic era of piracy is so full of intrugue that history can't possibly reveal to us now just how many bounties were posted and how many unsuccessful (even successful) bounties were collected. It is well known that King Phillip II (probably the most powerful man on earth at the time) hated Drake so badly that he put a bounty on his head equivalent to $10 million today. How many expeditions to kill him were formed that we don't even know about now? - lost to history,

Other long lived successful pirates and privateers had similar bounties put on them by heads of states and governors. The same would happen to nobles that supported privateers (kill the source of their commission). Look at the vid from Alatriste. He is employed for bounty to put an end to an unknown traveller (the Duke of Buckingham travelling incognito)

As far as ship are concerned, often rich merchants from the early to mid 17th century would outfit a privateer. Do you realize that the pirates of Dunkirk alone seized over 1400 ships in the 1620-30s. Tell me they didn't put huge bounties on some of those guys. Just look at the famous "Cross of the Dutchman" we know what happened to him. So these fitted out ships to "collect bounties" would not have been the sleek sloops discussed above at the end of the 18th century(in which the era of piracy was pretty much at an end). Small fast galleons, pinnaces and fregattes (warships - or armed merchantmen: hard to distiguish a real difference between them in the first half of the 17th century) would have been the vessels fitted out by pirates, privateers and "bounty hunters" in the 1600s. ;) MK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPowh7IEhbE

I have that movie on DVD, it's pretty neat. Lots of cool clothing and I love the weapons, wish we had more of that stuff in the game.

I respectfully disagree with several of the above opinions. I believe this is really dependent on era. If you want to confine your argument to 1750 - Disney POTC time and 1800 - Aubrey time, then I don't disagree with you. But that is such a small and different time in comparison to the majority of the true golden age of piracy (which is the time COAS is set in) I personally like the bounty hunter aspect. I really see this era as much more "WILD WEST" and indeed it was!

The earlier classic era of piracy is so full of intrugue that history can't possibly reveal to us now just how many bounties were posted and how many unsuccessful (even successful) bounties were collected. It is well known that King Phillip II (probably the most powerful man on earth at the time) hated Drake so badly that he put a bounty on his head equivalent to $10 million today. How many expeditions to kill him were formed that we don't even know about now? - lost to history,

Other long lived successful pirates and privateers had similar bounties put on them by heads of states and governors. The same would happen to nobles that supported privateers (kill the source of their commission). Look at the vid from Alatriste. He is employed for bounty to put an end to an unknown traveller (the Duke of Buckingham travelling incognito)

Well Sir, I must say that I respectfully, uh...agree with the above statement. My era of expertise does not coincide with the "golden age," and I sincerely appreciate the explanation. However, It is becoming very hard to distinguish the proper time period now, since there are so many vessels from so many time periods in the modded game. That being said, I think that some compromise can be made in favor of realism.

For example, I find it incredibly odd that the bounty hunters sometimes sail around in huge warships, and that they always seem to know exactly where you are, even if you are in the middle of the ocean. You also receive a bounty at the very slightest provocation. (although since you seem to know more about the politics of that particular era than I do, so you would be better suited to addressing that particular issue) The Former issue could be fixed by giving them more historically realistic vessels. (ingame vessels like you described, and smaller fast vessels from the later models, to match the games varied time period vessels) The chance of encountering bounty hunters at sea could be reduced in order to simulate them searching for you in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. As it is now, it feels like there are bounty hunters specifically looking for you every fifteen miles, or that they have your ship on GPS.

And for the pointless philosophic statement of the day: Maybe the Wild West was more Age of Pirates... It did, after all, occur second.

To me the problem with GOF right now is that there are so many different things from different time periods it just doesn't really make sense ... we see late era ships and character models that look Napoleonic... ugh. To me it all should be kept within the mid 17th century, like the games period, 1665. Kinda off topic, but just my opinion. I fully agree with you MK, the earlier, classic golden age of piracy is fascinating! :onya

Well Mates,

I must agree on the confusion and inauthenticity of the stuff we have crammed into GOF from multiple eras.

I can tell you that for that reason alone I decided to change GOF dramatically. For the past several month I have been hard at work on a mod I am calling "Privateers & Profit". You may have seen some glimpses of this work from my YouTube videos.

Unfortuneately we have not figured out how to achieve building a "period mod" like they have in the Build Mods with toggles to allow you to select your era. So Privateers & Profit has three seperate MODULES. Each one is it's own seperate mod game version of GOF.

Module 1 is from 1585-1640, Module 2 is from 1648-1725, and Module 3 is from 1750-1825

RIght now I have done the most work on Module 1 and 2 because its a matter of elimination and substitution (ships & uniforms mostly). There are a couple of other things I am attempting as well, like changing colony nationality (Belize = English, Trinidad/Port of Spain = Dutch, etc...)

Module 2 is much further along and much more stable. Main reason is that its the era I like best (and the actual era of the game) I have successfully extracted all late period ships from this version and it works. Module 1 is unstable. When you cut too deeply, too fast, you run into problems. My method now is to cut tiny bits out and then test. Module 3 will be my last work, because I really don't care about the late era that much.

Once the GOF mod team is finished with GOF 1.2 they have agreed to jump in to help me finish the period Modules I am working on. I believe I will have Module 2 ready to go in a couple more months, but don't know if I want to release it seperately without the other companion modules finished as well.

MK

Well Mates,

I must agree on the confusion and inauthenticity of the stuff we have crammed into GOF from multiple eras.

I can tell you that for that reason alone I decided to change GOF dramatically. For the past several month I have been hard at work on a mod I am calling "Privateers & Profit". You may have seen some glimpses of this work from my YouTube videos.

Unfortuneately we have not figured out how to achieve building a "period mod" like they have in the Build Mods with toggles to allow you to select your era. So Privateers & Profit has three seperate MODULES. Each one is it's own seperate mod game version of GOF.

Module 1 is from 1585-1640, Module 2 is from 1648-1725, and Module 3 is from 1750-1825

RIght now I have done the most work on Module 1 and 2 because its a matter of elimination and substitution (ships & uniforms mostly). There are a couple of other things I am attempting as well, like changing colony nationality (Belize = English, Trinidad/Port of Spain = Dutch, etc...)

Module 2 is much further along and much more stable. Main reason is that its the era I like best (and the actual era of the game) I have successfully extracted all late period ships from this version and it works. Module 1 is unstable. When you cut too deeply, too fast, you run into problems. My method now is to cut tiny bits out and then test. Module 3 will be my last work, because I really don't care about the late era that much.

Once the GOF mod team is finished with GOF 1.2 they have agreed to jump in to help me finish the period Modules I am working on. I believe I will have Module 2 ready to go in a couple more months, but don't know if I want to release it seperately without the other companion modules finished as well.

MK

That sounds VERY interesting MK. Yeah I don't care much for the late era as well, but you've probably guessed that already from my previous post. :urgh I am very interested to see the progress you have done on your mod MK, I am using Takeda-One's 17th century English soldier mod but you still see those dam Napoleonic marine skills. Kills the immersion of the game IMO. My advise to you would be to maybe focus on the 2nd module for now, since that is the one within the games time frame. This way development is constant and concentrated and you aren't going back and forth doing all this work on different periods. The other periods can come much later if there is enough demand, but its just too much work, just focus on one. :onya

those dam Napoleonic marine skills. Kills the immersion of the game IMO. My advise to you would be to maybe focus on the 2nd module for now

They aren't quite Napoleonic I believe... But I would definitely be interested in module 3. Have any of you by chance read Aubrey/Maturin?

I have that movie on DVD, it's pretty neat. Lots of cool clothing and I love the weapons, wish we had more of that stuff in the game.

OP, I too have the movie on DVD. I special ordered it. It is one of my top 10 favorite movies. Its Spanish with subtitles, but I don't care. I've actually been learning Spanish. This movie is one of the most authentic portrayals of this time I've ever seen. It also has some of the best, authentic sword play of any movie existant. It's a masterpiece! I plan on doing a review for the Main PA page soon. Gotta get my next installment of Heyn's story up first tomorrow.

MK

Back