• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Box art and User Manual

Bartolomeu o Portugues

Buccaneer
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
What do you think of having a box art and user manual for the Build mod?
So that people can print them to have a real box game :rolleyes:

Whats to do?:unsure I mean maybe it is something for me

Last edited:
It could be, i am a painter and pictures is me! But i got to knows whats its takes.
My educations is before computer times:pirate07:
But i am interested.

We did try to create a user manual a couple of years ago, I contributed a bit and I think it is still included with the Build Mod, the other person working on it is no longer around though. I did complete the History and Tutorials manual, which is also included, but you can find an updated copy HERE! I do need to do some more updating to it though...:wp

Ah, ok, I misunderstood. That was the original idea behind the manual, quick and simple with basic controls, but somehow it got blown well out of proportion. I also think a one page ship identification guide would be good, kinda like the old WWII US silhouette cards.

It would be great to have a few lines with tips how to play WoodesRogers as it's a little different in game style.
Talisman posted something that was good in the topic:
Woodes Rogers - Advice for playing the Story.

But you're a storm modder. So, I suppose you know how to use a graphics editor, right?:)
  • I have little experience in Jasc paint shop pro. Mostly my own pictures. Unfornately I lost Adobe Suite and Jasc, when my old computer die.
  • I planed to buy some new programs, but they are expensive, so it takes a little time before i have them.I read your information about box art,
  • so in the waiting time, i will have a look at the concept, and see if its something for me:read:facepalm:ahoy

I agree with Bartolomeu, Gimp is awesome! I use it all the time myself. It is almost as powerful as Photoshop, but it does have a bit of a learning curve. You can get it HERE!

If you are using Windows mate, I would also suggest Paint.NET as an alternative, it is also free and does some things quite well, it is also a lot easier to use for some things.

So, Ansel, you have the tools to start working on the box art. Any suggestions, we could give to Ansel about what to draw for the front cover?
featuring the main characters of the storylines?? A ship in the background??

Another tool to put in your tool box if you work with documents too, if you don't have it already is Libre Office, yet another free program that is just awesome! I used it quite extensively when creating the PDF for the History and Tutorials manual. It is a fantastic office suit! The only real problem is that Microsoft keeps changing their Office compatibility, so their format conflicts in some ways with Libre Office.

Free software is always better! I don't mean that from just a monetary standpoint. Most developers working on free software are doing it for the same reasons that we Mod, they see a need and want to help people and volunteer their time. They are not being told what features are important by some group of suits in a stuffy boardroom only concerned with squeezing every cent possible from their costumers.

As for box art, it sounds like Ansel has some ideas of his own! In my opinion though, a boarding seen with a bit of fire and smoke would be awesome, maybe a pirate sloop attacking a merchant galleon! :duel:

When we get to a finished Build 14, we should definitely see about having an up-to-date manual to go with it to explain the various new features.

Either that or have them explained in-game through the tutorial,
interfaces that speak for themselves and/or rumours to point the players towards the new stuff.

When you consider all the story lines we have added, it basically is several new games all put in one neat little box! :onya

I will try to get to work on the new manual soon.

Back