• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Brave Black Flag

why take out ships o_O
Well, when you put the old side-by-side with the new...
Comparison4.jpg
One rather upstages the other. :wp

Also: there was once another attempt to upgrade the stock frigate, which maintained the original shape, but unfortunately the modeller left before he could release the files.

for what its worth i rely like those frigates

:nb i should add they are very easy to sink

edit2: allso i just captured a merchant with it .. on board the ship was 1.2 millon worth of silver so at least she pays herself off.

Yeah, I had to re-do their entries since the file layout has changed a lot since they were in the game. I dropped their hull values since they represent old, beat-down ships the navy won't use any more. They're no doubt leaky and have been patched over and over during their service life so they just can't take the beating they once could. The nitch they fill is providing a new (and cash-poor) character with something that has some punch early-on but basically acts as a stepping-stone craft until they come on a merchantman full of silver, lol.

EDIT: I also degraded their sailing characteristics a bit as they are likely rough-hulled and starting to hog.

Last edited:
@Armada, I totally agree that the new is the way to go when you want to keep the number in check. I re-added these ones because looking terrible was actually a selling point for what I had in mind.

Yeah, I had to re-do their entries since the file layout has changed a lot since they were in the game. I dropped their hull values since they represent old, beat-down ships the navy won't use any more. They're no doubt leaky and have been patched over and over during their service life so they just can't take the beating they once could. The nitch they fill is providing a new (and cash-poor) character with something that has some punch early-on but basically acts as a stepping-stone craft until they come on a merchantman full of silver, lol.

yeah that sounds about right allso awesome heh but when you pop me into the mix it all gets turned on its i kinda sorta sold the silver , the ship and then just upgraded my frigate ive grown rather attached to her.

add: the whole premise there is awesome i love used and repurposed things so those frigates are right up my alley i love them. and as an update to how much monney i have made with mine i am up to 3 million with cheats disabled in the settings.
Well, when you put the old side-by-side with the new...
Comparison4.jpg
One rather upstages the other. :wp

Also: there was once another attempt to upgrade the stock frigate, which maintained the original shape, but unfortunately the modeller left before he could release the files.

Absolutely you are right one does upstage the other no dispute there.. but i like both though and am happy to see both in my own game keeping in mind this is coming from a person who gets all his clothes from a military disposal store and thinks his 30yo truck is the bees knees so my thoughts and opinions on things are certainly to be taken with a grain of salt. i would love to see both in the ship pack it looks like jason will be playing with if he got that working it would become a preference at that point to what ships you want additional to the ones officially in the build mod which would be prety cool.

Last edited:
MORE goodness? Wow. :woot

You didn't like the incompetent Nevis blacksmith? Bit of humour there? :razz

Mainly just some clean-up stuff. I left out a gm file for the new sword, forgot to deal with fat boy in Port Royale to start with... As for the blacksmith--He was a little funny but that port becomes an important location in BBf so... It's only altered for that storyline.

Ah, makes sense. :onya

You're planning on adding more story content then! Sounds exciting. :dance

Once I figure out how, sure! lol. I have a long storyline idea but still haven't gotten my head around the mechanics of adding missions.

A big problem is that there are no modding tutorials for this game to speak of. Those that exist are so wildly out of date as to be more harmful than helpful to read. I'm going to write-up a couple myself once I have a little time: one on adding ships, one on adding character models, and one on items since those are the things I've worked-out to some degree. We need to get some current tutorials in place so modding for this aging but awsome game doesn't die out.

EDIT: BTW, where should I post them once ready? The modding thread or woud somewhere else be more appropraite?

How to add this mod with my existing build 14.3.2? There is no .exe. So just copy & paste all files & folder?? or some other way??

Yes, just drag and drop the PROGRAM and RESOURCE folders into your game folder and confirm any overwrites.

PLEASE NOTE: This was made for 14.3.3 however and I don't know what, if any, issues there may be from using it with 14.3.2.

You can update to 14.3.3. here: http://piratesahoy.net/build/b14_beta3-3_wip3.exe

I would advise updating to 14.3.3 anyway as it is much more stable.

Just downloaded 1.0.3 and I think I need a fresh install.
I do install BBF 1.0.2 after updating with wip 14.3.3, but game crashing when I am going to start a new game :(
error says "
RUNTIME ERROR - file: utils.c; line: 2212
function 'RefreshStorylines' stack error"

Just downloaded 1.0.3 and I think I need a fresh install.
I do install BBF 1.0.2 after updating with wip 14.3.3, but game crashing when I am going to start a new game :(
error says "
RUNTIME ERROR - file: utils.c; line: 2212
function 'RefreshStorylines' stack error"

Back