• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Brave Black Flag

Does anyone happen to have this storyline merged with the New Locations mod?
Would save me some time and effort when including it in the next modpack release.... :wp
I tried Brave black Flag with the new locations on, it dos not work well.Turks and Nevis suddenly turn hostile against me, the leaders to ,
so I cant get my reward after the ship hunt, govener will kill me. Clint Eastwood will have no gun, when you have defeated him.Also I saw
some ships sailing on land, in Oranjestadt port.

If I can, I'm hoping to combine all modding work again some time over the.... next week perhaps?

Finally gotten round to working on this!
I am even doing some improvements on the flag textures you added, putting back the shadow and 3D effects. :doff

At the moment I am not intending to include the ships, to keep modpack size down a bit. Exception is the Iceni Queen herself.
The idea is that Jason can make those into an additional download.

I am ending up doing a substantial reworking of the new Starting Professions to ensure it doesn't interfere with the existing storylines.
Also adding some extra features to it, including enabling the Custom choice when Auto Skill System is OFF only (because it doesn't work with ON anyway).

And a screenshot of what I'm doing:

upload_2014-9-20_19-59-1.png

Adding some text descriptions for the various types. Would anyone care to actually fill something in there?
Also, the Standard storyline still starts at rank 1, but all OTHER ones now have the rank 5 start as per @Jason Maffettone's idea.

And when Auto Skill System is OFF, the Standard Storyline always allows you to select your starting skills (because this is needed for tutorial purposes).

List of changes made by me yesterday:
- Reinstate Custom Player Type, but only for Auto Skill System OFF
- Add hidden "Land Owner" player type for Gold-Bug storyline
- Standard storyline starts at Rank 1, all other storylines that allow Free Play start at rank 5
- Player Type dependent weapons given instead of original storyline weapons, so you don't get two starting blades
- Tailor will only sell you the Famous Pirate Collection IF you have the 10000 gold required (prevents going into negative money)
- Maximum ship tier remains at 6 for Standard storyline
- Include Player Type descriptions
- Iceni Queen, wooden version, included
- Irish Harp personal flag texture improved with shadow and 3D effects to match all the other ones
- Gunfighter Perk available ONLY in Napoleonic time period and Brave Black Flag
- Many changes made to allow all storylines to make full use of the new Player Types, without this modification interfering with their original intent

Here some screenshots of the improved Player Type selection:
upload_2014-9-21_11-52-19.png upload_2014-9-21_11-52-27.png

Last edited:
Nifty! I'll write those up, Peter. Sorry, I went away for cuple of days. I'll have them by tomorrow night! Yes, only the Iceni Queen is needed for the mod. Also version 3 can be dumped as I don't like how it came out anyway. SuperFrigate and SuperFrigate2 are the needed ones.

Also the gunfighter perk can come out of BBF, I will send along a replacement for the flintlock revolver that Jack Rackham made for me. I have a couple of smal tweaks in fact. I'll do a 1.4 update with the ships stripped and the new needed info. Thanks for the pic so I can see how long I can make the descriptions.

Actually, I already found some usable descriptions in your readme that I put to good use.
But feel free to improve on them, of course! Though.... you already wrote them.

Anyway, the file is RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\PlayerType_descriptions.txt .
Please ignore the stupid line-by-line coding of it; that's the only way I could make it work.
Perhaps some other way is possible too, but I didn't have time to try it.

Last edited:
I actually meant to ask you if there was a way to use that space for a description but forgot too... :)

Great minds....? Seemed like such a waste, especially with all that cool stuff you added.

I did want to argue a little about the level thing though before we finalize anything, lol. ;) Due to the skills being seperate from character level now I don't think it should really be necessary to advance the character's starting level to 5. That's the level you'd need in the old system for 10 skill points but the skills advance very uneavenly and some of them are quite slow--sailing for example. I think it would be fine to have the character start out at 1st level even with the extra skills for this reason. It eliminates te need to grind away at BS just to get them up to a usable level and only theMelee really affects ground play in a significant way and that rockets up very quickly as it is.

The main thing that concerns me with that is that if you are level 1 with level 5 skills at game start, then all enemies will be generated as if you are level 1.
That makes all enemies weaker compared to yourself for the entirety of the game, because you effectively always remain 5 levels ahead.
But the only way to find out whether that actually works out the way I describe is if some people were to experiment with it.

If the raise of experience gain is too slow, especially in certain skills, then that is a balancing problem and should probably be addressed in a different way.

PotC also only offers a maximum of 10 points on any given skill, so it is quite doable to max everything out.
Starting out with higher skills at lower level would speed up this process in two ways:
1. You have less skills to gain before reaching 10 at everything
2. On lower character levels, you deliberately gain skills faster

Would probably be a different story if we had 100 skill points max like AoP 2 does.
But that would require more fiddling with code, which I don't particularly want to be doing.... :oops:

So has anyone been playing with those new Player Type selections? Do things seem to make sense?
Is there any further work required on it?

Back