• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Brave Black Flag

I'm not sure what you mean by "right now". Playing the 9th November version of Beta 3.3, the "Assassin" storyline started me off at level 5.
It did start you at level 5, but your HP would have been 40/80 instead of 80/80 like it should be for a level 5 start.
As per yesterday's release, this should all match up properly.

As for the Hibernian, I set its rarity to 0.03. It's still fairly common, though as "Assassin" is set in the "Spanish Main" period, a lot of swords which become available in "Golden Age" don't exist so there is less competition for the Hibernian. But at least it is no longer the standard equipment for every enemy.
Indeed I made that change in my local initItems.c, but failed to put it in yesterday's update.
Will be in the next one for sure though. :yes

The blacksmith in Sao Jorge : The price for making a gun fine ore excellent is the same, so he can`t make it excellent.
Where is the file to change the price?

Attachments

• compile.log
    3 KB · Views: 283
Hmm... Now I see you replaced the Danish (personal) flag with an Irish one. Wouldn't it be better if you took the spot of a nation that was actually not active in the Caribbean? - because Denmark owned several colonies there...

If you have a suggestion on what flag to replace instead, feel free to say so.

Actually, if @Jack Rackham does end up adding a new nation into the game, perhaps the Danish could be handled as a PROPER nation and therefore would not need to use a personal flag.
That is for some time in the future though, of course. Right now we're just focusing on fixing and finishing.

I'll need a swedish flag at a point.
The workaround I did long time ago was to replace the texture position reserved for the us flag.
It was free as it's 1724.
Maybe something like that can be done gain?

Attachments

• nueva suecia.jpg
    nueva suecia.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 267
There's already a Swedish personal flag, right next to where the Danish one used to be. Maybe the spot of the flag of the Knights of Malta could be used for the Danish one now then, it's almost the same as a variant of their flag anyway. I'd gladly do it if you're fine with it. The old Danish flag needed some adjustment anyway (the cross shouldn't be centered).

I'll need a swedish flag at a point.
The workaround I did long time ago was to replace the texture position reserved for the us flag.
It was free as it's 1724.
Maybe something like that can be done gain?
That is indeed what we should do for Guest Nations. :yes

Okay, I've gone ahead and added the Danish flag again, slightly tweaked. I did the same for the Swedish flag - that is I moved the cross a little bit to the left on both of them. The Danish flag replaces the Knights of Malta flag.

PS. Sorry for being a bit grumpy about the removal, I put it in myself a couple of years ago.

:beer:

Attachments

• Danish&SwedishFlags 11-01-15.zip
    710.5 KB · Views: 271
It's always difficult to fit in everything at the same time. :facepalm

Which other flags did you replace? The Knight of Malta flag is used for story purposes in the Bartolomeu storyline.
Though perhaps another flag could be used there. @Bartolomeu o Portuges?

Note that any flag replacements also require changes in RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\Flags .

Ah! I didn't know that. I wonder which one I could replace without stepping on someone's toes.

Yes, it's all in there, Pieter.

(EDIT: Only the Knights of Malta flag btw)

Last edited:
Would you mind if we keep things as-is for now and look into this for Beta 3.5? Running out of time. :modding

Ideally I'd like to put real nations in their proper place, for example next to the USA flag
and possibly replacing its position in time periods where they don't exist yet.

If necessary, we should be able to add extra free lines for personal flags. Then we can provide more choice with full freedom.

Yes yes, just make a proper Danish nation and add in the Danish West Indies already! :pirate41:

Nah, I'm fine with that. (Would be awesome if there was a small chance of encountering Danish or even Swedish ships though :wp)

@Jack Rackham mentioned something along those lines, if I recall.
Just make a Feature Request for extra nations. We know it is possible and the support is there in the code.
We would just need to make use of it. Nations without islands already exist in some time periods, so that simplifies things.

Sounds splendid. But can someone serve under that nation then? What with promotions and all?

If it is added properly, then yes. For island-less nations, there should be an envoy added to an existing governor's mansion.

btw noticed a little bug.
at the start the guy talks to you. if you skip the tutorial but press the space bar very quick you can talk to him again. if you say to skip again you will get the movie of the storm and reload on the island then get the movie again and reload somewhere different. Maybe add a check so you can't talk to him twice?

That probably applies to the Standard storyline too.

I don't want to get too far into that until we start sorting out the storyline customization options.

So very soon I will be merging Brave Black Flag together with Nelson to eventually become one single "master" Free Play storyline.
For that purpose, I'd like to kick out as much useless code as possible. So here's my question: What about me removing the tutorial from Brave Black Flag altogether?
We can keep the explanatory opening scene with custom dialog in the cabin, but is there really any need for the full tutorial to be available?

That depends on whether you want to cater for novice players. If the tutorial disappears from the unified free play then the only way they'll see a tutorial is by playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk".

Back