• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Bridgetown fort is undestroyable

Moved back to the bug tracker

In Beta 3.4 -- I assume you are trying to attack Bridgetown to free Clement Araalentis ( or however his name is spelt) -the researcher.

The Capture Colonies Mod is working in Beta 3.4 - so the walk through is completely wrong - I will be updating it in the next couple of days.

What happens is - after you fight the soldiers in the Lighthouse - exit the lighthouse and Danielle talks to you - there are 2 options in the dialog

1 - Go back to the ship - this lets you go back to your ship and go and get some larger ships ( if you do not have any with you ) to attack the fort with. When you have the ships you need - Go back to the lighthouse - Danielle will talk to you when you land and give you the same 2 Options as before. - This is all explained in the dialog (but not very clearly - it took me ages to work out what was going on:modding)

2 - Lets Attack Now - This option transports you to your ship - transports your ship to Bridgetown Fort and removes the Immortality from the Fort - this is the option you should use to Attack Bridgetown to Free Clement. :yes

So you cannot just sail up to Bridgetown Fort and attack it :no - you have to use the option in the dialog that transports you to your ship and transports you ship from Lighthouse Bay to Bridgetown Fort for the attack to begin :yes

This situation is because I think it is not possible to capture the original game towns while playing the main Sea Hawk Story - to stop any quest conflicts perhaps :shrug - therefore to capture Bridgetown the town capture has to be specifically enabled and the code for that is connected to option 2 in Danielle's the dialog

From quests-reaction.c - code disabling town capture

Code:
case "silehard_Story_Oxbay_Captured_15_afterExit":
  CaptureTownForNation("Greenford", ENGLAND);
  CaptureTownForNation("Falaise de Fleur", FRANCE);
  CaptureTownForNation("Isla Muelle", SPAIN);
  CaptureTownForNation("Douwesen", HOLLAND);
  CaptureTownForNation("Conceicao", PORTUGAL);
  CaptureTownForNation("Quebradas Costillas", PIRATE);

DisableTownCapture("Greenford", true);
  DisableTownCapture("Falaise de Fleur", true);
  DisableTownCapture("Isla Muelle", true);
  DisableTownCapture("Douwesen", true);
  DisableTownCapture("Conceicao", true);
  DisableTownCapture("Quebradas Costillas", true);

the code in Daneille_dialog.c

Code:
case "CaptureGreenford_5":
  NextDiag.TempNode = "GoToShip";
  Dialog.Text = DLG_TEXT[262];
  Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[263];
  Link.l1.go = "CaptureGreenford_exit";
  Link.l2 = DLG_TEXT[264];
  Link.l2.go = "We_Are_ready_exit";
  break;

which goes to

Code:
case "We_Are_ready_exit":
  EndQuestMovie();TrackQuestMovie("end","danielle_dialog.c -> We_Are_ready_exit");
  DialogExit();
  NextDiag.CurrentNode = NextDiag.TempNode;
  SetQuestHeader("Capture_greenford");
  AddQuestRecord("Capture_greenford", 2);
  AddDialogExitQuest("Story_GreenfordAssaultStarted");
  break;

which goes to:-

from quests_reaction.c

The code enabling Bridgetown to be captured ( to free the Researcher )

Code:
case "Story_GreenfordAssaultStarted":
  Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Greenford Commander")].Dialog.Filename = "Greenford Commander_dialog.c";
  Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Greenford Commander")].Dialog.BoardingNode = "capture_of_Greenford";
  QuestToSeaLogin_PrepareLoc("Oxbay", "Quest_Ships", "Quest_ship_23", true);
  QuestToSeaLogin_Launch();
  //Islands[FindIsland("Oxbay")].reload.l6.go = "Fake_Greenford_fort"; // KK
  /*Pchar.quest.Story_CaptureGreenfordFort.win_condition.l1 = "FORT_destroy";
  Pchar.quest.Story_CaptureGreenfordFort.win_condition.l1.character = "Greenford Commander";
  Pchar.quest.Story_CaptureGreenfordFort.win_condition = "Story_CaptureGreenfordFort";*/
  /*PChar.quest.Story_CaptureGreenford.win_condition.l1 = "Colony_capture";
  PChar.quest.Story_CaptureGreenford.win_condition.l1.town = "Greenford";
  PChar.quest.Story_CaptureGreenford.win_condition = "Story_CaptureGreenford";*/
  LAi_SetImmortal(characterFromID("Greenford Commander"), false);  <<<<----  THIS LINE MAKES IT POSSIBLE TO CAPTURE BRIDGETOWN FORT
  /*SetNationRelation2MainCharacter(GetTownNation("Greenford"), RELATION_ENEMY);
  SetRMRelation(PChar, GetTownNation("Greenford"), RelationToRMRelation(RELATION_ENEMY));
  UpdateRelations();
  SetCharacterRemovable(characterFromID("Danielle"), true);
  RemovePassenger(Pchar, characterFromID("Danielle"));
  RemoveCharacterCompanion(pchar, characterFromID("danielle"));
  iForceDetectionFalseFlag = 1; // KK
  bQuestDisableMapEnter = true;
  //--------------Отключение возможности выгрузиться на остров
  Island_SetReloadEnableGlobal("Oxbay", false);*/
  //Group_SetAddress("Story_English_Squadron", "Oxbay", "Quest_Ships","Quest_ship_23");
  //DoReloadCharactertoLocation("Oxbay", "reload", "reload_fort1");
  /*Pchar.quest.Story_FightingInGreenfordPort.win_condition.l1 = "location";
  Pchar.quest.Story_FightingInGreenfordPort.win_condition.l1.location = "Fake_Greenford_port";
  Pchar.quest.Story_FightingInGreenfordPort.win_condition = "Story_FightingInGreenfordPort";*/
  break;

So whether this is a Bug or just strange coding - I don't know :shrug

:walkplank

:drunk

Last edited:
So @Talisman no bug then?

I don't really know - :shrug

Perhaps @Pieter Boelen - should take a look at the coding and see if it is sensible - and whether the player should be allowed to sail to Bridgetown Fort - rather than being forced to be transported there.

(I think it is a bit of original game code that has got left behind in all the changes - and with the capture Colonies Mod not working for so long it got forgotten about.) :yes

:drunk

The original game had more needless forced reloads; would be nice to get rid of those if we can....

:ahoy @Kpax7

After destroying the Fort & fighting your way through some sections of the Fort and the town - the fighting will stop and the Fort Commander should be nearby - you talk to him ( this is all the Capture Colonies Mod)

After talking to Fort Commander - ( now back to the Story code ) - transported to another section of town and then the Lighthouse & Danielle & Researcher talk to you - then transported back to town.

I am not sure if what happens next is very clear in the game :shrug - you should go to the tavern and hire a room (7 days will pass automatically ) - then go out of room and in the Tavern Danielle will talk to you -crew member runs up and the English attack on Bridgetown starts.

I am also not sure if your ships are repaired automatically when you go to the Tavern room --- if you Save just before you talk to the Fort Commander, could you check this for me?

If your ships are not repaired automatically then you have to go to the shipyard and repair them before going to the tavern room.

I hope this helps you - any suggestions for making this or any other part of the story/ game more understandable are always very welcome. :thumbs1

:ship

Last edited:
I am not sure if what happens next is very clear in the game :shrug - you should go to the tavern and hire a room (7 days will pass automatically ) - then go out of room and in the Tavern Danielle will talk to you -crew member runs up and the English attack on Bridgetown starts.
Might be nice to change that so you get the chance to actually SPEND those 7 days doing whatever you need to do first.
Lots of things could do with some tweaking and improving, really. :facepalm

I don't really know - :shrug
Perhaps @Pieter Boelen - should take a look at the coding and see if it is sensible - and whether the player should be allowed to sail to Bridgetown Fort - rather than being forced to be transported there.
I played last night and as you said I had to land in Light house FOR THE SECOND TIME and talk to Danielle before attacking the fort! And that wasn't easy to figure, because I thought I must speak to Danielle to start the fort attack but you must be in that special location (light house) to trigger the talk.
And why the fort is indestructible?!! I thought in new versions one can capture any colonies he fancies!

:ahoy @Kpax7

I am also not sure if your ships are repaired automatically when you go to the Tavern room --- if you Save just before you talk to the Fort Commander, could you check this for me?

Thanks for your complete explanation! Before reading this I figured it all by myself last night trying to complete the quest!
Interesting thing is you have to get a room in the tavern to trigger the 7-day-pass method! I by chance selected the option to sleep in the tavern hall and nothing happened :rofl And I quit the tavern and got back in and rented a room to understand that lol
As for the ship repair I didn't notice because my ships were at 99% or something LOL with those 1st class Dauntless ships killed the fort in a blink :pirate41:
But if it's important I go through my save files again to see if I have the save or not ...

Might be nice to change that so you get the chance to actually SPEND those 7 days doing whatever you need to do first.
Lots of things could do with some tweaking and improving, really. :facepalm
A hint can be added to questbook to "Get a room and wait 7 days" to avoid confusion!
On the other hand the 7 day fast forward can be quite dangerous! If you are low on ship provisions after 7 days you could face a mutiny and lose your ships :modding

And why the fort is indestructible?!! I thought in new versions one can capture any colonies he fancies!
With the exception of the stock game towns in the Standard Storyline because having those given to other towns would wreak havoc with the logic of the storyline.
Would admittedly be nice to still allow looting though.

A hint can be added to questbook to "Get a room and wait 7 days" to avoid confusion!
On the other hand the 7 day fast forward can be quite dangerous! If you are low on ship provisions after 7 days you could face a mutiny and lose your ships :modding
If I am going to do anything there, I'd rather make some more fancy improvements.
But I haven't a clue when I might get round to doing any of that. There is so much else also still to be done. :facepalm

maybe @Kpax7 could try some improvements there?
I'm really busy these days and despite that I try to test things and contribute because I love this game and this community!
I understand most of the game coding style but it takes time to figure which is which :D

today I was trying to understand a save file structure and got a headache lolz
I'd be happy to help though if i get a free time

So @Talisman no bug then?

@Levis - @Pieter Boelen

Having thought about this - I think it is not really a bug - just the unclear way (unhelpful for players) the original game was written/coded. :yes

I have updated the walk through on the Wiki for the Sea Hawk Main Story - Now includes the Capture Colonies ( Bridgetown) - and the mentions of old Bugs from previous versions have been removed.

So it is up to date as of Build 14 Beta 4. :checklist

:doff

Having thought about this - I think it is not really a bug - just the unclear way (unhelpful for players) the original game was written/coded. :yes
Indeed "Not a Bug" it is. Any further improvements should be considered a "Feature Request" and can be posted on the http://www.piratesahoy.net/forums/build-beta-and-brainstorming.187/ forum to indicate their lower priority.

I have updated the walk through on the Wiki for the Sea Hawk Main Story - Now includes the Capture Colonies ( Bridgetown) - and the mentions of old Bugs from previous versions have been removed.
So it is up to date as of Build 14 Beta 4. :checklist
Thanks for that! Less confusion is always good. :cheeky

yeah had to cheat in Nathan hawk storyline when you have to attack the Bridgetown fort not even bombs can help me its boring and the difficulty need to be lowed for that misson

yeah had to cheat in Nathan hawk storyline when you have to attack the Bridgetown fort not even bombs can help me its boring and the difficulty need to be lowed for that misson
Sounds to me like it's the very opposite of boring.

How do you figure it should be made easier? That fort has a certain strength. Only way to turn that down is by affecting ALL forts.
You do need to bring plenty firepower with you, of course.

You need a ship with big guns to take on a fort. At least 18lb, preferably 24lb. Capture someone's battleship, then go and visit Bridgetown. :rpirate

@Nightmare any news on this?
I guess the fort is guarded by "guard" type players which get an extra boost (just as navy ships which should be a pain to board also now :p).
I don't know exactly how the level of the guards during the boarding of the fort is determined. I might want to look into this after beta4 to make it more interesting (and maybe more depended of the economy etc).

I don't know exactly how the level of the guards during the boarding of the fort is determined. I might want to look into this after beta4 to make it more interesting (and maybe more depended of the economy etc).
Probably the same as normal boarding crews; they're generated for ships and forts in LAi_boarding.c .

Back