• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Brigantine Castell Friedrichsburg 1688, upgraded to 16 guns

I think Armada knows how to convert GM files back into Maya; maybe that could help?
Well if you mean using GM Viewer and selecting 'OBJ export', then I guess that would help.
You'd still need to redo all the materials, but the ship should convert to 1/100 of the game's scale, which is easier to work with than re-scaling all over again.

Thanks, I now how to export models back from GM. I prefer to use TOOL and export them to WRML, which can be edited with 3d max. It doesn't matter which way to choose for importing the GMs. It just take a lot of time to make a model suitable for the game. The most bothering problem is that the game world position is messed up after converting it from GM and it is VERY hard to find the same position when exporting it back to gm... It means that all locators coordinates should be updated... BTW, I have a plan of solving this problem and will try it when I'll have a little more free time.

P.S. It's really important for me to make the brigantine playable in PotC, because she is my very first ship created and my first work in 3d modeling. So I'll make everything possible to repair her.

Take your time and get her right. I know this is your first ship, and you will probably find that it is some little thing that you did not know about.

Oh. This ship sits low enough that you do not need to bother with the flagpole. I can see her fine as she is.

Thanks a lot for your efforts, Rider88; it's much appreciated! :woot

Hylie, you already tried the Castel with a completely different ships_init.c entry, right? That was the only other thing I can think of that might be the problem.
Otherwise, it seems to be a model thing, as completely bizarre as that sounds to me. :facepalm

Yes. I tried her as a class 4 heavy pinnace and then as a class 6 light pinnace. She should be a class 6 ship in POTC.

Since we got the flag-code sorted, it sounds like we ran out of code reasons for the ship to not work. That's really crappy, because code is easily changed and models are not. :modding

The most bothering problem is that the game world position is messed up after converting it from GM and it is VERY hard to find the same position when exporting it back to gm... It means that all locators coordinates should be updated... BTW, I have a plan of solving this problem and will try it when I'll have a little more free time.
Rider88, I think I might have a solution to this. Not sure if it's the same as what you had in mind, but it's worth a try.
With your model open in TOOL, before exporting to VRML, click 'Scene > Edit Scene'. Then, select the model name next to the [+] sign, and look in the spaces above 'Move to Position'.
Those three spaces show your model's main X,Y and Z coordinates as they are in the game world. You can use those to position your model once exported to VRML. ;)
You can also see the coordinates for each individual component if you click the [+] sign next to the model name, in case they need to be split up and reassembled later.

Just out of interest, has there been any progress made with repairing this model, so it can be used in PotC?
If nothing has been done, and it's possibly just a case of re-exporting a mast model, then I could give it a try, I guess.
It would be a shame to leave her out of the game for so long. :?

Do we know if it's a mast acting up? Really, I have no clue; never saw the problem with this ship before. :modding

Well if a mast was exported without the 'Build BSP' option in Maya, as Rider88 said, then I guess it could cause problems (wouldn't have collision detection, I suspect).
As far as I know, that's about all we have to go by, if it's definitely a model error and not a code problem. :shrug

Ah! You found this thread. Have you read the last three pages of this thread? There you will find why this ship is not in POTC.

That is some beautiful texture-work! And I especially like all the golden details as well. :onya

I am attempting the CastelF in POTC again. She is in the game and I am getting crashes all over the place. No idea why yet.
POTC CAB 2015-08-17 13-32-52-65.jpg POTC CAB 2015-08-17 13-34-26-10.jpg

Yes there is a lot in the logs, but I do not know if any of it is related to this ship or not. The first problem is that rey_a2 is not working. It will not rotate and it has no sail. I suspect a modeler will have to sort this mess out.

Attachments

• system.log
    4.2 KB · Views: 199
  • compile.log
    5.8 KB · Views: 169
Do you use the game in windowed mode? If so, switch to your desktop when you're on the worldmap and delete your log files.
Then reload to an empty 3D sailing mode scene and close the game.
That way you're certain that the entries in the logs relate to the ship you were sailing at the time.

What happens if you replace her rigging with that of another ship?

Back