• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Bring Exorcist book to library in Turks

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
At the end of church protection, the book_exorcist remained in my inventory. It cannot be dropped or put away, and has to be consoled away or else it permanently clutters up the inventory. Perhaps it should be removed at end of quest?

Edit by Levis:
The idea now is to have a little part after this quest where you can bring the book to the library in Turks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall, there is no code in place to actually take it away.

Line of code would be:
TakeItemFromCharacter (pchar, "itemID");

File would be PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c .

What wrong with the book :p?
Don't you like it?

Hmmm....maybe I know something else we could do with the book. There still is a library I haven't been able to use well. What about adding a little part to the end of this quests where they tell you there is someone on turks who might want to have the book?

What wrong with the book :p?
Don't you like it?
Probably takes up useless space in the inventory without serving any real purpose anymore?

Hmmm....maybe I know something else we could do with the book. There still is a library I haven't been able to use well. What about adding a little part to the end of this quests where they tell you there is someone on turks who might want to have the book?
Not a bad idea, actually! :onya

I love the library idea! Would certainly donate it.

Basically, like @Grey Roger mentioned in relation to art of war, having any book (or item for that matter) that can't be dropped is bothersome, because of the clunky scrolling inventory in potc.

If I were able to put the book in my chest, I wouldn't mind it. :)

Speaking of libraries, of a sort, one thing I would LOVE is a couple more chests in the captain's cabin. One for books maybe, and one for personal weapons I don't want in the locker, would be a godsend in terms of organization. But not sure if that is even possible :)

Speaking of libraries, of a sort, one thing I would LOVE is a couple more chests in the captain's cabin. One for books maybe, and one for personal weapons I don't want in the locker, would be a godsend in terms of organization. But not sure if that is even possible :)
That would certainly be nice. This is because those chests would need to be added to the deck model, which means they would also be in the same type of cabin when I board a ship, which means more chests to loot. :rpirate

If I were able to put the book in my chest, I wouldn't mind it. :)
In this case, it is a quest item, so allowing you to put it in a quest might break the quest.

Simplest solution is in PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c to add that last line:
Code:
    case "telescope finish":
       AddQuestRecord("telescope", 4);
       CloseQuestHeader("telescope");
       AddXP(pchar, SKILL_SNEAK, 1000, XP_GROUP_PARTY);
       AddXP(pchar, SKILL_DEFENCE, 500, XP_GROUP_PARTY);
       AddXP(pchar, SKILL_LEADERSHIP, 500, XP_GROUP_PARTY);
       AddXP(pchar, SKILL_ACCURACY, 500, XP_GROUP_PARTY);
       pchar.quest.telescope_quest.finished = true;
       TakeItemFromCharacter(pchar, "book_exorcist"); // PB: Remove superfluous item
     break
Would that suffice to fix this?

I think it's just a matter of adding some more locators to the cabin models.
Should not be too difficult: Locators with the TOOL | PiratesAhoy!

That would certainly be nice. This is because those chests would need to be added to the deck model, which means they would also be in the same type of cabin when I board a ship, which means more chests to loot. :rpirate
:cheeky

Pieter, your fix of removing the book after the quest works for me! If library stuff is added later it can always be changed again, but this solves the issue in the meantime.

The locators do seem easy to add. Would the contents automatically get transferred from ship to ship like in the current 2 chests? Or I imagine the second step would be finding where that is handled and duplicating it for the new chests?

EDIT anyway I might try adding some later if no one else does it beforehand, since it seems we all don't mind the idea of more chest compartments. :)

The locators do seem easy to add. Would the contents automatically get transferred from ship to ship like in the current 2 chests?
I do believe so. If I recall, the location ID remains the same for your cabin, but the model is swapped out.
So as far as the game knows, they remain the actual same chests. ;)

Moved to brainstorming. I'm planning on adding a little part to this quest soon to bring the book to the library.

Moved to brainstorming. I'm planning on adding a little part to this quest soon to bring the book to the library.
This could be moved to Build 15 as far as I'm concerned.
We've got a temp fix which simply takes the book away once the quest completes.
Not as interesting, but gets the job done.

It could be moved to build 15 but keep it here for now. It's not that hard and maybe if for example @Tingyun want to practice a bit with doing some questwork he could try to do this because it a matter of changing just 2 dialog files and probably adding just 1 more quest entry.

@Levis I can certainly look at it going forward, but I've currently got a list of 10 modding things on my to-do list that I am pretty excited about pursuing, and before I even get to most of them I need to properly run tests on your new captain generation system by playing the game.

So I don't mind doing it, but if it is me it will wait for awhile, probably until I am ready to start trying out quest writing in general.

Indeed let's not try to do everything at the same time. Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

Back