• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bringing back decks

Officerpuppy

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
In PoTC, when you went into a boarding action, you'd fight on the main deck, then (depending on the size of the ship) you'd move into the gun deck, a cargo hold and then finally the captains cabin.

It would be nice if we could restore this to CoAS. Several months ago I attempted to do this and id either get ctd's or the game would skip the new deck and go straight to the captains cabin.

The locations are there so there isn't anything that needs to be imported from PoTC or AoP, it's really just a question of coding it in.

I like this idea a lot OP! That was one of the things I liked about the original POTC. If I remember right, there were a couple of issues with it, and that may have been why they chose to code it out, but I am not 100% sure. :shrug

I have absolutely no idea how to help you implement it though, I am just here for moral support! :rolleyes:

I like this idea a lot OP! That was one of the things I liked about the original POTC. If I remember right, there were a couple of issues with it, and that may have been why they chose to code it out, but I am not 100% sure. :shrug
It's been working fine, as long as us modders didn't mess it up. :wp

I thought I remembered the decks having been treated like land locations or something, but it's been way to long ago! :shrug

That was a problem when we wanted to walk from deck to deck, but that was a feature added in Build 13 and Pirate_KK managed to sort that out nicely in Build 14.
It's not related to the actual boarding though. :shrug

Ahh, ok, thanks for the info mate!

I beg to disagree.

COAS fencing is unespeakable boring. In boardings most times you can't get close to the fight due to your men blocking the way. Multiplying the decks will not add challenge or fun but some more "stay here and watch" steps (and some times you can't even get close enough to watch either).

Cheers.
buho (A).

COAS fencing is unespeakable boring. In boardings most times you can't get close to the fight due to your men blocking the way. Multiplying the decks will not add challenge or fun but some more "stay here and watch" steps (and some times you can't even get close enough to watch either).
Based on my knowledge of what it's like in PotC, there's definitely some truth in this. Actually, quite a bit of truth! :rofl

Based on my knowledge of what it's like in PotC, there's definitely some truth in this. Actually, quite a bit of truth! :rofl
COAS fencing is quite good. It's not mount&blade but it's ok. The camera is annoying in closed spaces but with bigger scenaries it could be fun. If we could give orders to a boarding group like we do to officers, (hold, follow, charge) and if they won't be spawned randomly scattered between the 2 ships it would be interesting to fight through several locations.

By the way Peter, every time i try to search something in the code i find EventDatas and event handlers. I don't know if i could do anything with the source code but is it possible to take a look?
Just to know what can be done with it and how the engine works. We are in an unending loop talking about our wishes.

I'm in buho's camp on this one. Melée combat is already cumbersome. I'm not sure I'd want to add any more even if I was able.

To me this is two different issues. The fencing in COAS is far superior to POTC. You have tripple the options both in attack and defense. The problem of people getting in your way is an issue throughout the game and I believe a completely seperate issue. I wish there were a way in the AI for NPCs to move out of your way or for you to bulldoze your way through them if you have more strength than they do.

Boring is relative. I've played a lot of sword and board games and a lot of hack and slash. I think COAS fence system is very good compared to the other games. Mount and Blade and Oblivion in my mind are the only similar systems that surpass it.

If I didn't have the crew as an obstacle, then I would want the additional deck. Heck I want it anyway if it were not too hard to do. Ugh, Caveman say - More fighting GOOD.

MK

I'd like the idea of adding decks, if they could be made a bit more visually realistic.

I was just wandering by and noticed this thread. There seems to be an issue with crew members getting in the way while fighting in close quarters.

I have no ideer if this will work in GOF, but in POTC when I want to get past them I sheath me sword and am then able to slip past the fighters. Once past the gang I stop, turn, and draw me blade. :ixi

This is especially helpful in caves. :trio

The same thing can happen in CoAs too! You can sheath your sword to pass and then draw it and then continue the battle.

So, I don't see any reason for not adding more decks in CoAS as well... This will also mean more looting!

Back