• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug in "Find Angelique Moulin's Father"

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
I think I've found an odd bug in the "Find Angelique Moulin's Father" side quest. What's supposed to happen is that you go to the fort, kill or sneak past the guards, talk to Antoine Chamfort, he attacks you when you turn your back, you kill him, the quest book updates, and Francois Moulin is waiting for you in the Buccaneers' Camp.

On your way through the fort, you loot one or more chests. When you approach Chamfort, he becomes hostile and attacks you. You can kill him but the quest book does not update and Francois Moulin does not appear in the camp.

So you don't touch any chests. There's a civilian walking around and if you talk to him, one of the options is to demand money. After you've fleeced him, you approach Chamfort who becomes hostile and attacks.

Now for the weird part. You talk to the civilian and do not demand money - pick any response except that one. Now you can go up to Chamfort and talk to him, be attacked from behind, kill him and go to meet Moulin Senior as normal.

Now for the really weird part. You talk to the civilian, do not demand money, then go and loot the chests. You can then go up to Chamfort, talk to him, etc. as normal.

Attached is a savegame in which I've killed the guards in that part of the fort and made sure there's a civilian. (I had to go back and forwards between fort sections several times to get the civilian. :D) If necessary, I also have savegames just before you go into the fort and just before you talk to Angelique to start the quest.

This is consistent, and it's not just in this set of savegames. In my game I captured Port au Prince for Britain. That didn't bother Angelique, she still wanted someone to go and find her father. The only difference is that Antoine Chamfort was easier to identify, being the only person wearing French uniform in a fort full of Redcoats. :) The same problem happened then. More recently I figured it might be worth reporting, so I went back to an old savegame, sailed into Port au Prince under a false flag to save time, and re-did the quest saving game at a few key points.

Attachments

• -=Seahawk=- Hispaniola. MILITARY AREA. NO TRESPASSING! November 17th, 1752.7z
    685.5 KB · Views: 47
You are doing it all wrong! You should go talk to Chamfort first and then kill the soldiers. You can also loot the chests and then talk to Chamfort, just not the ones in his area of the fort.

Question: Do you go through the door and fight the soldiers in the store on the way to Chamfort?

If I can get to Chamfort without killing the soldiers then I don't need to kill the soldiers. ;) I've done it both ways, either dodging the soldiers or killing them before getting to Chamfort. He doesn't care, his reaction is dictated entirely by whether I looted chests or took money from civilians, regardless of whether the soldiers are still standing. I wiped them out prior to saving that game file because then I can reload it and try any combination of talking to the civilian and looting chests, which is how I was able to make such a complete report.

I don't go through the store. From the jungle, the first yard you enter is the same one you enter first when you're attacking a fort from the sea. From there a big door leads to the yard where Chamfort is standing on top of one of the walls. If you're lucky you can dodge past the soldier standing the other side of that door, otherwise he challenges you as soon as you enter and it's fight time. (Or you just go back through the gate to the first yard, then through it again to the second yard, repeat until you're not challenged in the second yard.)

The point of my report is that I can't loot chests before talking to Chamfort. The first time I tried it, he became hostile and attacked when I approached. I'd been talking to civilians too, probably demanding money, so I reloaded a savegame and went straight for Chamfort first. Then I looted the chests and robbed the civilians on the way out.

By the way, I'm still playing Beta 3.1, so that's probably what anyone wanting to try the savegame will need.

You will not be pleased to know that I can plunder chests and civilians on the way to Chamfort. I enter the first fort section either through the jungle or in town and loot the chests there and any civilians. Then I enter the store in the far corner and fight the soldiers and loot the chests. Here it gets troublesome as if there are civilians there, then sometimes Chamfort doesn't show when I go up the stairs and enter the 2nd fort area. From there I go straight to Chamfort and then down to the soldiers and any civilians. Then out the fort.

It looks like you have found a bug there that I was not aware of and it does need to be looked at.

Generally I enter from the jungle, the reason being you have to go to the Buccaneers' Camp first, talk to someone, go round to the beach, talk to Francois Moulin, then go to the fort.

Maybe the bug is unique to Beta 3.1. I don't recall having the same problem when I played "Tales of a Sea Hawk" under Beta 3, though I have no idea whether I looted chests and civilians before or after dealing with Chamfort that time. If the bug isn't present in Beta 3, which is what Beta 3.3 is based on, then it shouldn't be present in Beta 3.3 either.

Back