• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Bugs, problems and ideas => whereto?

JadenTrent

Powder Monkey
So, while playing the build mod for a very long time, i have always had a sheet handy to whrite down all of the bugs i encountered, problems i had and ideas that came to my mind to make the game even better.
they are all condensed into one docx, and i wish to contribute all of it to the gaming and modding community.

could someone give me three places to put
bugs
unconveniences with the gameplay
and most importantly ideas and creative thoughts?
i will attatch the list here as well for those interested, but i figure i should pigeonhole all of these things into where they belong in the forum.

*tried to upload it, it says the file "does not have an allowed extension", so if you fine people could help me with that aswell, that would be great. i will simply paste it here*

Hey guys

The following is a very long list of all Bugs, glitches, problems and also ideas I have come across playing your VERY epic build mod for about a year.

This is absolutely NO complaint, and I hope you will see that. I am only trying to contribute to improving the game and save you as many hours of bugspotting as possible J

Furthermore, note that I played the
B14 beta 3.1 (December 2013) throughout the entire time, so a number of bugs might be fixed by now.
I played TALES OF A SEA HAWK only. In other storylines, those problems may not appear.

1. Sometimes it is impossible to talk to smuggler-BUYERS. (you made the appointment with the dude in the tavern, you went to the destination.)
So you approach them to sell your goods, the “talk” action appears in your left hand upper corner, but nothing happens when pressing F3/<interact>
I don’t know when exactly this happens. It seems to have no pattern to me.

2. On Martinique there is an undying guard. On the exterior(city-part) which has the Townhall on it, there is a guard walking around like a pedestrian (NO fixed position) that has godmode. Just like barbossa and ragetty when encountering them for the first time.

3. Some(not all) street vendors are the richest basterds around the carribbean, bearing a financial strength of over 6,000,000, just like shop owners. I think it would be more authentic to make EVERYone that can not even rent a building for their everyday business rather poor, having only about 4k with them.

4. After gaining the “Land Troops” ability, you can attack FORTLESS settlements infinitely much, scoring 500k every time you repeat this action.

5. On the La Grenade harbor you are not able to fast travel because “something is going to happen” there. Either this is a glitch, or it is very unclear what exactly this is. I talked to every person on the exterior, nothing happened.
Also, as soon as the governors daughter is in the townhall, you can not fast travel, which is rather unnecessary to ask me.

6. When robbing guards (by using the sandbag/the tieve’s knife) they will remain unarmed forever. Even when you kill them, they respawn unarmed.

7. The second most important point:
GAMBLING.
Gambling is supposed to be an activity that increases your ‘luck’ skill.
I legitimately demand this to be much rather a side activity. It has been so frustrating and saddening to me that as soon as you would reach lvl6(or so) of the skill ‘luck’, you would never ever be able to gamble again, as no one ever would play with you, being scared from the fact that you became renowned to “be the best dice player around the Caribbean”.
PLS make the luck-increase by gambling logarithmic. The higher you are, the less you get.and for god’s sake, guys, keep it possible to gamble, as it simply is an authentic thing to do in the tavern, independent from your luck-‘skill’
You see, the problem is, that poker/blackjack/dices MASSIVELY increases your ‘luck’-skill

8. !!!Change of Daytime = Change of DATE!!!
This one has bothered me a lot. When in free sail mode, the date goes forward the moment the ‘jump’ to the next daytime happens e.g. sunset->night. In one moment it is December 17th, 19:00; in the next moment it is December 18th, 19:01. This effectively lets the date advance by at least 4 entire days (or are there more daytimes? I count sunrise, noon, sunset, night) per alleged day. This also makes free sail not the least bit more time-efficient than simply using the map, because time advances just as fast in map mode.

The following is a list of “Problems” that don’t count as bugs, but were quite a hindrance for me as a gamer and client of this mod.
(Maybe some of them are what they are on purpose and just don’t meet my own taste, in which case, I don’t mind you guys disregarding them^^)

1. I have no damn clue where to get bombs from. And throughout playing the game, it was not revealed at all. I don’t mind them to be RARE or difficult too get, but they seem non existent to me.

2. How about making “smuggling” a sidequest, such as ship hunting etc?
so that as soon as you have talked to a middleman in the tavern, your questbook would be updated, naming the exact location of the alleged deal.
This would help so much in keeping the oversight; because as soon as you have ONE team of smugglers waiting for you, any other deal becomes impossible, so you must never forget where your next deal was going to happen.

3. I personally would love it if the space that a person occupies with a blade drawn would be decreased. Now you occupy easily 4 times as much space with a weapon drawn, in comparison when sheathed. This makes boarding and tavern brawls somewhat uncomfortable, since you can not move an inchas soon as 2 other personse with their blades drawn as well are near you. Specifically when boarding, you are not able to reach the battlefront, because you men are blocking the way. Unless of course you sidestep through the walls.

4. Not sure if you can do something about this, but if you can, the better:
when switching exteriors/interiors, every person respawns. This is a good thing when in cities, but not so much when in caves/dungeons etc. As you do have an infinite amount of enemies when moving around. Plus, it is way to easy to “grind” yourself strong and rich by continuously moving in and out a cave to kill bandits, get infinite much loot and train melee and defense. (of course you can simply refuse to DO this. Still, the fact that it is possible kind of botheres me as a lore-friendly player..)

5. Not sure how difficult this is, but will it be any possible to keep your own characters face when changing ‘clothes’? One would have to replace the head of each available ‘Costume’ by copying the original character’s on it, which is a ton of work for each storyline, even when you know how to do it. Though I think it would be so much more fun to regularly change your appearance as a player.

6. “special” object are way too rare for my taste. I am not talking about particularly strong items, but throwingknifes, borgiablades, cobblestones, stinkpots etcetc. After putting over 100 gaming hours into Tales of a sea hawk, I have come across about 4 poisoned throwingknifes and 5 borgiablades(<- which by then were completely useless since all of my crew were wielding admirality swords and I had nicolas’ sharp saber). Stinkpots are even worse, which is such a pity..

To end this overly long post, I wanted to place some IDEAS, hoping that some of them would find your agreement. There are a few things that would be really nice to add to the game to make it more complex and awesome, and I don’t think any of them are PARTICULARLY difficult to make happen (correct me whenever I’m wrong).

1. How about using coloring in the console? It would help a lot to see warnings about bad morale, little food/rum and similar things displayed red. Additionally, you may make notifications about skill increases bright green, display profits after trades dark green; make expenditures after trades appear in (another tone of) red and so on. It would give the game a lot structure which many would probably appreciate J

2. One thing that is VERY important to me, and I would be overly happy to one day find this in the build mod: The ability to DRINK :D
Some graphical animation to show you that you have a belly full of rum (I really hope this is ANY possible with this engine) that isn’t too annoying for the user. Rather no make the screen blurry, which would only be annoying.
the best inebriative animation I have ever come across was in Fable (
) . Seriously, guys, every person drank rum every day of the year back in those days, please make this a part of the game :D
You would be able to purchase rum in the stores and from street merchants, or simply go to the tavern and let the innkeeper serve you while you get hammered.

3. So far the condition of a weapon does not really have an impact on its stats. At least for the upper half of all weapons. Since the condition only deducts/adds about 1dmg per stage of condition, you can completely disregard this as soon as you have anything stronger than a French court sword(as long as you don’t break it completely, that is). If the condition would not deduct/add a FIXED number from/to a weapons handlability and damage output, but a PERCENTAGE (=> “Saber”: 2Dmg difference per stage, “Saber of Nicolas sharp”: 20Dmg difference per stage) it would be much more rewarding for you to keep your masterpiece of a weapon in an excellent condition.

4. Bounty quests for Persons.
Thisone is self explaining. You can destroy ships for money, it would be cool if you could also flush scallywags out a cave for money (and a reputational reward of course). Not sure how authentic this would be, as this is about the golden age of piracy, and not the wild west, but it would add a lot of fun to the game if you ask me.

5. Automatic saves
In skyrim for example, the game saves whenever you change the exterior/interior. Of course it uses the same slot every time, overwriting the old savegame every time would that be possible in potc?

Ahoy!
Firstly, thanks for pointing out the lack of .doc file support for uploads. I've now added .doc and .docx to the list of allowed file types. :doff

Bugs belong on the Bug Tracker, which is a heavily curated forum. Be sure to check the How to Submit thread before posting there, and have a look at the other bug threads to see if your specific problems have bee reported/fixed before.
Gameplay queries and technical issues go in the Build Support and Troubleshooting forum.
Ideas and suggestions go in the Build Beta and Brainstorming forum.

I hope that answers your question.

Will read your full post later.

Based on my initial glance, I have to ask which game version this is based on.
It does not sound like the most recent one, because some points you mention have already been modified.

Armada, thanks for the quick reply, i will see to it that everything wil go where it belongs and that there is no bug-repost

Pieter, yeah I played B14 beta 3.1 (December 2013). I also mention that, probably not visibly enough for initial glances^^

BUGS:

1. Smuggling has been thoroughly reworked in Beta 3.4

2. Is his name "Hardouin Aufort"? If so, that is a quest character.

3. That's quite weird. Please check again with Beta 3.4, since only shop owners should be using the town gold.

4. Yup. Though it is now a LOT harder to get that ability.
So you won't be doing it in the early game just yet.

5. That happens when a quest is to be activated in that location.
If it still happens on Beta 3.4, please provide a savegame so I can check.
I know how to fix it, but I need to know which quest is causing it.

7. Gambling has been updated too. There is an extra ability allowing you to gamble more.

8. That's annoying to keep DirectSail in line with WorldMap travel.
Open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h, set OPEN_SEA_MOD to 1 and see if that works better for you.

ISSUES:

1. Two options:
- From random floating hulks that are occasionally generated when sailing in 3D sailing mode between islands.
- By entering the fort from the shore in some towns,
sometimes you can find a civilian there who can be convinced to give you some bombs.

Either way, they're intentionally very rare.
For full realism, they shouldn't be there at all, but we did keep them a little bit just for the fun of it.

2. Already done as per Beta 3.4.

3. I don't think anything can be done about that due to game engine limitations.

4. Changing that would be a lot of work. And how would it work then?
No enemies at all after you killed them? Would get boring quite quick....

5. In this game, the only way is to pre-make all possible character and clothes combinations.
Not going to happen, but there ARE a lot of varieties available for Nathaniel Hawk and Jack Sparrow.

6. Some citizens in towns serve as "Sneaky Traders" that sell you such things.

IDEAS:

1. I don't think that is possible in the game engine. Text = text.

2. New animations are theoretically possible, but nobody here knows how to do it.
Plus if we WOULD be able to find a proper character animator, we'd REALLY need his help on Hearts of Oak!

3. Looking at the code, the quality difference is a multiplier.

4. Theoretically possible. Would just take time and effort though, which are both rare commodities.
We're currently working on all sorts of things though,
me personally on distinguishing Privateers from Navy Officers.

5. Possible. Would require finding the spots where we would want that to happen.
Also would probably harm performance during reloads quite substantially.

Pieter, yeah I played B14 beta 3.1 (December 2013). I also mention that, probably not visibly enough for initial glances^^
OUMPF! That is a little bit OLD. Recommend you update as soon as possible.
We very much welcome feedback, but it helps if that feedback is up-to-date. ;)

Additional:

Bugs:
3: If anything, the reverse is now the problem. Street vendors who are completely broke are not uncommon - those who have nothing in stock for you to buy and no money so you can't sell them anything.
5: Do you have Artois Voysey among your officers? If so, make him one of your active companions and then go into Sao Jorge port. Something will happen...
6: Fixed, sort of. As of Beta 3.4 they regain their weapons but they still walk away from their posts. See the thread "Character LAi group not properly restored after using Special Weapons on them".
7: You raise your Luck by gambling. If it's up to level 6, you have probably been doing a lot of gambling and winning. That reputation as the best gambler in the Caribbean may be well deserved! On the other hand, you may meet someone else who also has high Luck. I once got into a game while I had Luck 6, thinking it would be a walkover. It was, but it was I who got walked over... Also, have you encountered the gambler who, being down on his luck, puts up something other than money as his gambling stake?

Problems:
6: Have you tried looting all the chests you find in dungeons, on ships etc? The word "rare" is not one which I would associate with those special weapons...

Ideas:
2: There may not be any special animation involved, but if you go into a tavern you can talk to the people sitting at tables. Some of them will invite you to join them for a mug of rum, and you're paying. In due time you will learn why it is not a good idea to drink too much...
4: Have you done the "Hard Labours of an Assassin" side quest? If you're playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk", especially for such a long time, it should have triggered during one visit to the tavern in Sao Jorge. Not surprisingly, the "Assassin" storyline also contains elements of this - try that when you've finished with "Tales of a Sea Hawk".

Moved some of the things which I still think are an issue to seperate topcis. So going to move this topic to archive now.

Back