• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1 Feedback

Take your time. Land at a city and walk around chatting with the locals. Look in all of the nooks and crannies. There are goodies scattered here and there in all of the towns, and also occasionally out in the jungle. You can walk in some of the houses and talk to people there too. It's a big world out there and you won't be finishing with exploring it in a week or a month. :cheers

thanks for the fast reply! I already have like 6 hours in my save file, so if i turn on arcade will i have to start over? I dont mind realistic mode, i think its great and gives you a better feeling, but im so used to the COAS map that i often go in the wrong direction xD

thanks for the fast reply! I already have like 6 hours in my save file, so if i turn on arcade will i have to start over? I dont mind realistic mode, i think its great and gives you a better feeling, but im so used to the COAS map that i often go in the wrong direction xD

Save first -- then change to arcade mode -- then load your save & you should be ok :yes

here's some observations i made while playing:

the point that ships aim for when shooting at xebecs is too high. this problem has been around for ages. right how any cannonfire passes through the bottom of the sails; the hull is only hit when the gunners aim off-target. it does give the ship an interesting tactical advantage though, so your opinion on wether this is a bad thing may vary.

if logically possible, the amount of gunpowder required for cannons should be reduced a bit. right now it's impossible to carry enough gunpowder for all your ammo on some ships, most notably the pirate designs and most of the smaller vessels. this problem was introduced when the powder weight was increased from 3 lbs to 20.

the player is recognised too easily when flying a false flag. even when only just starting the game, it's often impossible to sail out of the range of a fort before being recognised.

the point that ships aim for when shooting at xebecs is too high. this problem has been around for ages. right how any cannonfire passes through the bottom of the sails; the hull is only hit when the gunners aim off-target. it does give the ship an interesting tactical advantage though, so your opinion on wether this is a bad thing may vary.
This problem may be related to or fixed through this code in PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AICannon.c:
Code:
	// LDH --> adjust cannons firing too low 15Sep06
string RigType = ""; if (CheckAttribute(rEnemyShip, "RigType")) RigType = rEnemyShip.RigType;
if (CheckAttribute(aEnemy,"ship.boxsize"))
{
float BoxY = stf(aEnemy.ship.boxsize.y);
switch(sBallName)
{
case "Knippels":
if (HasSubStr("Xeb,", RigType+","))		// we can add additional ships, example: "Xeb,Lug,Tar," Note final comma is necessary
{
Y  = BoxY * 35.0 / 100.0;	// aim lower on these ships as they don't carry much sail on top
DY = BoxY * 10.0 / 100.0;
}
else
{
Y  = BoxY * 50.0 / 100.0;	// aim halfway up the mast
DY = BoxY * 20.0 / 100.0;	// Variation of 20% total box size  ( Y plus or minus DY)
}
break;

case "Bombs":
Y  = BoxY * 6.0 / 100.0;	// aim 6% up the box
DY = BoxY * 2.0 / 100.0;	// Variation of 2%
break;

case "Grapes":
Y  = BoxY * 5.0 / 100.0;	// aim 5% up the box
DY = BoxY * 1.0 / 100.0;	// Variation of 1%
break;

case "Balls":
if (dist > 350.0 && stf(aEnemy.ship.SP) > 15.0)		// if firing ball at long range, aim for sails - LDH unless you've shot them up 06Feb09
{
Y  = BoxY * 20.0 / 100.0; 	// aim 20% up the box
DY = BoxY * 10.0 / 100.0;	// Variation of 10%
}
else
{
Y  = BoxY * 4.0 / 100.0; 	// aim 4% up the box
}
break;

// default case, just in case
Y  = BoxY * 4.0 / 100.0; 	// aim 4% up the box
}
//		traceandlog(aCharacter.id + " firing " + sBallName + " at " + aEnemy.id + " Y: " + Y + " DY: " + DY);
//		traceandlog("Ship type " + aEnemy.ship.type + " has boxsize Y " + aEnemy.ship.boxsize.y + " (" + aEnemy.ship.boxsize.z + ")");
}
else
{
// if we remove Height.Y and Height.DY from the ship_init file, use these as a default
//		if (sBallName == "Knippels")
//		{
//			Y = 15;
//			DY = 5;
//		}
//		else
//		{
//			Y = 1;
//			DY = 1;
//		}
traceandlog("AICannon: " + aEnemy.id + " with ship type " + aEnemy.ship.type + " has no boxsize!");
}

if logically possible, the amount of gunpowder required for cannons should be reduced a bit. right now it's impossible to carry enough gunpowder for all your ammo on some ships, most notably the pirate designs and most of the smaller vessels. this problem was introduced when the powder weight was increased from 3 lbs to 20.
Amount of gunpowder for the various cannon types is defined in PROGRAM\Cannons\Cannons_init.c .
Not sure what'd be the best thing to do, though. Decrease the weight? Decrease the amount needed? Increase ships' cargo space?
One thing I did notice is that if you use Auto Buy all the time, like I do, you commonly run out of powder in the middle of a battle. :facepalm

the player is recognised too easily when flying a false flag. even when only just starting the game, it's often impossible to sail out of the range of a fort before being recognised.
The code for the false flag detection is in PROGRAM\NATIONS\nations.c:
Code:
float GetChanceDetectFalseFlag()
{
// original code -->
//	float rank = GetRankFromPoints(GetScore(GetMainCharacter()));
//	return CHANCE_DETECT_FALSE_FLAG_BASE+(CHANCE_DETECT_FALSE_FLAG_MAX-CHANCE_DETECT_FALSE_FLAG_BASE)*rank/MAX_RANK;
// original code <--

// LDH -->
ref mchr = GetMainCharacter(); // KK
float score  = GetScore(mchr); // KK
float rank   = GetRankFromPoints(score);
int   sneak  = GetSummonSkillFromName(mchr, SKILL_SNEAK);
int difficulty = GetDifficulty();
float chance = rank/MAX_RANK * (11.0-sneak)/10.0;
chance = chance * difficulty/2.0;		// 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0
//	chance = chance * (difficulty+1)/3.0;		// alternate difficulty calculation 0.67, 1,0, 1.33, 1.67
chance = retmin(chance,1.0);	// so chance doesn't go over 100%
//	LogIt("False Flag Detection - Score: " + score + ", rank: " + rank + ", Sneak: " + sneak + ", Chance: " + chance*100.0 + "%"); // for testing
//	LogIt("The chance of your false flag being detected is " + chance*100.0 + "%");	// Tell the player, it might get him used to looking for it.
return chance;
// LDH <--
}
Which storyline are you playing on? Most ones by default having a higher difficulty now, which would increase the recognizing chance.
However, unless I'm very much mistaken, you play the Standard storyline, which does play at the lowest difficulty by default.

i remember it being there from when you explained that piece of code, back in the steam engine topic. i'm just pointing these things out in general. still, i could give it a go.

as for the powder, i consider the increased weight more realistic. but if the wieght's a problem with autobuy, it might be a good idea to decrease it again. i'm unsure if NPC ships in general use autobuy to determine their stock, but i have noticed that quest ships are always understocked on gunpowder. general NPC ships are not, however.

yup, lowest difficulty.

oh, and i met a captain called Harde Homo. might want to look at that. xD:

I believe your observation about the xebec applies to all of the ships that sit low in the water, like brigs. They are hard to hit. Most of my shot goes into the air or the water. That sword cuts both ways though. When firing from them it is sometimes hard to fire over the waves, so one ends up just killing fish.

When running a false flag I always get recognized during daylight but usually get lucky at night. Unless there are ships close by...

i've only seen it with xebecs myself. having recently sailed in a brig, i noticed that the enemy shot just about at the right height. however, they might have had low accuracy.

night? didn't realise it mattered!

in the meantime, i've come across some great-nation specific soundtracks. there's all 30 to 60 seconds long though. i've got stuff for every nation, and a much longer one for the pirates. in fact, i've got a soundtrack for american colonies if you're interested.

I'm usually shooting at xebecs and brigs, not from them and have a hard time hitting anything but sails. They seem to have greater range and accuracy than I do too.

Nation specific soundtracks? They might be cool for promotions. I'm a snake-in-the-grass merchant with no allegiances who prefers period music.

they're not really suitable for promotions, i think. i was actually thinking of replacing some of the excisting ones. i've also got some nice substitutes for the jungle music. for spain i got some acoustic guitar, france has a theme with accordion, and the jungle ones are mainly steel drums and such. all of them are quite calm, except the possible american candidates. got a replacment for the store as well, which is quite similar to the spanish one. want me to send them by email? the whole batch is quite small. i don't have one for portugal yet, but i know which file to replace.

i also recently replaced one of my swordfighting tracks with this, but it needs to have the end lopped off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5hdOA-K0Sc

although, given the stuff that i get up to, it might not even be that inapropriate...

i remember pieter saying that there was an undertermined cause of the player's skills sometimes being added or substracted to when innapropriate, ever since the adding of items that did this intentionally. i found the cause: the skill penalties and bonuses still aply when you stuff such items in your ship's chest. should this be prevented, or is it fine as-is?

If I recall, the ship's chest thing is intentional as per Pirate_KK's work so you don't have to carry items for them to take effect.
Saves you from having a too clogged up inventory.

hm. my idea was sticking the books in my chest for the sake of collection while avoiding penalties i don't want.

What if you put them in your weaponslocker instead? Or give them to an officer you don't care about and leave on the ship? Or something?

i could try the weaponslocker. i gave them to an officer in the meantime. i wonder if my crew will equip them. won't matter if they do, i always loot corpses. even though my crew has gained a terrific knack for swordfighting by now, i'll have to say.

shame. i have fond memories of hitting things with things that should not be... hut... with. like buildings.

they're not really suitable for promotions, i think. i was actually thinking of replacing some of the excisting ones. i've also got some nice substitutes for the jungle music. for spain i got some acoustic guitar, france has a theme with accordion, and the jungle ones are mainly steel drums and such. all of them are quite calm, except the possible american candidates. got a replacment for the store as well, which is quite similar to the spanish one. want me to send them by email? the whole batch is quite small. i don't have one for portugal yet, but i know which file to replace.

although, given the stuff that i get up to, it might not even be that inapropriate...

Sure. Send them any way you want. I have no idea where to put them tho. I'm still using the original sounds.

allright. it's merely a matter of copying and overwriting the files, really, since i didn't change an awful lot about the game's basic workings. this will NOT work with build 13, however. also, i've expanded on my music pack quite a bit in the meantime, so i'll try to stick it on the FTP if i can. i might still change the tavern themes, if i can find them. i'll include some additional instructions.

Back