• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1

Reporting some conitinuing issues. I was dealing with a group of ships two surrendered, and after the second one, the engagment was over as I could not board the second surrenderd ship or engage any others. I think this is an old probelm, yes?
Seems to happen when the group leader surrenders. It's an old problem indeed. I know Screwface once tried and failed to fix it and I think nobody has touched it since. :(

Also when dying in the jungle on Le Grenade and Krajendlik you don't go to the taverns.
Do you know what happens instead? Does your dead busy just lie on the floor? Didn't it use to work? :facepalm

And a questrion. did the hidden treasure icons get fixed so you can find the treasure?
I'm afraid not, unless something fixed it by accident. Nobody has touched that code either. :?

I found a little bit of weirdness with the bladedamage code, which I have now fixed. Then I tested it and it seems to work again. :doff

I found a little bit of weirdness with the bladedamage code, which I have now fixed. Then I tested it and it seems to work again. :doff
Aye post patch 6 iirc there were a few issues with it for sure, we still need lots and lots of playtesting(in both auto-skill system and 'default') to iron out the rough edges. And happy xmas guys and gals, i'm away for a few weeks so see you back here in the new year.

hey guys, sorry for my long absence, is there anything I can do to help out? Any bugs you want me to try and help with or anything?

Later this month. The only thing I REALLY still need is the updated Interface Screenshots. Anything else we manage to do is a bonus.

Hey guys quick question about the build mod, hope this is the right forum to ask it in. Whenever I play I always set the game to where I gain abilities (i.e. Sailing, Accuracy, Melee...etc) based on my actions rather than the old vanilla game way of earning the points and then leveling up things like melee myself, and I play with difficulty settings at maximum. While playing the other day I thought it would be cool if you could practice your melee skills with your officers aboard ship, similarly to how you practice with that guy at the start of the game, where you can practice fighting with him and not kill him. This would be a cool feature because you could improve both you and your officers skills at melee. My question is: Has something like this already been tried, or can you actually already do this in game? If not, would it be possible to do? Just a thought, I'm not begging you to put it in like some I have seen in these types of forums. ;) I actually think I got the idea from an Aubrey/Maturin book I'm reading!

I thought maybe you could too, so last night I went on board and tried to get my officers and crew to fight. They didn't. :ixi

On that note this might be a good time to talk about balancing out the auto skill increases. It seems they have been tweaked. The last time this was discussed I mentioned that sailing skill was very hard to increase. Now it increases very rapidly, and maybe even a little too fast. It's now 9.38%.

On the other hand the melee skills almost do not increase at all. In this game at the end of the tutorial my melee was 3.02% or so. It is now 5.18%. I met 2 teachers who bumped my melee up 1 point each. That means that if I had not met them my melee skill would be 3.18%. :shock

Now my melee skills are always low, but it should be better. Especially since I recently acquired Francis Drake's sword. That put me over the hump and I can now survive melee combat. My skill should be climbing now but it is not. This needs to be tweaked again. :hmm

Hey guys quick question about the build mod, hope this is the right forum to ask it in. Whenever I play I always set the game to where I gain abilities (i.e. Sailing, Accuracy, Melee...etc) based on my actions rather than the old vanilla game way of earning the points and then leveling up things like melee myself, and I play with difficulty settings at maximum. While playing the other day I thought it would be cool if you could practice your melee skills with your officers aboard ship, similarly to how you practice with that guy at the start of the game, where you can practice fighting with him and not kill him. This would be a cool feature because you could improve both you and your officers skills at melee. My question is: Has something like this already been tried, or can you actually already do this in game? If not, would it be possible to do? Just a thought, I'm not begging you to put it in like some I have seen in these types of forums. ;) I actually think I got the idea from an Aubrey/Maturin book I'm reading!
The code for that is already in place, but it doesn't work quite right. That's why I disabled the code for that altogether, but it's still there in PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Crewmember_fight_dialog.c:
Code:
			//MAXIMUS -[Something wrong. Game will lag after 2-3 trainings]->
/*	if(HasSubStr(PChar.location,"ShipDeck") && !CheckAttribute(PChar,"TrainingFight"))
{
Link.l5 = DLG_TEXT[28];
Link.l5.go = "MakeChoice";
}*/
//MAXIMUS <-[Something wrong. Game will lag after 2-3 trainings]-
You can re-enable it by removing the /* and */ around that section of code, then talk with any crewmember on your ship's deck.

On that note this might be a good time to talk about balancing out the auto skill increases. It seems they have been tweaked. The last time this was discussed I mentioned that sailing skill was very hard to increase. Now it increases very rapidly, and maybe even a little too fast. It's now 9.38%.
Black Bart found that sailing gave too much XP with Auto Skill System off, so he decreased it. Then people worried that with Auto Skill System ON, you wouldn't get enough experience again.
So I made the game use Black Bart's values with Auto Skill System OFF and the original values with Auto Skill System ON.
If you want to re-adjust things for this, find this code in PROGRAM\MAXIMUS_functions.c:
Code:
	// Adjust for uneven gain in skills
int expMult = 1;
if (_exp < 1000)
{
switch (expName)
{
//		case "Leadership":	expMult =  3; break;	// LDH 30Apr09
case "Fencing":		expMult =  3; break;
case "Sailing":		expMult =  1; break;	// included for completeness
case "Accuracy":	expMult =  1; break;	// included for completeness
case "Cannons":		expMult =  1; break;	// included for completeness
case "Repair":
expMult = 50;							// repair is a lot of small skill gains, minimum of 20 sent by repair functions
if (sti(_refCharacter.rank) < 3)		// keeps player from getting repair skill 5 or 6 in the tutorial - 25Feb09
{
expMult = 20;
}
break;
case "Defence":		expMult =  6; break;
case "Sneak":		expMult =  3; break;
}
}
// Things we don't handle in the exp<1000 test above
if (expName == "Leadership") expMult = 3;	// LDH moved outside of test - 30Apr09
if (expName == "Grappling")  expMult = 4;	// grappling is always high experience but doesn't happen often. - 30Apr09
if (expName == "Commerce") skillExp /= 2;	// commerce is usually high, we're cutting it in half here so above test is wrong for this

I'm not enthused about the idea of tweaking "fencing" since I never have, and others who know far more than I have been tweaking things for months.

The point I'm trying to make is that melee skills have stopped improving at all both for my officers and myself. I've gotten into maybe a dozen fights since my last post and my skills have not increased at all. Neither have those of my officers.

I have some officers who have been with me since before I made level 10 (I'm at level 35 now) and they are stuck at level 2 melee. :shrug I no longer have a patch 6 game or installer, so I can't compare what has been changed.

I've had some computer issues the last few weeks so I haven't been able to mod anything in the game, and I wanted to see if the melee combat changes really are all right before Beta 2 is released, but it seems they are. I have some more things I want to try about them, though. I'll post more once I get everything sorted out.

Build 14 Beta 2 Available!
New thread made and pinned instead of this one: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php?showtopic=18350
Enjoy! :doff

Back