• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

BUILD 14 BETA 3.1 Polish translation

Forgive me my insisting, but what with that facebook? I prefer not to do it myself though.

What exactly was I supposed to be writing again? Note that it must be short, otherwise people don't notice it.
Also, any picture to go with it? Just two lines of text and a link go easily ignored. :facepalm

Please just write that I'm doing translation and if I get two more helpers, I think I'll manage 'til August and stay tuned, this is most important. Getting a proper picture would still be a problem without fonts, post anything.
I think I'll post a large status update around July but now I'm in powder, so you'll have to wait a bit.
And one more thing: I want to thank very much anyone involved in helping me so far, I'm quite surprised cause most of you don't have any profit from it, you're not even Polish. I just wonder why do you do this, I hardly experienced any of such actions in my life. Thank you all. :aar

Guess what I found when typing in "pirate Polish" in Google? Pirate NAIL POLISH! That'll have to do. I hope you've got a sense of humour. :razz
So, how's this? https://www.facebook.com/PiratesAhoyCommunity

And one more thing: I want to thank very much anyone involved in helping me so far, I'm quite surprised cause most of you don't have any profit from it, you're not even Polish. I just wonder why do you do this, I hardly experienced any of such actions in my life. Thank you all. :aar
We may be pirates, but we're not here for profit.

As Long John Silver might say: "We'd never stab you in the back. We'd never lie or cheat. We're just about the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet!"
Of course he was being quite dishonest at the time. :wp

Sorry for my absence. Life continues to get in the way of doing things.

Send a PM to Baste. He's the main expert on doing such things. Alternatively, try konradk, but he hasn't been actively around for quite a while.
Such kind words, but I wouldn't call myself an expert on this. I only understand part of it. KK would know more about it. :yes

I had a look at changing the characters in the code, and it seems it might be possible, but that means ALL Polish text in the code needs to be changed. Perhaps all code related to text for all languages, not just Polish. One could take out all other languages and only leave Polish, but it would require reworking the language code anyway. Might be better to leave it as it is, even if it's unfortunate that special characters need to be used. Unless KK would know of a way to rework it, of course, but based on my look at it I don't think there is a good way to do it.

I like to help others, and it seems most people here do as well. :) This is a friendly community, and I'm glad to see that many persons here all seem to think that if everyone cooperates it would benefit everyone.

Guess what I found when typing in "pirate Polish" in Google? Pirate NAIL POLISH! That'll have to do. I hope you've got a sense of humour. :razz
So, how's this? https://www.facebook.com/PiratesAhoyCommunity
xD:shock:8qxD I do. I just Wonder who invented such a verb like "polish", phew.
Just out of curiosity, do you know at least any word in my language? I know two sentences in Dutch, that's a success.:D

We may be pirates, but we're not here for profit.

As Long John Silver might say: "We'd never stab you in the back. We'd never lie or cheat. We're just about the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet!"
Of course he was being quite dishonest at the time. :wp
Well, no doubt, I'm also trying to be helpful in the ways I can. You guys are great.:onya
Sorry for my absence. Life continues to get in the way of doing things.
:ahoyBaste! No problem, I also barely have time to translate anything nowadays, but I'm trying. I'm glad to hear from you at least.
I had a look at changing the characters in the code, and it seems it might be possible, but that means ALL Polish text in the code needs to be changed. Perhaps all code related to text for all languages, not just Polish. One could take out all other languages and only leave Polish, but it would require reworking the language code anyway. Might be better to leave it as it is, even if it's unfortunate that special characters need to be used. Unless KK would know of a way to rework it, of course, but based on my look at it I don't think there is a good way to do it.
You know, in Poland we don't have special keyboards like in Scandinavia, Russia or western countries. We just use qwerties and when we want to type a "native" letter, we press right alt + the basic letter (for example right alt + s to get ś), for big letters shift is also needed (3 buttons at the same time to write 1 letter). Then you could imagine how difficult is to avoid mistakes in such huge texts as game files (dialogues mostly). And now to have Polish letters (which are about 20% of the text), I have to paste some strange characters that are not even on my keyboard. Obviously, I'm not doing it for now, I'm just going straight and really hope to find a better way. Writing some "bushes" about 10 times a minute would be a nightmare, not to mention my helper. BTW, I also thank him for help.
I hope we can solve the fonts matter properly, otherwise I'll have to do the "change text" command 9 Times in each of over thousand files:facepalm. And Konrad hasn't been around much lately, I'm afraid.

P.S. I have kind of agreement with a Polish youtuber who was doing let's play from New Horizons mod. He agreed to stop for now and record a series from the Polish release. For now, he'll be recording other games. I know I don't decide about it but the PA official channel could subscribe him cause he hasn't much viewers unfornately. His channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Kacperkac90

Last edited by a moderator:
The PROGRAM\DIALOGS folder is used a lot for all regular files.
The Storyline folder is only used for quest-specific characters and/or for default dialogs that need to be overridden for quest purposes.
But not all files from this folder are needed, eh? Some are even from the stock game.
And well, how to beat the "buildings" dialogues in there? They are set up in a different way, I begin getting confused again.

The building ones have their code in the \English subfolder.

There should be no unused files in the game. Just some haven't been modified much since the original game.

Well, it's going faster now, but with a single helper I fear August would be overoptimistic taking into account 450 files left.:facepalmNot to mention at least a month for cleaning up all the mess I've done, sometimes I feel like painting a crumbling wall. In general, four people declared help in direct translating but only one does his job,:bow:bow:bowfor him (http://grajpopolsku.pl/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4809), well I didn't forget about you, PA guys of course. Well, I'm not very good at PR. What will I say to all the waiting guys (yes, there are some, one even sent me a pm on my youtube channel, quite a shock for me) "poczekajcie jeszcze z pół roku"? There was an AOP2 PL translation going on for over 2 years, then the author released a demo version and vanished, stopped updating his site, doesn't reply for any messages. So people became most untrustful and my translation is on the same forum, well, I'm afraid, don't wanna be like him. Nevermind, I'm a type of a guy who when decides on something important, will never pass.

I'd be quite happy to see a translation actually being finished.
There have been a LOT that were started on over the years, but not a single one ever finished. :shock

Hopefully we can somehow support you, although I don't know how. I don't think that Facebook post worked. :(

I just realized I have to translate all these islands and dungeons maps too.
And can someone tell me where is the rest of interface and log messages (these atop the screen) besides RESOURCE/INI/TEXTS/ENGLISH?
Well, the fonts are pending for now

A whole bunch of them were not added with translation options and are scattered throughout the PROGRAM folder. :(

Add the PROGRAM folder to your Windows Search Index, then type in the text you're looking for.
Then open the files found, search again and you should be able to track it down.

Back