• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3.5 Internal WIP For Testing

Playing "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower" with the latest installer and the 26th February .zip update, I have had no trouble with shipyards. The repair / buy screen is certainly appearing for me; I haven't actually done any repairing or buying but I have been doing some selling of captured ships.

@tercioviejo : which storyline are you playing? Do all shipyards give you the same trouble, or if you have only tried one, which one was it?

Playing "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower" with the latest installer and the 26th February .zip update, I have had no trouble with shipyards. The repair / buy screen is certainly appearing for me; I haven't actually done any repairing or buying but I have been doing some selling of captured ships.
If I did my job correctly, you shouldn't be able to buy any ships as Hornblower. ;)

I never buy ships anyway. It's cheaper to get them second hand, so to speak. :aar Hornblower can sell captured ships, though. (But not his own - that fix is also working. :thumbs1)

Hornblower can sell captured ships, though. (But not his own - that fix is also working. :thumbs1)
Good, good. :woot

I never buy ships anyway. It's cheaper to get them second hand, so to speak. :aar
Fair enough. You should *try* to buy though next time you're at the shipyard.
If I did well, it simply won't let you. And if it does let you, you can always cancel before confirming.

ok not I only zip the litle one b14_b3-5_wip26Feb2015 whit 542 KB; I discoverd thats morning, the internal.exe have 3 mb more tham the last one, and I will desinstall the stock game and made a clean one. thx for the help
The EXE from the opening post is not the same as the Beta 3.4 release version, so if indeed you hadn't installed that yet, weird stuff would happen.
Complete reinstall shouldn't be necessary though; just follow the steps explained in the opening post and it should work.

A couple more issues.

In BFF, opening relations seem wrong or at least different form the last version. I the previous only Britain was hostile. In the new version Britain, France and Spain are all hostile.

The blade care kit does not add a point to melee.

And it appears that the opening of BFF is really messed up, not just the dialogue. When you leave the cabin you can't get to shore.

Last edited:
In BFF, opening relations seem wrong or at least different form the last version. I the previous only Britain was hostile. In the new version Britain, France and Spain are all hostile.
I think I may have changed something there. Since you start out as a British officer who mutinies, I set the starting relations to be the same as Britain since that is how it must have been prior to the mutiny.
However, after the mutiny Britain turns hostile. So that may be intentional.

That may be intentional as well, since having that item already makes your blades last longer so perhaps I removed the skill bonus it used to give.
I'd have to check the code to be sure. Does the item description still claim it gives a bonus? If so, that will need to be changed.

I think I may have changed something there. Since you start out as a British officer who mutinies, I set the starting relations to be the same as Britain since that is how it must have been prior to the mutiny.
Ok, but when you go to your personal flag shouldn't France and Spain go to wary or neutral (once it is known that you are not sailing for Britain?)

That may be intentional as well, since having that item already makes your blades last longer so perhaps I removed the skill bonus it used to give.
I'd have to check the code to be sure. Does the item description still claim it gives a bonus? If so, that will need to be changed.

The item description says it gives a bonus +1.

Ok, but when you go to your personal flag shouldn't France and Spain go to wary or neutral (once it is known that you are not sailing for Britain?)
Theoretically, I suppose yes. But how would "once it is known" work?
There are two things I can do:
- Keep it as-is, e.g. you start with England's relations but England is hostile due to the mutiny
- Restore to Beta 3.4 state, e.g. everyone likes you except England (ugh, boooring! :razz)

Of course when you now choose to join the pirates for real, all nations will turn hostile because you turned pirate.
This is different from Beta 3.4 in BBF where you were very friendly with the pirates at the start of the storyline and did not need to formally join you them.

The item description says it gives a bonus +1.
I probably forgot; will change that when I get home tonight.

In BFF, opening relations seem wrong or at least different form the last version. I the previous only Britain was hostile. In the new version Britain, France and Spain are all hostile
I think I might be indirectly responsible for that. :D There was a discussion about merging all the free-play starts into one highly customisable start, and I suggested preserving a BBF style start by allowing you to pick a starting nation and a pirate character type, so that you start as a former citizen of that nation but for some reason they now hate you. Here is where I suggested it...
... and whether Pieter read that or had a similar idea himself, he seems to have implemented it.
How do they know you're no longer sailing for Britain? Last they knew, you were a British citizen which meant they didn't like you. Now you're a mutineer, they have a good reason to mistrust you even further because what that means is you're a dishonourable (former) British citizen. For all they know, your quarrel is really with your late commanding officer rather than with Britain in general, and although Britain doesn't see it that way, you may still have some patriotism left. (The fictitious Captain Blood was sentenced to slavery by Britain for aiding a Monmouth rebel, escaped to become a pirate, and attacked Spain which was Britain's enemy, then ended up being pardoned. France and Spain probably expect you to do likewise.)

You can go to the French and/or Spanish and explain your intentions in person, showing your good will by means of a financial gift to the governor. For practical purposes, this is handled in game when you go to the governor and plead for forgiveness.

Meanwhile Holland and Portugal have presumably never heard of you and don't care what you do as long as you don't do it to them.

I just checked initItems.c and it DOES still have the skill boost.
You are also right, because whatever I do in the game, I can't seem to make it contribute. So apparently there is an error there. :modding

... and whether Pieter read that or had a similar idea himself, he seems to have implemented it.
I read it. I read everything! And I even try to do something with what I read. ;)
At the moment I'm definitely trying to bring the game closer to what you have suggested here and there.
It's a slow process, but slow progress is still progress.

I read it. I read everything! And I even try to do something with what I read. ;)
That was my way of accepting my share of the blame while not depriving you of credit if you'd had the same idea by yourself. ;)
And this is as good a place as any to say that I really appreciate your efforts to implement not only my but everyone else's dreams for the future of this game. :bow

Just started testing BFF, right off the bat you get the Malcolm Hatcher dialogue in the cabin.
HAHAAA! I figured out how to make the game load the correct dialog file like I wanted.
So no more copying required for that. :cheeky

And it appears that the opening of BFF is really messed up, not just the dialogue. When you leave the cabin you can't get to shore.
I cannot confirm that; working fine here....
What choices did you make in the dialog? Did you skip the tutorial, for example?

That was my way of accepting my share of the blame while not depriving you of credit if you'd had the same idea by yourself. ;)
Credit where credit is due. And that one lies with you. So do many of my other recent changes.
With hopefully more to come. You've been having some good suggestions, you have!
I just wished I knew how to make them all come true already. :wp

And this is as good a place as any to say that I really appreciate your efforts to implement not only my but everyone else's dreams for the future of this game. :bow
Thank for kindly indeed. It is always good to know that my efforts are not for naught.

Here it is:
Thanks for that! Confirmed and fixed.
That was a real uncommon issue that probably happened only in LaCroix because that one sometimes uses a custom file for self dialog.
So now I put in an automatic restore back to default after such a situation, which should fix it also in any other similar cases.

Since it is such a rare, but potentially really annoying issue, I'd like to give you a second thanks for catching it.
That one might have slipped under the radar really easily! :onya

HAHAAA! I figured out how to make the game load the correct dialog file like I wanted.
So no more copying required for that. :cheeky

I cannot confirm that; working fine here....
What choices did you make in the dialog? Did you skip the tutorial, for example?
Yes, I skipped the tutorial. After playing the game for years I never choose the tutorial.

Back