• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Build 14 Beta 4.0: Game crashes on worldmap almost instantly after loading

vojtaniz

Powder Monkey
I have finished a large sea battle, then I went to map and saved the game. The game crashed about three seconds after saving and keeps crashing instantly after loading that save.
Version: Build 14 beta 4, WIP 2 April 2016.
System specs:
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4x2,4 GHz
GPU: NVidia GeForce GT640
RAM: 4x1 GB DDR2 (don't remember the frequency)

Attachments

• system.log
    534 bytes · Views: 132
  • compile.log
    1.7 KB · Views: 102
  • -=Player=- Open Sea February 20th, 1755.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
I assume these are the logs you get when:
1. Starting the game
2. Loading the save

Right?

According to compile.log, the last thing that happened was that the main menu music was set.
No other clues in there. Looks very strange. :(

The most recent WIP modpack updates might be a bit better of stability:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP | PiratesAhoy!
You could try that, though it does enforce a New Game to be started.

Do you still have any older saves that do behave themselves?

These logs are those I got after the game crashed. Now I have tried to go to sailing without map (which was the only that was working but I donť get anywhere that way), then saving the game and loading again. Now it seems to work.

Are you sure your computer is using the nvidia card?
Must be. If it were the Intel bug, the game would instantly crash every time it has to draw the sea.
He managed to get into a sea battle, so that can't be it.

Must be. If it were the Intel bug, the game would instantly crash every time it has to draw the sea.
He managed to get into a sea battle, so that can't be it.
right, misread the post.....
The game did work before right?

The game worked right most of the time, it only used to crash when boarding.
If it is a crash during boarding, it might be the famous "looting/opening box interfaces" can cause the game to crash.
As far as I can tell, we finally managed to fix that with the Beta 4.1 WIP.

Yes, I've been doing a lot of boarding under Beta 4.1 and when I do, I loot everything in sight. No crashes apart from the occasional random one which can happen anywhere, not just in boarding.

I don't have my game here. Maybe @Tingyun or @imado552 or someone else could confirm the problem lies in the savegame? Please try to load it and replicate the problem mentioned in the first post

Yes, I've been doing a lot of boarding under Beta 4.1 and when I do, I loot everything in sight. No crashes apart from the occasional random one which can happen anywhere, not just in boarding.
Thanks for confirming that! Sounds like @Mere_Mortal's support did manage to greatly improve game stability quite a bit.
Another reason why Beta 4.1 is actually pretty good then. :cheeky

Thanks for confirming that! Sounds like @Mere_Mortal's support did manage to greatly improve game stability quite a bit.
Another reason why Beta 4.1 is actually pretty good then. :cheeky
Just curious what did he change to make it work eventually?

This bug is confirmed on Build 14 Beta 4.
By enforcing savegame compatibility, it can be replicated on the Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP too.

No error.log is generated, so we have absolutely no clue why this happens.
The symptoms suggest that there may be an "infinite loop" being triggered at midnight, perhaps related to PROGRAM\WorldMap\DailyCrewUpdate.c .

This is the last thing from my compile.log upon testing:
Repair & Defence skill added in RepairAllCannons: 330

I have no clue if this is a common problem, but ideally it should be investigated so at least we know what is responsible.
It is a consistent bug, so it should be possible to do that.

@vojtaniz: This might be quite time-consuming to figure out.
So in the meantime, I recommend you continue from a different save (if you have one that does behave itself).
And if you can, start a new game on the Beta 4.1 WIP. Maybe the root cause has already been fixed by now?

I have already updated to Beta 4.1 and started new game there. My yesterday's post was, as I realized after, actually about the same problem in 4.1.

Is it really the same though?
I managed to replicate this one, but not the other one....

Will try to replicate this too and see if i can get more info from it soon.

Will try to replicate this too and see if i can get more info from it soon.
Best way of replicating:
1. Load Build 14 Beta 4.0 (public release)
2. Load savegame from opening post
3. Wait a bit while on the worldmap
4. Crash!

Alternate method:
1. Load the Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP
2. Change the savegame compatibility to match with the public release instead
3. Continue from #2 above

okay I should look into this one soon(ish) ...
@vojtaniz you said the bug is also in 4.1 right?

Back