1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 4.0 Public Release

Discussion in 'POTC: New Horizons Mod' started by Pieter Boelen, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Skyworm

Skyworm Privateer Storm Modder

Arr ... found the error myself. It seems I had a not fully downloaded part 2, for whatever reasons. Now I have the full part 2, it's working.

What I have seen yet is great, really great. Though I don't understand the improved storyline system.
    There are storylines, like "Tales of a sea hawk" or "Woodes rogers". Ok.
    But inside the Free Play line, I seem to get sort of a storyline dependant on the character I choose. But this only puts me into a certain situation and time, and does not more story than an opening, am I correct?

Another question:
    What I miss is a completely customizable character. Actually, by selecting a different character, I also select a time, ship and situation. Is there any workaround I miss, or is it necessary to change the character "look" and name after starting the game?

Thanks

2. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Odd. If part 2 is incomplete, it should have given you a different error.

The Free Play storyline can give you different starting scenarios, but has no main quest.
    It does have all the sidequests though.

What you get when selecting a character are purely "default suggestions". You can override them with whatever else you prefer.
    Just select the character model first and then click the background profession, ship, etc. and you can change it to what you want.

You can also use the "Fame Level" when you choose a character for Free Play to choose from virtually ALL character models in the game.
    There are "Pre-defined", which are characters that also have a ship, date and background profession linked to them.
    But there is also "Named" or "Unnamed". Especially with that last option, you're quite spoilt for choice. :cheeky

Main reason for having it on "pre-defined" by default is to not overwhelm players with too much options. :wp

3. MrMundy

MrMundy Powder Monkey

Had a similar problem. I extracted the files in the .rar folder into the same folder as the installer, I just needed to put the .rar into the folder itself though.
    Maybe that fixes it?

Edit: Ups, sorry. I didnt see that there were more replies. My appologies

4. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

YIKES, don't ever touch the .tar file! It is very, very important to let the EXE take care of that, because it does more than just extracting that file.

In fact, as per Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP | PiratesAhoy!, doing that manually should effectively break your game.
    This is on purpose.

5. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

Presumably the installer doesn't object if you've extracted the files manually but left the .tar in place?

Extracting the files manually doesn't help the installation, of course. But you can look at the files yourself if you're curious.

Then again, once the installer has copied the files into place, you can examine them to your heart's content there. Or you can use 7-Zip to examine the contents of the .tar file and even the contents of individual files inside it. So extracting the files manually isn't even necessary for this purpose. :no

6. Pieter Boelen

No, it doesn't. As long as it gets to do it again by itself. ;)

7. Skyworm

Cheers Pieter! :drunk

That's what I'm searching for. Thanks!

Arr ... I didn't find that button. Great idea.

Well, actually I am overwhelmed by the number of options despite not even having found all of them
    In fact, I'm planning this whole evening not to actually play the game, but just to decide what I whant to play. :rumgone

This is really great stuff! Thanks Pieter and all others! :aar

8. Pieter Boelen

:rofl

If you didn't see it yet, this page might be of some use to you: New Horizons Free Play | PiratesAhoy!

Plus this is some fun new stuff too: New Horizons Playing Styles | PiratesAhoy!

Most important though is that there are no real "wrong choices". There are more interesting and more boring starts.
    And easier and harder ones. But, apart from choosing Naval Officer, not a single starting scenario controls how you proceed during the game itself.
    Plus... Once you've played for a while, nobody is stopping you from starting again with some different choices later. ;)

9. Levis

Levis Find(Rum) = false; Staff Member Programmer Creative Support Storm Modder

ICT
    Davy Jones might be a scenario you don't wanna try on your first attempt :wp.

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  10. Pieter Boelen

Cutler Beckett is hard too, unless you sell his ship.
    And Barbossa is also tricky, as is selecting the Castaway option.

11. Skyworm

Thanks Gents, but I'm not playing this for the first time. :guns:

I am just still undecided what to play. Barbossa is in consideration. At least, he has a fine ship and a big hat! :onya

12. Pieter Boelen

I know you're not. I also hope you won't be playing it for the last time either. ;)

On default settings, he is CURSED. That adds an interesting challenge.
    But you can change him to "Corsair" to play as a more regular pirate.

13. Carl

Carl Powder Monkey

Time to say thank you! I´ve downloaded the last version some time ago, and well, it rocks! I wasn´t able to play a complete story line, cause currently I am totally infected by Skyrim, but I recognized a few changes and had my fun aboard and at land.
    Thanks guys, and good luck with Hearts Of Oak! I still did not download the alpha, should do it, but addicted to one game is enough for the moment. :)

Pieter Boelen and Tingyun like this.
  14. Pillat

Pillat Sea Demon Storm Modder

Student
    Ahoy mates, long time no see.. Had too much to do with my studies and then the game somehow got forgotten and this site got forgotten too.. Now that I recently watched all parts of the movie, I am into it again :D I am copying the last POTC copy I found to my PC - unfortunately it is 2.5 Version - so.. I think I have to update to 3.0 then to 3.5 and then I can update to 4.0 is that correct?
    Oh and btw, it is too long since I tried with coding and so on - and I dont really think I have much time for this. I still can tweak and balance some things and can work as a tester and say what's good and what not, but dont really want to get deeper into coding anymore. I am sorry

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  15. Tingyun

Tingyun Corsair Storm Modder

Hi Pillat! Good to meet you, I'm new here but can answer your question.

You can directly download the 4.1 installation files here, and then after installing the July 28th version, download the "extra installation" file to get the September 22nd update. All here, no need to go through previous versions: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 23 sept] | PiratesAhoy!

After that, there are some optional additional installs, like the "Levis fixes" released yesterday, which adds a new "buff" system for status effects, and the double running speed files being tested in build beta and brainstorming forum. But if you want the latest base version, everything is in that link. :)

16. Pieter Boelen

Welcome back, @Pillat!

I'll be especially curious to hear how you like the "Curse of Davy Jones" challenge.
    I put that in the game with only minimal effort and I've got no clue if it is playable at all.
    But it might be fun to try! :cheeky

To install, you only need the Beta 4 files from the link in my signature.
    No intermediate updates required. :no

17. Pillat

Pillat Sea Demon Storm Modder

Student
    Ah thats nice to hear, I already feared that I have to update like 10 times :D I will download it tomorrow.

@Pieter : Ok, that will be the first thing I do when I updated it ;)

18. Pieter Boelen

Of course not! We wouldn't do that to you. :no

If you want to get "back into the swing" of the game, you might want to make it your second thing. :cheeky

19. Levis

Levis Find(Rum) = false; Staff Member Programmer Creative Support Storm Modder

ICT
    welcome back @Pillat good to see you back here!