1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 31 August 2017]

Discussion in 'POTC: New Horizons Mod' started by Pieter Boelen, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Ron foster

Ron foster Landlubber

retired Coast Guard Commander, PhD scientist
    I've seen the Hornblower listing.
    Sid was tricked into fronting the Atari version of the Akella game ( licensed?) and his promotions described a much better game ... closer to NH than resulted. Disney hired Bethesda Softworks to mod the Akella game into their movie connected attempt to merchandise this game to their target consumer.

I've only been able to access this forum recently since the last year I've been unable to get the login code that was supposed to be sent to my email.

Malware is the term for any piece of software with malicious intent. Malware includes spyware, worms, viruses, and other malicious programs. Anything that ruins an otherwise good program is malware. Given that definition and my interpretation I would be interested in a logical discussion of why you felt the cursed coin that turns everyone into homicidal zombies is a good feature in an otherwise C. S. Forester simulation... which is what I am trying to find.

Justify your intent for this gimmick, and the rational of why this is not an option on the start menu? I am very interested in hearing your rationale, perhaps you can persuade me to accept this as part of the game play enjoyment... which is, after all, why we play such games... right?

You obviously do not know what you are talking about:
    Malware is the term for any piece of software with malicious intent. Malware includes spyware, worms, viruses, and other malicious programs.

Not just the opinion of someone who disagrees with you... you live your life and let others live theirs... right?

It's been fun guys but the tide is turning and I must get underway.

Aloha

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  2. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Exactly true.
    A graphic of something spinning that does no harm to any software or hardware components therefore qualifies in exactly zero ways.
    Personal preference is as unrelated as it comes.
    So as long as you keep using that word inappropriately, you sound like a troll.

It's not a C.S. Forester simulation though, is it?
    It can be for those people who want it to be.
    And it can be something else for those people who want something else.
    We like catering to all audiences at the same time.

You want an options menu bigger than the sun, do you? :razz

But seriously, when the first PotC film came out, I liked it a lot. That is why I bought this game. And that is how I got here.
    Which means NH in its current form would never have existed of it weren't for a film with cursed coins in it.
    I thought they would add some nice flavour to the mod and another modder agreed and made it. It's been in the mod ever since.
    The Hornblower storyline was also written at my suggestion, but many years later.

Ultimately, you're using a huge amount of words to say "I'd prefer something other than that spinning cursed coin".
    That's fair enough, so just swap out progress.tga.tx with a version you do like and be done with it.
    There is a weird sphere version from the stock game you could copy in.
    Or a spinning steering wheel from Age of Pirates, which might work.
    Hardly worth making such a fuss over.

Inspired by very recent modding developments by @Homo eructus:
    [​IMG]

3. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Deck Scrubber, 2nd Class Staff Member Storm Modder

Writer and historian
    I stated my assessment of your, as you managed to accurately articulate for a change, diatribe. Yet once again, you shoot wide of the mark regarding the context of the word "offensive". I do find in retrospect that using the words "laughable", "patently ridiculous", and "flaming dumpster fire" would have been equally on point without making your head hurt quite as much.

Again, context. A pity it escapes you so. In this case, "bully" refers to your single-minded attempts to beat everyone over the head with your utterly inane point of view to satisfy your obsession with being right, facts and reason be damned. Perhaps your next chat with your therapist will be a productive one. I rather doubt it.

Yes. Stilted. As in skewed with respect to normalcy. Hilariously so. Given your penchant for slinging words about without any regard whatsoever for their actual, documented meaning, the idea you would question anyone's literacy is pure farce.

Easy enough, seeing how your lane leads under a bridge like any good little troll.

Flannery and Hylie Pistof like this.
  4. LarryHookins

LarryHookins Buccaneer Staff Member Storm Modder

Actually, forum posts are one form of software. Software includes more than just programs, although probably only people in the industry understand this fully.

Your name is familiar. Did you play backgammon on GameSpy some years ago?

Hook

Hylie Pistof likes this.
  5. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

Then I am curious as to why you choose not to play that storyline.

The key phrase there is "malicious intent". Plenty of other people enjoy PoTC:NH, and certainly it is nobody's intention to harm enjoyment, therefore "malicious intent" is false. Calling a game you do not like "malware" is the same as calling a food which you do not like "poison".

So, you want the cursed coin to be an option which you can switch off at the start of the game?

There are two ways you can disable the cursed coin. One is to pick a storyline which disables it entirely; "Hornblower" is such a storyline. The other is to choose "Realistic" mode. In fact, that is the default setting. You can only get the curse of the coin by switching to "Arcade" mode. But of course, you'd never do that if you want a realistic game, would you?

Basically, the curse is an option which you have to switch on at the start of the game. You evidently chose to switch it on, and then complained about it. xD

6. Hylie Pistof

Hylie Pistof Curmudgeon Staff Member QA Tester Storm Modder

"I enjoy a good challenge."

That statement combined with the tone of all your other posts puts your presence here in its proper perspective. Please remember that you are a guest here. This is not a Democracy and there is no 1st Amendment.

Mad Jack Wolfe and LarryHookins like this.
  7. Hylie Pistof

I landed at Santo Domingo and was met by some thugs on the dock. After they were dispatched I noticed the gate guards were fighting some people and was then surprised when they attacked us. After we killed them and their reinforcements I started looting corpses and noticed that I had taken the uniform from one of the soldiers. What would I want with a torn bloody uniform? And why was I unable to loot any corpses after that?

8. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

I think that's a feature @Grey Roger added some time.

9. Hylie Pistof

I'm wondering what the point is?

10. Pieter Boelen

Can't remember. I'm sure he does though and will tell you next week. :doff

11. Hylie Pistof

Sigh.......:boom:

The Early Neptunus was built with the mizzen and lateen sails connected so the lateen always faced in the wrong direction. I have just been living with it until I checked the GMs today. Back in 2015 someone, probably Armada, separated them and I never noticed. :facepalm

So I am now redoing them all. Since I have repainted them I have no idea how to get them back to stock colors when I'm done. For instance, this is the Portagee version. POTC 9-2-2017_2017_10_28_17_30_39_036.jpg

12. Grey Roger

I've no idea why you were unable to loot corpses.

The idea of giving you the free uniform was to give you some sort of reward for actually managing to defeat all the guards plus their reinforcements. If you want, you can now disguise yourself as a soldier. If you're lucky, you got an officer uniform. You can assume that whoever patches and cleans your own clothes after you've been in a fight and taken a lot of damage, can also fix the uniform.

Of course, you could buy a uniform from a tailor's shop for a lot less effort, though I'm not sure if officer uniforms are available for sale.

13. Pieter Boelen

They are.
    But I think you need a LoM to be able to buy any of them.

Of course disguising yourself with a uniform isn't really a functional feature for general gameplay.

14. Grey Roger

Not yet, though I can imagine it being another way to persuade a soldier to give you patrol times for smuggling purposes...

15. Jack Rackham

Jack Rackham HoO Team Member Quest Writer Storm Modder

math teacher
    @GreyRoger, please let me know when it's time for another zip. I've got files to upload again.

16. Grey Roger

There are a few projects in the works which should be ready fairly soon, at which point I'll put out a new zip containing the whole lot. If you have files ready, you may as well upload them so I can add them into my update folder.

Does the new stuff include anything which you can access by playing "Woodes Rogers", either by playing the storyline to conclusion or by talking to Blackbeard's head?

17. Jack Rackham

math teacher
    Okay I'll upload now then.

Only the the very beginning of WoodesRogers part 2 can be played by using
    the last case in Blackbeard's head dialog. The story continues...

Other unfinished parts can be testplayed from StartStoryline.c
    Place // at the beginning of line 325 and open (remove the //) from any of the other alternatives.

Case 45, 47, 50, 55, 56, 62 and 80 are playable.

18. Jack Rackham

math teacher
    I have uploaded 58 files on dropbox in "JRH files 2920 17-10-31".

Could you please delete these files:
    RESOURCE/MODELS/Locations/Inside/mediumhouse2/ the four juch_ files.
    RESOURCE/MODELS/Locations/Inside/Smallhone/sh_l_Q2.gm

dropbox:

my e-mail jrhjrh@live.se
    new password as I had to change it: calicojack

19. Grey Roger

You might want to change your password again, bearing in mind you've posted it onto an open forum, and the nature of some of the people we've seen here recently. ;)

It should be possible to put things onto Dropbox such that I can download them without needing to log on. I don't need to log on in order to vew NewPirateAge stuff, for example.

The files you want deleted aren't part of my update archive any more, they're part of the 31st August installer. @Mad Jack Wolfe: please remove those files when you create the next installer.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  20. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Deck Scrubber, 2nd Class Staff Member Storm Modder

Writer and historian
    I'll make a note of it. Thanks for the heads-up. :onya