• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone already downloaded it, please get it again. Apparently there was a mistake.
I think I managed to fix it now.

This whole High Priority - Change way shared XP works | PiratesAhoy! business is one helluva rush job.
I didn't want to have to do it in the first place and even if I did, normally I'd take a whole weekend for it.
Now I had a few hours, inbetween the Beta 4 compiling and stuff. Definitely NOT ideal. :thumbsdown2

Hopefully it kind-of sort-of wants to work out OK in the game now. Then at least it'll have been worth the trouble.

An oddity about false flags.

They seem to work well with forts and ships sailing around ports. I sailed into and out of Santiago just fine.

Merchants recognize me right away it seems as they will trade with me but will not give me a job hauling cargo for them.

Two times now when encountering ships on the open sea they were hostile and chased me from the moment they appeared. My false flag should have fooled them but it did not. I now fly the false flag all the time.

It happened again. They were facing away and over 2000 yards away when they spawned, but turned and pursued me.

Last edited:
Please post your compile.log file. Unless I disabled them already, that should contain some explanations on what exactly happened and why.

The False Flag recognising code does not distinguish between merchants or otherwise.
As far as that is concerned, all ships and forts are treated completely equally.

If they recognised you before though, then they do remember and you can't fool them again.

With merchants, do you refer to their doing business with you while ashore?
@Grey Roger recently made some changes to the Trade Check function which may be affecting you
What exactly are your nation relations with the nation that you're trying to trade with?

Maybe post a savegame too.

I don't have a compile.log of those encounters but will try to remember the next time it happens as they are totally random encounters. Same with a save. As far as I know I have never been recognized and it is always the British and Spanish that come after me. Like I said before, I sailed into and out of Santiago just fine and outside of sneaking into Barbados one time I have avoided the British completely.

When I go into a store of a nation that is hostile to me they will buy and sell goods but will not give me a merchant run because I am "still sinking their ships". This happens the very first time I go in there so there is no grace period.

An oddity about false flags.

They seem to work well with forts and ships sailing around ports. I sailed into and out of Santiago just fine.

Merchants recognize me right away it seems as they will trade with me but will not give me a job hauling cargo for them.
That's odd. From what I can make out of "Arnaud Matton_dialog.c" (for no reason than I went down the list of dialog files and that was the first one I spotted which I recognised as a store keeper), they do a false flag check. If it fails (i.e. they did not spot that your flag is false) then they go to all the normal options. If the false flag check passed (i.e. they know your flag is false) then they either refuse to have anything to do with you or, if you have high enough Commerce skill, allow you to trade at unfavourable prices. I can't see how they'll trade but refuse to give cargo missions.

What is your genuine relationship to the nation where you're trying to trade - Wary? As I recall, you normally like to play Personal nation, which should make everyone Wary. Also, what are your reputation and fame?

Two times now when encountering ships on the open sea they were hostile and chased me from the moment they appeared. My false flag should have fooled them but it did not. I now fly the false flag all the time.
@Pieter Boelen: do ships use 'tradecheck' to detect your false flag? If not, what I did should not have any effect on this, which means something else is causing it.

Last edited:
Ships do not use the Trade Check function, no.
So I'd be curious to see compile.log . ANY one for starters to check if those logs are still enabled.

If not, they'd have to be re enabled in Screwface_functions.c .
I may have disabled them once we found that things do actually work now.

I'm confused on the yes to trading, no to quests trader as well.
A savegame for that may be required.

Update: the merchant in Santiago is Jose Zugarro. Looking further down "Jose Zugarro_dialog.c", the bit about "not as long as you're sinking Spanish ships" is triggered here:
Code:
    case "generate_quest":
       if(!CheckAttribute(npchar,"quest.trade_date")) npchar.quest.trade_date = ""; // added by MAXIMUS
       if(npchar.quest.trade_date != lastspeak_date)
       {
         npchar.quest.trade_date = lastspeak_date;
         //ïðîâåðêà âðàæäåáíîñòè íàì ñòðàíû òîðãîâöà
         if (GetNationRelation2MainCharacter(sti(NPChar.nation)) == RELATION_ENEMY) // KK
         {
           dialog.snd = "Voice\EMRI\EMRI007";
           dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[27];
           link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[28];
           link.l1.go = "exit";
         }
'DLG_TEXT[27]' is the line in question. He gets to this point if the call on 'tradecheck' earlier in the dialog did not spot your false flag - if he does, you'll know about it because he tells you he won't trade with someone of your nationality and reputation, so get out. But this bit doesn't appear to look for false flags, it looks straight at your relation to his nation and gives the message about sinking ships if you're hostile.

There have been no other instances yet of me getting chased to report.

About the store merchants: The very first time I walk into the store of a hostile colony the merchant will deal with me but will not give me a merchant run. The 2nd time I go in there the merchant usually will not trade with me at all and threatens to call the guards. The pirate store on Nevis almost always deals with me though, which is nice because when I stop in there to get the pirate upgrade for my ships I suddenly have more cargo space to fill with goods from her store. :cheers

There IS code in place to make low level merchants chase you and be stubborn about it.
So that could indeed happen. But of course they have to be already hostile before they could do that.

The first time you talk to a character, the dialog is often different.
If there is no quest available from merchants belonging to a hostile nation, that is indeed not a bug

I don't really know where to put this so.......

After playing for 2 days without a crash I went to the Steam forums for a while. When I left I forgot to turn Steam off and yup, less than 10 minutes into POTC it crashed. This is the 3rd time Steam has crashed POTC on me, which is leading me to the hypothesis that it is background programs that are crashing POTC. The game itself seems to be ok now, but it can't seem to handle stuff happening in the background.

Was the reputation system changed or something? Because I seem to lose reputation fast and struggle to get it back

I loaned money from a loan shark and payed back a month later but the quest did not finish. This caused a huge rep hit and then I made several mistakes I won't mention. By this time I had the rank of bloody terror so I did a few ship sinking quests and good deeds to raise it back up.

It would not go up higher the rascal causing almost no one to give me quests or trade with me so I cheated and put it up to bloke and now whenever I get a rep change it just tells me that I'm now a bloke.

Some slight tweaks were made to it here and there, but nothing substantial yet.
Not sure why that would happen for you, I'm afraid.

dunno maybe i did something that lowered it but did not notice? could just be on my end...
apart from that things are looking good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back