• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Build 14 Beta 4 Master Plan

A fair bit to improve on the customization options.
Right now a lot is still hard coded and not quite flexible.

If you start as PERSONAL_NATION Rebel, then only England hates you (need *some* sort of default value :facepalm ).
PERSONAL_NATION Rebel is silly. Therefore silliness should result.

"PERSONAL_NATION" is supposed to start you off friendly to everyone except pirates. True anti-PERSONAL_NATION would make you hostile to everyone except pirates, but that's the same as if you start off as pirate, so PERSONAL_NATION Rebel should be hostile to everyone. Everybody hates you. Even you hate yourself, which is why you're rebelling against yourself. xD
If you capture a colony for PERSONAL_NATION, does its fort then attack you when you try to leave? :facepalm Can you capture a colony for PERSONAL_NATION, install your own governor, then crave forgiveness from him? xD

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I don't think it quite works like that....

And indeed PERSONAL_NATION Rebel IS silly. I can't prevent it though, so it might as well do *something*.
I think @Jason wanted the ability to start hostile to only one nation (not being the pirates), so that is what it does now.
It defaults to England because "everyone likes England as default". Or something. :razz

Is it possible to start as rebel to pirates? If so, what happens? If it works the same as other nations, you'd start off with the same relations as your chosen nation (so hostile to everyone except pirates) and hostile to your chosen nation (so hostile to them as well). That's the one which ought to start you off as hostile to everyone, then.

Nations are just stored as numeric variables, aren't they? Would it be possible, if you start off as PERSONAL_NATION Rebel, to pick a nation at random and be hostile to that? Or figure out some way to choose your enemy. Otherwise you can't start off as friendly to everyone except Spain, for example - your only choice of single enemy is Britain.

Is it possible to start as rebel to pirates? If so, what happens? If it works the same as other nations, you'd start off with the same relations as your chosen nation (so hostile to everyone except pirates) and hostile to your chosen nation (so hostile to them as well). That's the one which ought to start you off as hostile to everyone, then.
Just quoting my post from yesterday:
If you start as PIRATE Rebel, then EVERYONE except the pirates hate you.
I could also change it so that you'd be hostile to the pirates too, but isn't that a bit overkill? Y'd have absolutely NOWHERE to go! :shock

Nations are just stored as numeric variables, aren't they? Would it be possible, if you start off as PERSONAL_NATION Rebel, to pick a nation at random and be hostile to that? Or figure out some way to choose your enemy. Otherwise you can't start off as friendly to everyone except Spain, for example - your only choice of single enemy is Britain.
Making the hostile nation random instead of hardcoded as "ENGLAND" is certainly possible.

If you want to choose only one specific enemy, then we would need another player type.
Perhaps "Rebel" can be "hostile only to your chosen nation" while "Rogue" could be "original nation relations, but hostile to your original nation"?
Doesn't make things simpler, but does at least distinguish further between those types.

I was also thinking that La Croix shouldn't actually be a "Gambler", because I don't remember ANY reference being made to his gambling debt at any point during that story.
Probably that was once @Thomas the Terror's intent, but he never got round to elaborating on it. What IS relevant though is that the Rogue character makes note of being from Paris, which does fit with La Croix.
So should La Croix be changed to "Rogue"? But that wouldn't work well with our above thought. :facepalm

If you start as PIRATE Rebel, then EVERYONE except the pirates hate you.
And if you start as a PIRATE (not Rebel)? Does being a Rebel make a difference if you're PIRATE?
I could also change it so that you'd be hostile to the pirates too, but isn't that a bit overkill? Y'd have absolutely NOWHERE to go! :shock
Some people like a challenge. That's why there's an Evil Stormy Start. ;)
If you want to choose only one specific enemy, then we would need another player type.
Perhaps "Rebel" can be "hostile only to your chosen nation" while "Rogue" could be "original nation relations, but hostile to your original nation"?
Doesn't make things simpler, but does at least distinguish further between those types.
Or make it dependent on either difficulty or realism?
Rebel, Arcade / Journeyman or less: you're only hostile to your choice of nation. Rebel, Realistic / Adventurer or higher: adopt the relations of your choice of nation, but that nation is also hostile.

And if you start as a PIRATE (not Rebel)? Does being a Rebel make a difference if you're PIRATE?
Good point. Indeed starting as pirate already pretty much gives you that, so there is no particular need for Rebel to do the same.

Some people like a challenge. That's why there's an Evil Stormy Start. ;)
Indeed. Which reminds me, should we perhaps link Evil Stormy Start to DIFFICULTY? At the moment it is triggered on Iron Man Mode, but that is supposed to be a realism mode and I don't see Evil Stormy Start as being particularly realistic.
We could also make it so that Evil Stormy Start is ENFORCED on Swashbuckler mode. But that all depends on how people like to play.

Or make it dependent on either difficulty or realism?
Rebel, Arcade / Journeyman or less: you're only hostile to your choice of nation. Rebel, Realistic / Adventurer or higher: adopt the relations of your choice of nation, but that nation is also hostile.
If I understand correctly, it is mainly something that Jason wants. So @Jason: What realism mode and difficulty level do you usually play at?
Then we can use that to trigger your preferred behaviour.

My first inclination would be to have Arcade = hostile with ONLY your original nation and Realistic/Iron Man = take into account your original nation relations.
The difference is only one line of code so it is easy enough; we just need to know how to set it up so people get what they want without being annoyed.... :wp

Good point. Indeed starting as pirate already pretty much gives you that, so there is no particular need for Rebel to do the same.

Indeed. Which reminds me, should we perhaps link Evil Stormy Start to DIFFICULTY? At the moment it is triggered on Iron Man Mode, but that is supposed to be a realism mode and I don't see Evil Stormy Start as being particularly realistic.
We could also make it so that Evil Stormy Start is ENFORCED on Swashbuckler mode. But that all depends on how people like to play.

If I understand correctly, it is mainly something that Jason wants. So @Jason: What realism mode and difficulty level do you usually play at?
Then we can use that to trigger your preferred behaviour.

My first inclination would be to have Arcade = hostile with ONLY your original nation and Realistic/Iron Man = take into account your original nation relations.
The difference is only one line of code so it is easy enough; we just need to know how to set it up so people get what they want without being annoyed.... :wp

I play arcade, and I think your suggestion is a good one.

Pieter, when you upload new versions could you please set a date to the installer too,
like you do with the extra zip-files. Easier for me to see what I've got already and not.

Pieter, when you upload new versions could you please set a date to the installer too,
like you do with the extra zip-files. Easier for me to see what I've got already and not.
I put a date now in the opening post of that thread with the download link.

Stuff done now:
- "Evil Stormy Start" is triggered on Swashbuckler game mode only, instead of having this linked to Realism Mode, which didn't make much sense.
- Rebel always starts hostile to your selected nation; however, on Arcade Game Mode, that will be the ONLY nation hostile to you (this is for @Jason).
- Sinking the Vogelstuijs is now a regularly available sidequest; but the dialogs have to rewritten to be un-"La Croix"-ed.
- La Croix now is a Rogue instead of a Gambler; I'll remove all gambling references when I get round to improving dialogs here and there.
- La Croix starts on the beach further away from Celestino again to give you the time to save if you want to.
- Random characters removed from the prison scene to prevent them messing things up.
This seems to also have gotten rid of the "Fort Commander Reinforcements" and therefore the difficulty is reduced to what it was before.
- "Fort Commander Reinforcements" are limited further to hopefully no longer occur unintentionally during quest scenes.

As far as I can tell, the La Croix functionality does now work.
This will be uploaded later; probably on Monday/Tuesday evening or so.

Let's see where we stand on this:

Custom openings need a bit more work. Some dialogs and explanatory texts are to be rewritten.
Since literally anyone could do that part, I would really appreciate if that would not have to be me.

Sidequests are mostly operational, still a few to be tested.
Hopefully that can be closed off very soon now. Keep up the testing!

Hornblower is getting there. Slight expansion to be added to the end.
Again, I hope that can be taken care of by someone else.

Devlin storyline still has some compatibility issues; I will take care of those.

Jack Sparrow storyline will very likely have similar problems.
Once the sidequests are tested, I hope people can focus on fully checking that one too.

I may put a hold on most other projects for a while until these large changes are finished and closed.
Have to avoid doing too many things at the same time.

I did a search for background professions and this was the only post that showed up.. and since I did not see an answer to my question figured I might ask it.

I figure that I am doing something incorrectly, but I can not change my profession on any type of story line. Even if it is just free play and not a story line, I still can't change it to a different profession. Am I missing something or was that disabled in 3.4?

Thanks,

Kurt

EDIT: The game crashed when I went to start a new game.. reloaded and now I can pick my profession.

Yes that is a good thing for those that want to wear uniforms. I had to wear a uniform a long time ago and that did not go well at all. Never actually ended up in jail tho.

I did a search for background professions and this was the only post that showed up.. and since I did not see an answer to my question figured I might ask it.

I figure that I am doing something incorrectly, but I can not change my profession on any type of story line. Even if it is just free play and not a story line, I still can't change it to a different profession. Am I missing something or was that disabled in 3.4?

Thanks,

Kurt

EDIT: The game crashed when I went to start a new game.. reloaded and now I can pick my profession.
Sounds like a potential error in the installation.
Even in Beta 3.4 it should work, except Fir some storylines where it is locked.
But those are marked accordingly in the interface.

Back