• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Build 14: New Installer Method for Testing and Feedback

When should we switch to using this new method?

• Total voters
I started with a clean stock install and put the B14 stuff into it. That way I did not lose any existing games.

So, if understand I create a new folder, but both files in it and run the installer, is that right?

I should not try to install this on top of the existing game, is that right?

And if that works, are we finished using the old POTC discs for a clean install?

So, if understand I create a new folder, but both files in it and run the installer, is that right?

And if that works, are we finished using the old POTC discs for a clean install?

I save the installers in their own folder and replace the old ones with new ones when they come along.

I would not install this one at all until someone says what is wrong with my install. And if you install this onto an existing install you will lose all your saved games.

You will always need to start a new install with a stock POTC.

I installed everything ok and started the game. Got the cannonball and the ships and it froze. Logs here.
Indeed I got that error.log entry now too; looked to be a typo with some of the new code.
Now fixed with the EXE from the opening post.
Strangely enough, the game did still start fine even with that error.

If it still doesn't work with this EXE, please make a zip including your entire MODULES, PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folders.
Include also all loose files from your main game folder.
All this based on the version AFTER installation, so I can check any differences with my own game version.

I've got no idea why this is going wrong on your ends as I haven't been able to break it on this side yet at all.
So I'll need to see all details we can find so hopefully we can track down whatever is going on here. :confused:

You should also be able to place the files in your main game folder now if you don't want to make a different folder.

That should work too. :yes

For legal reasons, the original discs will always be required.
I personally have a ZIP archive with the game files in there that I use rather than the actual discs.

I think this is very odd the dat file has downloaded twice as a Word file and the installer clearly doesn't recognize it. The installation has aborted twice. :modding

Never mind. I got it to work fine by putting everything in the main game folder ...... and then... when I loaded the game I got as far as the cannon shot (like Hylie) and every thing froze.

I will got the new installer and try again.

Attachments

• error.log
    546 bytes · Views: 129
Last edited:
I got the new EXE and tried it. It turns out it only works with a new clean stock POTC install. It refused to work with the existing one. Then it got to the same place and locked up again. Here are the requested files and folders.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/AAAv6UwRZJarVE36L6UdmhqDa/stuff for Pieter-1.7z?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/AAC8B4zJkP4dmU9mLaFlRmzga/stuff for Pieter-2.7z?dl=0
Thanks! Looks like everybody has the same problem for some strange reason.
Here's to hoping this allows me to figure out why. :cheers

EDIT: You manually renamed "ENGINE.exe" to "POTC CAB.exe" for this install, right?

Pieter,

I just renamed the ENEGINE.EXE as you said and that didn't make any difference. Exactly the same as before.

I figured it out. The reason is REALLY WEIRD!
If you install WITH unfinished storylines, it should work.

There are two unfinished storylines now, which are disabled by having their StartStoryline.c files renamed to StartStoryline_off.c .
This has been the case for a long, long time now with the Gold-Bug one. However, it is now also done for DevlinOpera.
Apparently while the current game code CAN handle one storyline being disabled like that, it cannot handle two of them.
Figure that one out! o_O

I'll have to think how best to handle this one. If two is a problem, then I suspect one isn't such a good idea either.
That means we may need a better way of disabling storylines....

I just renamed the ENEGINE.EXE as you said and that didn't make any difference. Exactly the same as before.
I was just observing what Hylie did; I'm not suggesting there is any need to do that. :no

Yes I have multiple POTC installs and rename the EXE to keep them separate and so I know which one is what.

I installed with no unfinished storylines.

I installed again. As before it would not install into anything except a clean stock POTC install, so I had to delete the contents of the game folder and start over.

This time I checked the box for the unfinished storylines and it was a completely different install process as it took much longer. The game also runs now. I chose free play in the year 1560 and so far so good.

In conclusion the unfinished storylines MUST be installed into a clean stock POTC install.

I installed again. As before it would not install into anything except a clean stock POTC install, so I had to delete the contents of the game folder and start over.
When you tried to install on your existing game version, it probably told you "Build 14 Beta 4 Main Files not found. Make sure to install those through this wizard first!", right?
That is because of the extra check I built in to check if people extracted the archive manually; if they do that, then they'll be missing one file.
The installer detects that missing file and gives the error message you have seen.
Once you installed the latest EXE I posted here, it'll work for Beta 4 base updates in the future: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-5-internal-wip-for-testing.24817/

In conclusion the unfinished storylines MUST be installed into a clean stock POTC install.
Correct. Once I figure out how to better handle disabled storylines, that won't be necessary anymore.
But that isn't going to be today.

In any case, the previous version installer will also be affected by the exact same problem as it is not actually related to the installation process.

In any case, the previous version installer will also be affected by the exact same problem as it is not actually related to the installation process.
Don't tell that to my installation. :)

Having seen the problems reported by other people with the new installer, I ran the newest version of the old-style installer but only selected updates - not main game files, not unfinished storylines. There is a bit of minor weirdness with saved games but it completed the update installation.

Having seen the problems reported by other people with the new installer, I ran the newest version of the old-style installer but only selected updates - not main game files, not unfinished storylines. There is a bit of minor weirdness with saved games but it completed the update installation.
Do you have the Devlin and/or Gold-Bug storylines in your game menu? If you have either of those two, then your game wouldn't be affected.

The EXE in the opening post has now been updated. It should now work also if you don't select the Unfinished Storylines.

I'd also be interested to hear why people are voting for the "Wait until the Build 14 Final release" option.
While the method used by the current installer EXE works in most cases, it is inefficient and can cause installation errors as has been known to happen.
The new version is much more reliable.

Note that the problems people have had with the new version have had absolutely nothing to do with the actual installation process.
Those issues should also be fixed as per right now.

I suggest not using this system for beta releases. Unless you'll want to have for example some more beta releases, say beta 7 for example! But don't do it just for beta 4! every one should download the big file again :)

I suggest not using this system for beta releases. Unless you'll want to have for example some more beta releases, say beta 7 for example! But don't do it just for beta 4! every one should download the big file again :)
If people install using this latest EXE, they can continue to use Beta 4 base updates in the future:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-5-internal-wip-for-testing.24817/

Admittedly a bit annoying, but they can always download the new large archive when they've got the chance.

Anyway, I don't care so much either way now. If people insist not using the better method for the coming release, then so be it. :shrug

Back