• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

C programming student

michalus

HoO Team Member
Programmer
Provisional
#include <reading.h>
int main(void)
{
Ahoy Landratten,
my name is Michael from Münster Germany. I like to lock myself in a dark room in the basement where i type IFs and WHILEs, eat junkfood, drink energy drinks, pee in a bag and listen to futuristic electro music. Apart from that i fancy sailing pirate ships like in the old PotC or in AC Black Flag.
Im currently in my first year studying computer science at university in Münster. As i just wrote my first wave of exams i will be having a lot of freetime for the next 2 month and would like to get involved into the hearts of oak project.
So far, im experienced in C and Pascal as programming languages. I know that C# is the way to go for unity. Except for some Project Spark stuff, ive not developed games or mods so far. Ive always wanted to do something with unity but never found a good reason to learn it, until now...... :)
As i might become a game developer once i finished university, im curious to find out how stuff works and if i like it. I hope i can contribute to the game while learning for my future.
I have a skype but be prepared for guter deutscher Akzent.
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Ahoy there! And welcome to the forums. :woot

Any ideas specifically what you would like to work on? @Captain Murphy is supervising the programming side of things and he should be along soon.

And we've definitely got some more Germans on the team, so I'm sure you'd be able to fit in nicely there. :cheeky

Welcome aboard!

.. I like to lock myself in a dark room in the basement where i type IFs and WHILEs, eat junkfood, drink energy drinks, pee in a bag and listen to futuristic electro music.

Sooo... you are PacMan? :type1

Just kidding, Pieter or Armada can get you added to the Programming group and I will send you my Skype info. As @Wedori can tell you, my German language skills are non-existent, but I do speak fluent Geek. You have picked a good time to come in, as we are revamping the design docs and changing some of the development tasks around so we can get something for you to do pretty quickly. I look forward to hearing from you.

aye .. i want to help the developement team im from philippines and i am a graduating IT student im on my fourth year right now so if i can help for the developement of this game please give me some info on how to ..

Hi @Daryll, welcome!

We'd love to have more programmers on the team. What experience do you have with Unity and/or C#? Have you worked on games or mod development before?

@Armada, no I dont have any experience like that, actually my only experience is developing a game using uity for our thesis project. I know I little about C# so i think I can help the developement team. I want this game so i would like to help developing it.

sorry for my english XD.

Any experience with Unity is a good start, so that's helpful. @JohnSilver is our Lead Developer, and he might be able to find something for you to do.

EDIT: I just saw your QA application. If you'd rather do that instead of programming, that's fine.

Last edited:
Hey @Daryll,

What sort of interest do you have in developing games?

Here is currently my top items in the development queue:
  • @streeter is currently working on an improved auto gunnery targeting script
  • University of Western Sydney is currently assisting us in developing an intelligent agent system for NPC AI
  • I am currently working on the following
    • rewriting the ship buoyancy, sailing and rudder scripts again
    • applying our damage system to more components on the Albans
    • trying to create damage materials for hull, deck, sail and mast damage (my artistic talents are minimal)
    • equipping the Albans for crew interaction with NavMeshes, such as moving below decks, climbing rigging, and so on
    • swapping the primary game character from UMA to MCS
    • adding sounds and other particle effects
  • We could use help on the following:
    • Writing a new character morph interface for MCS
    • Building new and/or revising UI elements
    • Add combat animations to the MCS/UMA characters for firing pistols, swords, musket
    • Wire up inventory system to show character equipping items
    • Finding or creating animations for loading cannons, climbing rigging, steering helm, swimming, etc.
    • morph or cloth scripts for sails furling/unfurling
    • level design or convert some existing elements into usable terrain tiles
    • breaking down ship assets into damage sections and components
I have likely missed some things but that should get us started.

Cheers,

JS

Hi @JohnSilver

I can help with the ff:
Wire up inventory system to show character equipping items.
Finding or creating animations for loading cannons, climbing, rigging, steering helm etc.
please email me. i need details coz Im newbie on this. here's my email daryllvsantos@gmail.com

EDIT: well I can do both of them @Armada. Im happy that I can help for this great game btw. I will do my best :)

Last edited:
please email me. i need details coz Im newbie on this. here's my email daryllvsantos@gmail.com
How about we start with the additional character animations. Instead of emailing we typically prefer to keep communication on the forum since that is a great archive of our conversations.

I will start a new conversation with you and we can get you started on some character animation development.

Welcome aboard...

JS

EDIT: well I can do both of them @Armada. Im happy that I can help for this great game btw. I will do my best :)
OK then, I've added you to the QA and Programming groups. You can now access the Development forum, and I'd suggest using that to post any QA feedback.

Back