• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Can't access cheatmode

Homo eructus

Privateer
Storm Modder
I enabled cheatmode in the InternalSettimgs.h file but when I went back ingame pressing the numpad keys did nothing. Does it work everywhere or only in certain modes?
I was trying to board a surrendered brig but the captain won't comply (treacherous Brit!) and keeps one-shotting me, so I wanted to show him the power of God just for a moment.

I enabled cheatmode in the InternalSettimgs.h file but when I went back ingame pressing the numpad keys did nothing. Does it work everywhere or only in certain modes?
Make sure you have "Num Lock" enabled on your keyboard; otherwise it doesn't work.

Yep, that was it, thank you. I feel dumb.

Anyway, have you guys ever thought about doing something with the whole dueling the captain 1 on 1 every time you board a ship? It's kind of annoying when you manage to outmaneuver a superior ship enough to chip away her crew, and be able to board her and defeat the crew but in the end you lose everything because a high level captain who has been hiding in his cabin for the whole fight kills you on 1 on 1. Couldn't it be made so the captain joins his crew in the main boarding action?

Couldn't it be made so the captain joins his crew in the main boarding action?
If the ship does not surrender, then he does exactly that.

Anyway, have you guys ever thought about doing something with the whole dueling the captain 1 on 1 every time you board a ship? It's kind of annoying when you manage to outmaneuver a superior ship enough to chip away her crew, and be able to board her and defeat the crew but in the end you lose everything because a high level captain who has been hiding in his cabin for the whole fight kills you on 1 on 1.
I've definitely thought about it. That whole dialog file could do with some serious updating. It is my intention to look into that for the next modpack update.
I have some plans to improve the purpose of reputation and fame. The effects of that should modify the reponse from surrendered captains.
So this will probably be tackled at some point.

If the Captain keeps shooting you, then step up close before talking to him so he can not shoot you. If he still kills you anyway then you need to improve yourself before taking him on. Maybe your sword is junk or you have no melee skills.

I know that, and in other circunstances I'd have accepted it and turned tail. It was literally my first fight so I was indeed junk. But it annoyed me that he still fought after surrendering his ship (which I had earned by outmaneuvering him with my inferior ship and riddling his with grapeshot) and I was forced to fight him 1on1 when even if he was a better fighter than me, my crew had the upper hand and that should be enough to secure the ship. I just don't like the forced duels with the captains, I think it is a throwback to the time of the grandparents of the genre, when they couldn't render a proper boarding and the duel had to stand in for the actual battle, but I don't think it's needed in POTC and is kind of pointless that the result of a multi-stage boarding hinges in that particular duel, no matter how many of the enemy crew have been slaughtered and how many of your men you have with you.

Personally I have no problem in principle with the duel. Pirates' Code - the crew fight to get you as far as the captain's cabin but that's where you stop hiding behind them and prove that you're a worthy captain, because if the other captain defeats you then they'll follow him instead. It makes less sense if you're playing as a naval officer, of course. But boarding shouldn't be too easy because the rewards are significant - at the very least looting the cargo, better is if you can capture and sell the ship, best is if the ship is better than your current one and you take it over.

But perhaps the captains of smaller ships could be toned down. Last time I played, I boarded a tier 6 tiddler while in command of a tier 4 frigate. Several broadsides of grapeshot later, the enemy ship surrendered, leaving me to fight the captain, who had over 400 HP. I hit him several times, then he killed me with one strike. A high level captain like that could be expected on a larger ship but tier 6 is almost starting level and the captain should be levelled accordingly. By contrast, if you fight the captain of a battleship, it ought to be epic because if you win, you've just got yourself a battleship.

But perhaps the captains of smaller ships could be toned down. Last time I played, I boarded a tier 6 tiddler while in command of a tier 4 frigate. Several broadsides of grapeshot later, the enemy ship surrendered, leaving me to fight the captain, who had over 400 HP. I hit him several times, then he killed me with one strike. A high level captain like that could be expected on a larger ship but tier 6 is almost starting level and the captain should be levelled accordingly. By contrast, if you fight the captain of a battleship, it ought to be epic because if you win, you've just got yourself a battleship.
That is one of the reasons for this: Planned Feature - Use Generic Captain and Ship Generation Functions | PiratesAhoy!

The idea is to eventually tie captain skills to the ship he's commanding, same as what happens for the player.
That does work for random quest ships, but not quite for generic ships. One day...

Fair enough. It just means boarding isn't a good idea until you have decent melee skill, weapons and armour. This is not a game problem, it's up to the player to get those. :D

Back