• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Can't Launch "New Game" on POTC

jkavorski

Landlubber
Hey guys, I'm new, so this might not be the right spot to post because as far as I can tell this forum covers a whole bunch of pirate games, but this is the game I'm using. ---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_(video_game)--- I just have the original POTC game out of the box with absolutely no downloads, mods, etc. for it except for build 13 (which I believe is the most recent stable build) although I really don't know what difference the builds make. I'm just having a problem, and I've tried forever to fix it by myself with zero success. I just don't know where else to turn so please don't bash me for posting in the wrong area, posting something that's already been dealt with, being an all around noob, etc. Anyway, on to the problem.

I've installed the game properly on my Dell Dimension E310 desktop with Windows XP equipped, and I can open the game up and navigate the pre-game menu as much as I like without having any problems. But as soon as I hit "New Game" it begins to load, and after about 10 seconds of loading it crashes. It gives me this error report---AppName: engine.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: sea.dll---
I don't know the first thing about fixing any of these problems, but I've tried googling the error report. No luck. Tried downloading and installing build 12.1. No luck. Then tried build 13. After hitting "New Game" I got to an unfamiliar screen where I could choose between a variety of characters (I assume this is one of the new features of the build). But once I chose a character and the loading screen came up, it crashed just as before with the same error message. I've probably uninstalled/reinstalled the game about 10 times. And nevertheless I have the same issue over and over. I just don't know what to do. Is there some sort of patch out there that fixes this problem? Or are there any other suggestions for trying to fix it?

Once again, I'm sorry I'm probably not posting right or something and I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I really want to get this game working again and I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. Thank you :)

Hey guys, I'm new, so this might not be the right spot to post because as far as I can tell this forum covers a whole bunch of pirate games, but this is the game I'm using. ---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_(video_game)--- I just have the original POTC game out of the box with absolutely no downloads, mods, etc. for it except for build 13 (which I believe is the most recent stable build) although I really don't know what difference the builds make. I'm just having a problem, and I've tried forever to fix it by myself with zero success. I just don't know where else to turn so please don't bash me for posting in the wrong area, posting something that's already been dealt with, being an all around noob, etc. Anyway, on to the problem.

I've installed the game properly on my Dell Dimension E310 desktop with Windows XP equipped, and I can open the game up and navigate the pre-game menu as much as I like without having any problems. But as soon as I hit "New Game" it begins to load, and after about 10 seconds of loading it crashes. It gives me this error report---AppName: engine.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: sea.dll---
I don't know the first thing about fixing any of these problems, but I've tried googling the error report. No luck. Tried downloading and installing build 12.1. No luck. Then tried build 13. After hitting "New Game" I got to an unfamiliar screen where I could choose between a variety of characters (I assume this is one of the new features of the build). But once I chose a character and the loading screen came up, it crashed just as before with the same error message. I've probably uninstalled/reinstalled the game about 10 times. And nevertheless I have the same issue over and over. I just don't know what to do. Is there some sort of patch out there that fixes this problem? Or are there any other suggestions for trying to fix it?

Once again, I'm sorry I'm probably not posting right or something and I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I really want to get this game working again and I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. Thank you :)

Hi. welcome to PA.NET. your in the right section and we will try to help you where we can.

Firstly could you open up the engine.ini file which is in the same folder as Engine.exe. Open it up in notepad

change the following values to as follows and save the file

[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 1
;tracefiles = 0

Now rerun the game and when it crashes this time there should be a error.log file created

post that file here so we can take a look at the problem

Also what Graphics card do you have??

thanks

He has an Intel card, I can tell by this line in his statement
AppName: engine.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: sea.dll

Please check the FAQ located in the Build Mod section of the forum for the solution, (note the game will run but be rather slow)

Hi. welcome to PA.NET. your in the right section and we will try to help you where we can.

Firstly could you open up the engine.ini file which is in the same folder as Engine.exe. Open it up in notepad

change the following values to as follows and save the file

[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 1
;tracefiles = 0

Now rerun the game and when it crashes this time there should be a error.log file created

post that file here so we can take a look at the problem

Also what Graphics card do you have??

thanks

I tried doing that... how can I access the error log that it makes?
Also, I'm not entirely sure what type graphics card I have but when I right click desktop then go to properties, then settings, it says Display: ViewSonic A90f+ on Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family.

Yes, just saw that. I followed to some problems people are having with SwiftShader or something like that? I'm not really sure what I need to download or alter, so could you just give me some step by step instructions of how to fix this? Sorry, I'm really not good with this stuff. I appreciate it :)

For 3 whole years I have been getting this error message. I finally decided I needed to fix it, because 5 years ago (before we switched out our old computer) this game provided me with hours of fun. I post on this forum, and get the help to fix the problem that very same day. :) You guys are amazing. I think it's so cool that you guys are making all these mods to the game and this is just such a cool community. Sure the game's a bit slow, but at least its playing. So I guess the problem was with my graphics card? I hate my card :(. There's so many games it can't handle.

Yeah old Intel cards have this problem and the new ones you cant play any games that are older than a couple of years, in my experience I stay right away from any card that is Intel based. But a game that is slow is WAY better than a game that doesnt work :yes

Back