• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Can't pick up key

Singer311

Landlubber
This thread was started in the "guncrew does not appear" thread. I decided to move it here to avoid confusion.

Singer311 said:
"Thanks that worked and I didn't have to go back that far, only to just before I shoot the door. Now however I have a new problem, I can't pick up the key. I put the map on the floor and pushed it under, used the compass to get the key out and pulled the map back out again, but now I can't pick up the key. All that happens when I try is that the map gets pushed back under the door. I have tried every combination of items equipped and no items equipped, and nothing seems to work. Am I supposed to be auto-equipped with the key when I pull the map back out(this seems like a likely way to do it), if so, it didn't work. My kids think I have gone insane with me using apparantly random phrases like " Just pick it up, idiot". please salvage my mental health, and prevent my kids from having me commited. Thanks"

Jack Rackham said:
"I don't remember if it's left or right hand to pick it up so try either
F3 + F3 or
F3 + fire pistol button"

Singer311 said:
"I have tried F3 + F3, with and without anything (and everything) equipped. Nothing at all happens. I have tried F3 + Fire Pistol, with and without anything (and everything) equipped, and mostly what happens is the map gets shoved under the door again. I have also tried it by pressing space bar. Again, with and without anything (and everything) equipped. When I do that, nothing happens at all. This is why I am SO frustrated, I have tried everything I can think of and nothing I do seems to be working."

First, this has not been a problem earlier.
Can you (still) see the key on the map?
Are you using any jumpstart? If so which one?
Maybe if you load a savegame and avoid pushing the map back under the door (with the key),
but use F3 + F3 (right hand pick up) when the key gets visible for the first time. It could be a bug.
I'm sorry for this buggy mod, all I can say is that I and other players/testers have tried really hard to find all problems.
:modding
If nothing helps it's jump start "11" I guess (in StartStoryline, uncheck line 38).
But then you have to repeat all alchemy, elevators, and gunning.
I have no time to try "11" myself until monday evening.

yeah I know your all tryin' real hard to find bugs, and I know that I appreciate all that y'all do. I'm not really upset just frustrated. Yeah, I can see the key, I know it's there, but if I use F3 + F3, it just pushes the map (with the key on it) back under the door. I have tried loading a save game, with no (positive) results. The mod itself, for the most part, is not really that buggy. I was able to play through most of it without to much trouble. If I have to, I guess I can do the jump start, but I was really trying to avoid doing that if I could. I'll try to reload from before the cannon shot and see if that makes a difference.

ok so I found out that you need to press F3 + F3 VERY fast or it won't work. If you do it fast enough, you can pick up the key and the story continues pretty much normally from there. Until, that is, you need to draw your weapons. Turns out, you don't have any. (even if you do, you don't) not even the pistols that are "equipped" in the inventory. I have tried to equip, un-equip, re-equip etc etc etc and so far no joy. Going to the ship and getting a sword allows you to draw your weapon, but it puts itself away almost instantly. This makes it VERY hard to go any further.

I'll try to find what's wrong later.

Now I have played from start "11" and found nothing strange???
So I can't say what happened to you Singer311.

I'll try to explain what is happening. At the start of the long run to Vanes, everything appears to be normal, until you need to fight. At this point, I run into an interesting problem, at first, If I tried to draw a weapon (pistols being all that I have), nothing at all will happen. it's as if I didn't press the button at all. I "died" and reloaded several times in this mode. Then I found I was able to jump to my ship, get a sword from the ships locker, and jump back. Once equipped with the sword, I could draw the weapon, but it would only stay out for a second, then the character puts it away again. I have to be VERY fast on the "fire pistols" key to get off a shot. most of the time, I can't do it. But I am persistent and using this method I was able to get all the way to Rogers shop. I get killed by the horde of bad guys there, simply because I can't keep any weapons out long enough to do any good. I'm thinking that this goes back to the problem I had picking up the key. Is there a loop in the code that prevents the character from keeping his weapon out? and if so, could it be that the loop, instead of being ended when the key is aquired, is simply still looping, waiting for a condition to become true? I'm not a programmer, but this seems to make sense to me.

I'll try to jumpstart and see what happens, and let you know if that works.

I just tried it (I think) and I got less than normal results. First, just for the sake of clarity, Let me confirm,

jumpstart is "program/storyline/woodesrogers/startstoryline". remove comment from desired line (in this case 12). save. start new game.

Assuming this is correct, When I do that, the Woodes Rogers quest dissappears from the game. Restoring the file corrects this, but it seems that I can't jumpstart after all.

ok never mind I am idiot. I forgot that that it was a .c file and I was saving it as .txt

Yes, you got the jumpstarts ok.
Jumpstart 12 should be ok. Long run to Vane.

Maybe your fists have disappeared somehow? Key problem and later on, because at the ambush at first shore
you're not supposed to have anything else than fists + the pistolbelt.
When dealing with the key you 'get' a strange item called "my left hand". It's used for left hand actions (no gun equipped).
Maybe that one didn't show up ok? It should disappear after the key situation.

I'll check the code for loops.

Yep fists disappeared. In fact if I try to equp them I get a message that basically says "WHAT!?! No fists?!?" It's really kinda funny. Anyway, about the left hand thing. I got that during the key and it never went away. That could be the problem?

I checked the code: compass should be equipped for picking up the key.
At that moment the left hand is removed.
Fists should be there all the time...so when did they disappear? Do you have any idea?
All ok with start "12"?

Ok compass was equipped when I picked up key. After key, compass disappeared and left hand was there. no fists or pistol then. Got belt right after. Belt appears on character, and in equipment list. I can equip it but not use it. I think fists went when I picked up the compass, but not positive. Jumpstart worked ok, so not sure where it's messed up. It might be in the save.

Ok I uploaded the save that's messed up (I think) Have fun with it...:shrug

Attachments

• -=Bret=- Jamaica.7z
    549.8 KB · Views: 193
Yes it shows you've lost the fists. I still don't know why/how. I'll leave it for now.

Back