• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Captain Python's Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Python's Table has made the statistics list with 199 replies including this one, and is #6 on the list. I am guessing that soon, maybe a couple of weeks, that it will be #4. Let's Drink Boys!!!  

i dont contribute to this sticky enough...i love your comments and all and all the stuff you put here daily ( or however many times u update it lol)...i need to start lookin here more, so maybe i can be the tip of the iceberg and help this get to #4 EVEN FASTER! :cheers: xD:

Keep an eye on dates when you come in this forum - the sticky topic icons seem to lose their "new post" indication (red) once the page is refreshed.

Captain Python, I put a quote for you in KevO's Corner Table... :cheers

UPDATE FOR `4-14`-04, THE SPRING BREAK UPDATE

Hello all, So far, my Spring break has great. I got a lot of research done. I have also done many things here that might take a while to get done:

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/ftopic1301.php
A TON OF PIRATE MOVIES ON DVD!!!!
This will have a lot of action when and if the Captain Blood DVD comes up. But it will most likely that it will sink out of sight before it gets updated again, so I'll have a link to it here.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/ftopic567.php
PA! The Story
I am going to wait on this thread until summer so people have time to write up stories. So none of you and me don't have to search for it again, I have a link to it.

I thank you all for your support so far. One thing I have noticed about all of you here is that most of you have more posts than me. But now ever since we have so many people posting a lot, it doesn't matter how many posts you have, but how many good and long ones you have. Me, I have once in a while engaged in post shoot offs, and only once have I put a word into those post a word stories. I bet that if you guys took all the posts that were waisted like that, all you guys would be around what I have. It's been a great couple of months since I started this table, and hopefully it will go on for much longer. I also hope this forum will go on longer.
I have been here since the beginning, and I have seen a lot of people come and go, especially some good ones. I have sort of lost some friends on this forum, like Great Ferdinan Ram, who I haven't heard from in a long time (I think the Ram got to busy with his job). The Ram and many people I use to chat with a lot have gone, a lot of it is due to the plauge of Spammers. But now I got so many new friends here, who have joined in the past few months (you know who you are). Hopefully you guys will stay on long too.
So you know, I will be posting a topic by Friday, then you won't hear from me, due to I'll be gone from the computer for a few days. You can expect the next topic after that next Tuesday.

To Friendship, The Forum Pirates Ahoy!, and to Good times xD::

<!--`QuoteBegin-Captain_Python`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captain_Python)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->To Friendship, The Forum Pirates Ahoy!, and to Good times  xD::[/quote]

Aye, matey, I'll second that and buy a round for the house! xD: xD:

<span style='`font-size`:25pt;`line-height`:100%'>Topics for `4-18`-04</span>

Hi all. Sorry I couldn't post like I wanted to, but here are some topics for now:

1)Pirate and Naval Movie Soundtracks
Over the weekend, I bought some CDs of soundtracks to the movies Master and Commander and Pirates of the Caribbean. They were both excellent. Master and Commander has some excellent music in it, some of it is the music the captain and the doctor played, some of it is what the crew would have played, and some of it is background music. It's worth the buy. Pirates of the Caribbean music is good too. The music overall seems to link itself together with each track, and the music reflects the feel of the past pirate movies from the 1930s to 1960s. They are both good buys.

2)I Lost
Well, I lost this month. Oh well, maybe next month. Congragulations to Cat.

3)What is your favorite topic on this table?
I said when vacation ended, I would start this. Out of all the topics at the table, which one is your favorite? Nominations will run from now until friday at 4, then voting will start after 4, and end at Monday at 4. Start nominating.

4)The new table forum
It seems that there will be a new forum for the tables here. If that does happen, I want to request that I be able to start a new thread, a fresh thread. I would have this one closed, and have a link to it on the new one. I would sort of like to have a new thread. But if the forum doesn't happen, I'll continue to build on here.

5)Bringing up a old idea
I am thinking of bringing back one of my old ideas. This idea is very old, and I had much convesation on it in the past pages of the forum. Can you guess what it is? You people who joined within the past few months probably wouldn't guess. I'll reveal to you what is on Friday (if no one figures it out by then), when I open the voting. I'll give you a clue, it has my name in it.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Captain_Python`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captain_Python)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi all.  Sorry I couldn't post like I wanted to[/quote]Sorry I missed all day yesterday, came back this morning to over 350 new postings! :cheers

<!--`QuoteBegin-Captain_Python`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captain_Python)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1)Pirate and Naval Movie Soundtracks[/quote]Thanks for the review! I have wanted these soundtracks for quite some time now. I especially liked the music from M&C.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Captain_Python`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captain_Python)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->2)I Lost
Well, I lost this month.  Oh well, maybe next month.  Congragulations to Cat.  [/quote]Thanks, Captain Python! You contribute many valuable things to this forum, so I'm sure you'll get up there too, don't worry! :D I'm still a bit surprised you lunatic pirates enjoy me that much, but I guess it's mutual, :cheers so... RUM FOR ALL! :cheers

<!--`QuoteBegin-Captain_Python`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captain_Python)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->3)What is your favorite topic on this table?[/quote]Good question. I suppose anything that warrants a good discussion. So I don't really have a favorite, just more discussion... Sorry not to be more specific...

<!--`QuoteBegin-Captain_Python`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captain_Python)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->5)Bringing up a old idea[/quote] The game, yes!

<span style='`font-size`:25pt;`line-height`:100%'>Topics for `4-19`-04</span>

1)Bringing back the Game Idea
Youl all guessed right, I am bringing the game idea back into the light.
I have done a lot of research lately, and discovered why I have had so many problems. It seems that it is very difficult to do research on the 1600s, due to that the 1600s was the tail end of the Renaisance and the ship itself was evolving to it's next stage, the age of Ships of the Line (Basically, from 1650 to 1750 was when most of the ships we all think of came into use, including the Frigate, Ship of the Line, Sloop, Schooner, Sloop of War, and a few more. Basically these are the ships we think of when talking about the Napoleonic Wars. I wrote a little about this on a earlier topic).
Originally, I planned for the game to start in the 1660s, but most of the ships back then were still majorly the fat and slow ships. I think some were in between 1700 and 1725 would be good. This would also help with organizing the Naval Artillery (Note I don't say cannon due to that can also be a name for a particular Naval Artillery Gun). I will have a new thread up on the subject by Saturday. Also, if the old one could be locked, that would be good, due to that one is out of date with my ideas.

2)The Tide is turning on the "tables" forum
Now it seems that there is a good chance that there won't be a new forum for our threads. My plan now is that after this is decided, I will transfer my operations to a fresh thread, somewhere or another, and have this one locked. I would have a link on the new one to this one. I would do all this at one time, so I'll pm a moderator when I want to do this.

3)The Favorite Topic
I think I'll forget about voting for a favorite topic, due to I'm not getting much feedback. If I get some feedback in the next few days as in nominations, I'll continue it, but if not, I'll cancel it.

4)Research
I have been saying that I have been doing research. I'll be more specific on that. I have made a private collection of data on many items on the 1650s to 1750s. After collecting a lot of data on the Internet, I sort of formulate it into my own translation of words I can understand easier. So far I have done:
-Ship Types
-What Average Sailors Wore
-Edged Weapons
-Firearms Weapons

Future research I am going to do is:
-Wars in Europe
-Card Games of the 1650s to 1750s
-Territories in the Caribbean
-Naval Artillery
-Money exchange and Common Trade Items

I might redo the ship section

The last three on the future research list are going to be the hardest to do. Now, I am going to make with the new game page, a research page. The links to where I have gotten all of my information from before I ask for help on anything.

5)Overal Plan
I have discussed many things here. To make it easier, I made a outline

1. Move Captain Python's Table to a new thread
2. Start a new thread on my game idea on Friday or Saturday
3. Start a new thread on my research on Friday or Saturday
4. Put the links to both game and research threads on Captain Python's Table.
5. Pray to God I haven't confused and annoyed you all to the point of tying me to my own chair and gaging me for a while.

6)Odd Calculation
You probably know that the statistic that by 1715 to 1725 that there were 2,000 pirates sailing the sea in the Caribbean. That statistic might seem odd to many, but let me expand on it.
I am guessing that the number of pirates is a little off. I am guessing that there are probably many pirates people didn't know about. I am guessing that there are 2,000 to 3,000 pirates operating in the Caribbean (both land and sea) during that time.
We also must remember that most pirates were poor and the most common ship pirates sailed were small Sloops, Schooners, Cutters, and other small ships like that. There were probably only 3 to 4 big pirate ships with crews of 150 to 200. Also, beggining pirates that were poor would start in boats, and probably crews of pirates in boats made up probably 1/3 of all pirates. Usualy a crew was around 50 men each. So lets do some math:

With the common statistic of 2,000 pirates. 2,000 divided by 50 is 40. Let's take 9 groups of 50 and have that represent the 3 big pirate ship crews of 150. We are left with 31 groups of 50. Lets take one third of the 40 groups of 50, and we get a odd number we will round to 13. We are left now with 18 groups of 50. Each of those small groups would have their own small ship. Here is what was sailing the Caribbean according to the 2,000 pirates statistic:
3 Big Pirate Ships
18 Small Pirate Ships
13 groups of pirates in boats

Now lets try and do what we just did with a number of 3,000 pirates, and 4 big pirate ships with crews of 150 for that statistic:
4 Big Pirate Ships
28 Small Pirate Ships
20 groups of pirates in boats

So with those calculations, I think a better view on how many pirates were in the Caribbean from 1715 to 1725 would be:
`3-4` Big Pirate Ships with crews of 150
18 to 28 Small Pirate Ships with crews of 50
13 to 20 groups of 50 pirates in boats

So when you see that statistic of 2,000 pirates from 1715 to 1725, remember what that really means, with the statistics above.

:onya Wow... That's great, Captain Python, I never thought to look at it like that before. Very interesting!

You've got the fine makings of what could be an excellent book - game - or even the outline of a business plan! :cheers

Very cool... :yes xD:

5. Pray to God I haven't confused and annoyed you all to the point of tying me to my own chair and gaging me for a while.

TO LATE!! :onya

wow, now that was truly interesting. you know though, i learned from a few documentaries, that pirate crew was VERY different from the royal navy and all, by order of number. a pirate ships crew was usually about double of what the ship could normally handle. so in that case, they had more men to destroy ships bigger than them, which MORE THAN LIKELY ships were gonna be much bigger...also, then you have a quicker ship when it comes to heaving the sails, pulling all the ropes and all...it was just common sense of why they had such a bulging crew. the bad thing about this was, the fact that food was almost ALWAYS out, same with rum, wine, all of the above. only the captain and the first mate seemed to be able to do fine, though even THEY couldnt have the best food in the world, due to rotting, stale beer...you name it.

JUST SOME GOOD DANDY INFO FOR YE'S TO HELP YE OUT ON THE GAME, OR STORY, OR WHATEVER, OL CAPT PYTHON! :onya

The last topic was discussing two projects, the game and research, no books or businesses. On Friday you will see what I am doing. There is going to be some things you all can do for this :shock:. Believe me, it will be very educational and fun to do.

My comment about a book or business plan was meant merely to compliment you on your thought processes, Captain Python! You are a `well-organized` "Pirate of Many Ideas"! :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back