• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Caravel 'Notorious' In Port Douglas!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I don't general post stories on Disney's Pirates of The Caribbean films, there are many reasons for this, but I won't bore you with them here. Anyway, Disney recently announced that the next film in the franchise, Dead Men Tell No Tales, will be filmed in Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia. If you happen to be in the area, they are also planning on holding an open casting call for extras for filming that starts in February 2015. I have heard rumors that the “supernatural” elements of this film will be greatly toned down, though that probably still is not enough to get me interested in it. Normally, I would just pass this story by and leave it for someone else to post if they so desired, but there was another part of this story that happened to catch my eye.

The replica 15'th century caravel Notorious sailed in to Port Douglas on Wednesday afternoon, coinciding quite nicely with the announcement from Disney, and she will be anchored at the marine fuel depot in Dickson Inlet on Saturday giving public tours.

Felicte said the hype surrounding the announcement of Port Douglas as a filming location for the next Pirates of the Caribbean film was a happy coincidence with Notorious's arrival in Douglas.

"Our ship is often called The Black Pearl and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies have definitely had an impact on how people see us," she said.

"We don't mind it at all - people are either very intrigued or very scared by the ship and we're happy to show it off, it's the best part of the job."

Caravels were a revolutionary ship design in the 1500's, enabling European explorers to circumnavigate the world.

Graeme was inspired to recreate a caravel by the mysterious Mahogany ship, an ancient wreck first discovered by Europeans in 1836 near Warrnambool in Victoria.

This wreck was last seen in 1886, and it is thought to have been one of three caravels that voyaged down the East Coast of Australia in 1522.

Interested parties have searched for the wreck for 100 years without success.

You can read the full story and see a couple of more pictures HERE!

640px-Notorious_from_bow.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Notorious_from_bow.jpg
640px-Notorious_looking_aft.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Notorious_looking_aft.jpg

Attachments

• pa-logo_2.png
    pa-logo_2.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 20
So a caravel from 1522 is the inspiration for this ship! Good job mate! :cheers

It always amazes me what the early explorers accomplished with tiny ships like these, which is one reason I prefer the early time periods to the late periods.

Historical accuracy in PotC 5? I think not! But then.... that went out of the window aaaages ago. :razz

Historical accuracy went out the window in the curse of the black pearl, still enjoyed the films though :D one thing that does puzzle me is why paint it all black ? i mean for a start wouldn't it get rely rely hot in the sun ?

In the article it is stated that the ship is coated with period correct stuff which is why it is black.

Historical accuracy went out the window in the curse of the black pearl, still enjoyed the films though :D one thing that does puzzle me is why paint it all black ? i mean for a start wouldn't it get rely rely hot in the sun ?
They only sail at night!
Also, she might not have been blackened on purpose. I figured that was because Cutler Beckett burned the Wicked Wench.

It always amazes me what the early explorers accomplished with tiny ships like these, which is one reason I prefer the early time periods to the late periods.

I agree mate, it is amazing what these small ships, and the courage of the men who sailed them, were able to accomplish!

one thing that does puzzle me is why paint it all black ? i mean for a start wouldn't it get rely rely hot in the sun ?

The coating was a mixture of pitch and tar, it helped slow the progression of ship worms, barnacles, other marine growth, and the effects of salt water, all of which had some rather not very pleasant effects on wood. It was also fairly toxic.

Back