• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Cartagena: Blacksmith Locator and Female Citizen Greetings

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
The locator for the blacksmith's door is out in the street, not next to the door. I couldn't find the blacksmith's shop by searching doors; I had to ask directions, fast travel there, and thereafter always fast travel. (It is possible to enter the door manually if you search around the street nearby until the blacksmith icon appears.)

There is now "Cartagena Hotel". I don't know what function this was supposed to serve, but currently it is occupied by two women, Mary Seacole and Abequa. At least, I think they're women. If you talk to them, they sound like men. This is because, in their definitions in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\Colombia.c", they're both set to use greeting file "Gr_isla muelle citizen". The real problem is that there are no Spanish female voice files, leaving female residents of Spanish towns with a dilemma - use a file from another nation or sound like a man.

The locator for the blacksmith's door is out in the street, not next to the door. I couldn't find the blacksmith's shop by searching doors; I had to ask directions, fast travel there, and thereafter always fast travel. (It is possible to enter the door manually if you search around the street nearby until the blacksmith icon appears.)
I seem to remember some weirdness with that.
Think it was because you couldn't seem to get up to the pavement.
We could move the locator and, if necessary, increase its radius.

There is now "Cartagena Hotel". I don't know what function this was supposed to serve
Something related to @Levis' unfinished Apothecary sidequest.

currently it is occupied by two women, Mary Seacole and Abequa. At least, I think they're women. If you talk to them, they sound like men. This is because, in their definitions in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\Colombia.c", they're both set to use greeting file "Gr_isla muelle citizen". The real problem is that there are no Spanish female voice files, leaving female residents of Spanish towns with a dilemma - use a file from another nation or sound like a man.
Are there Portuguese female voices? Those would probaby be OK, no?
What do other Spanish ladies get?

I don't think there are any Portuguese female voices either. As for other Spanish ladies:

Sylvie Bondies (woman in San Juan, you're supposed to deliver Sabine Matton to her) uses "Fre_f_a_003.wav". So do all the female residents of Havana and Santiago, who use "Gr_Sylvie Bondies", so if Sylvie Bondies ever gets a proper Spanish voice then they will get it as well. (Narcisa Montse, in Havana, uses @Jack Rackham's "Caroline_K" model, so perhaps she could use one of Caroline_K's sound effects as well. That's for him to decide. :D)

Estrella de Alencar (wife of San Juan governor, star of the "Help the Lady" side quest) has her own voice file, possibly the only Spanish-sounding female voice, but she says "Oh! But if he should see us!", which may not be appropriate for general citizens. ;) Other female residents of San Juan use "Gr_Woman_English citizen". So do the female residents of Portuguese Sao Jorge, which at least means they're accurate in later periods when it becomes British Saint George.

Then I'd just suggest setting them to "Gr_Woman_English citizen". May not be nation-appropriate, but at least not wrong.

I'm half inclined to use Estrella's greeting for Abequa. She's an Indian woman who is hiding round the corner and up the stairs. I've no idea what she's doing there but it could be fun finding out. ;)

Done. :doff

That's the easy, and less important problem fixed. Someone else can sort out the blacksmith's door...

Attachments

• Colombia.c
    40 KB · Views: 190
I've checked and it isn't a mistake. At least, in that time, it was impossible to walk on some pavements/sidewalks.
I 've got an old POTC version, can anybody tell me if @danitim1 has released in the last months a new walking path fixing those problems.

I have a vague memory that indeed he did, but I'm not sure anymore and can't seem to find reference to it on the forum.

At the moment I don't have access to my game files. @Jack Rackham or @Grey Roger, any chance you could upload the Cartagena walk patch files?
Or at least confirm if you can indeed walk up onto the pavement in the latest releases?

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: I confirmed that indeed "cartTown_pd.ptc" was updated in February this year, so that must be @danitim's update.
Attached archive contains that file and the most recent locator GMs. Extract to RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\Town_Cartagena\town .

Attachments

• cartTown_patch.zip
    49.2 KB · Views: 164

Attachments

• CartagenaBlacksmithLocator.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 178
As a bonus fix, execute this through console:
Code:
   locations[FindLocation("FdF_blacksmith")].type = "shop"; // PB: was "store"
   locations[FindLocation("IM_blacksmith")].type = "shop"; // PB: was "store"
   locations[FindLocation("Douw_blacksmith")].type = "shop"; // PB: was "store"
   locations[FindLocation("Havana_blacksmith")].type = "shop"; // PB: was "store"
   locations[FindLocation("Cartagena_blacksmith")].type = "shop"; // PB: was "store"
That changes the icon you see while standing in front of the door for that Blacksmith and a whole bunch of others that were similarly wrong.

Back