• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Challenging to Steal from Item Traders and Town Guards

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
mug a street merchant when you need cash and gears...minimal hit on reputation...
Does the "Merchant Guild" still intervene when you do that? They should!
While we cannot prevent the player from doing that (other than setting godmode on for all merchants), it isn't supposed to be easy! :shock

Last edited:
There's a leeway... The doors are not locked, so you can easily avoid combat by running away. Please lock the doors until battle is cleared. (easy fix?)

Not sure if or how that is possible, but that would indeed make the most sense.
Could you post a Feature Request for that one?

Absolutely agreed! It would be good to lock the location so that you are FORCED to fight the Merchant's Guild who come in to protect their merchants.

The last time I mugged a street vendor was in Build 13, when the Merchants' Guild did indeed jump on you if they caught you. I was in Conceicao at the time, someone had just said "French quality and service are yours", my answer being "And a cobblestone in the face is yours". (This was in the port area of Conceicao so there were was only one possible source for that statement, and I was definitely playing hostile to France at the time. xD) The vendor fell over, I'd lobbed it from far enough away that I wasn't a suspect, so the Guild didn't intervene. I went over and helped the poor man to his feet with an elixir, but not before I'd been nice enough to remove any loose clothing, jewellery, weapons etc. which might have been weighing him down. The really funny thing was that he never fully recovered - he didn't return to his stall but walked around the port area, and was still wandering around after I'd been away and then returned to Conceicao.

I haven't tried it in Build 14. But now you've reminded me, I'll have to load up on cobblestones and find someone suitable...

It might not be a good idea to lock doors during combat. There are other people who may attack you, and low level characters who can't run away and don't yet have decent Melee skill and good weapons are liable to die. The real trick is getting to such a door when a dozen Guild members are homing in on you from different directions.

maybe a quick fix is to have one squad from each door so to make it difficult to run away alive easily.

That is one helluva story! :rofl

I'm surprised the Guild did NOT actually bother to attack YOU. As far as I understand it, they should.

It might not be a good idea to lock doors during combat. There are other people who may attack you, and low level characters who can't run away and don't yet have decent Melee skill and good weapons are liable to die. The real trick is getting to such a door when a dozen Guild members are homing in on you from different directions.
Well, that's the price of mugging a street vendor. The advantage in doing it is too large, so the risk should be substantial as well.
If you can't surive the risk, then don't do it!

Alternatively, we could also set godmode on for all vendors. But that's a boring solution.

The really funny thing was that he never fully recovered - he didn't return to his stall but walked around the port area, and was still wandering around after I'd been away and then returned to Conceicao.
Ah, probably because restoring him sets him to the default "walking around" type instead of his previous type.
That could very well still be happening. I wonder if we should bother fixing that....
Either way, I suppose a Bug Tracker entry for "mugging merchants" would be in order. :yes

maybe a quick fix is to have one squad from each door so to make it difficult to run away alive easily.
The difficult part there would be figuring out which doors there are in any location.
Right now, it just calls the generic "Ambush" function.

the mugged merchant returning to store location would be nice. In fact, the wandering mugged merchant got level increase after i mugged him... so that could be a compensation for him, and his cash and goods restore slowly.

Not 100% agreed. If you use the "thiefs knife" to rob a merchant, there should be a skill involved and you should have a chance to either get caught or not. The higher you skill at steeling is, the more likely you should get away with it. But yes, if they catch you, the fight should be forced.

Isn't it already like that? The Thief's Knife can either alert people or not.

Really? Than I am unlucky... Tried the thief's knife a few times and always got caught. But I do not need to steel from people anyways, I go treasure hunting and do merchant quests for money, so I can buy what I want.

I'm pretty sure there is a luck-based chance in there, but I can't quite remember.
That code is probably in PROGRAM\Loc_ai\LAi_events.c ; find the Thief's Knife in PROGRAM\ITEMS\initItems.c to find the attribute name to search for.

I will see if I can make a function soon which just locks all doors in a location and one to unlock them again (the ones who where unlocked in the first place). Someone else can then implement it's called at the right moments, does that sounds like an idea?

Is there not already such a function? I think there is something to just disable all reloads in a location.

Robbing the merchants does not seem worth the bother. I went to Sao Jorge and used the poisoned throwing knife on the only one there. Got a minus rep and $56,000 but no loot.

Then went to Bridgetown where there are 4 merchants in a row. Used the stinkpot this time. I could not find 3 of them to loot at all and I only got $10 from the one I could loot. No goods at all.

Merchants get their goods the first time you talk to them. So if you loot them BEFORE talking to them, they'll have nothing.
AFTER talking to them it is quite a different story, though.... :wp

I will see if I can make a function soon which just locks all doors in a location and one to unlock them again (the ones who where unlocked in the first place). Someone else can then implement it's called at the right moments, does that sounds like an idea?
I'm pretty sure there should be something, but I can't seem to find it.
What I did find is DisableFastTravel but that isn't it.

Perhaps we can find where reloads are activated and add a player attribute that just prevents it altogether.
Turns all icons into "Locks" and disables Fast Travel too.

Looks like there are three different times when the merchant guild intervenes here:

1. If you attempt to steal from an item trader, 4 navy officers attack (actually, since the model used no longer exists, it is 4 Nathaniel Hawks :facepalm )
2. If you kill an item merchant with your blade, you are attacked with all guards that can be spared and you turn into the most evil character in the game
3. If you kill an item merchant with your gun, 4 guards attack

So obviously there is a large discrepancy in how seriously they take it all.

Also, the following two commands can be used to lock you in a location and to allow you to resume playing like normal again:
StartQuestMovie(true, false, false);
EndQuestMovie();

Back