• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Changing Behaviour for Divide the Plunder Mode

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
rAs originally discussed in Planned Feature - Encourage Play for Evil Characters | PiratesAhoy! by @Grey Roger and myself,
we thought of various changes to be made to the game's Divide the Plunder mode:

Quatermaster Officer Dialog:
1. Dialog to be added to "Enc_officer.c" for Quartmasters only
2. This dialog to be shown only when in a PORT (similar to the "in port" check from "Cabinfight_dialog.c")
3. Divide the Plunder to be available through that dialog option
4. Change related interface texts/questbook entries to indicate the Quartermaster's new role in this
5. OPTIONAL: Have the Commerce skill of the Quartermaster influence the process, so that getting a good quartermaster helps

Loansharks:
1. Divide the Plunder functionality to be removed
2. TradeCheck functionality to be added so they won't give loans to people they don't trust

Up for Debate:
- Should "Divide the Plunder" be enforced for Pirates AND Privateers (current situation) or Pirates only?

Would these be considered improvements? Did I miss anything that also needs to included in the above?
And do you have any other comments to be made on this? All feedback would be welcome!

At the moment I envision implementing this after Beta 4 has been released,
so there is still time to think this through before any actual work is done on it by me.
Unless somebody else would like to do this sooner.... :wp

Well I think what we have works fine. The one thing that is essential to retain is the function for privateers as well as pirate. I am agnostic on whether you do it through the quartermaster or the loan shark. I guess the QM is a little more realistic.

The one thing that is essential to retain is the function for privateers as well as pirate.
It will definitely remain an option for Pirates AND Privateers.
I was mainly wondering about the "if you have too much money, the crew starts to complain" enforcing.
That may be skipped for Privateers (not pirates!). But I'm not sure if that should be done.

I am agnostic on whether you do it through the quartermaster or the loan shark. I guess the QM is a little more realistic.
The practical reason is that by making this change, we can prevent the Loanshark from handing out loans to people he doesn't trust.
Plus the extra bonus is that you aren't limited to just towns that happen to have a Loanshark, because quite a fair few don't.

Back