• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Changing ship by demotion for professional navy

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
Tricky parts for a navy demotion might be to call GivePromotionReward afterwards to ensure you get the lower rank's ship again.
That is easy with the player ship, but might get complicated with taking away promotion officers/ships.
At the moment it doesn't do any of that, which means that if you're demoted, you keep what you already had.
Which ALSO means that when you are promoted, you get the rewards a SECOND time.

Not a problem for now because you CAN'T be demoted and promoted again in the current version of the game.
But something to keep in mind for future development...

Simplest solution is to put a check in place to prevent you getting the sale reward twice.
Would be nicer if the rewards were taken away on demotion, but that might prove rather tricky to accomplish.

So should we take away the rewards? I think we could do without taking them away...
Just having you demoted so it will take longer before you get a promotion again should be enough. So than we should just add a attribute somewhere which saves if you had the promotion already. if you had you wont get it again.

So should we take away the rewards? I think we could do without taking them away...
Just having you demoted so it will take longer before you get a promotion again should be enough. So than we should just add a attribute somewhere which saves if you had the promotion already. if you had you wont get it again.
If people are OK with that, it is fine by me. That is the simplest solution by far.
Taking away the rewards would technically be better, but I fear that would be opening a can of worms as far as coding complexity is concerned.

Apart from the problems with promotion officers and extra ships (which vary depending on nation, period and some named characters), don't forget that flag officers can switch ships to suit themselves. So just before you report to the governor for demotion you buy yourself a tartane and swap ships so you're commanding that and one of your officers has your battleship. Then the governor punishes you by replacing your ship with a "lesser" frigate, and you laugh in his face. :p

Perhaps reduce rank, reduce relation to the minimum for that rank so you take a long time to regain your former rank, and drop your reputation and the crew morale. You're in disgrace, and the crew aren't happy that their captain is a crook or an idiot (depending on why you were demoted). Raising your reputation and crew morale shouldn't take long but it does ram home the point that you've messed up and, at least for a while, nobody likes you very much.

Apart from the problems with promotion officers and extra ships (which vary depending on nation, period and some named characters), don't forget that flag officers can switch ships to suit themselves. So just before you report to the governor for demotion you buy yourself a tartane and swap ships so you're commanding that and one of your officers has your battleship. Then the governor punishes you by replacing your ship with a "lesser" frigate, and you laugh in his face. :p
Simplest solution would probably be to store the ship you were commanding prior to losing her, then give that specific type of ship back to you.
You won't get something better, but not something worse either. That ties in with our other discussion of demotions NOT taking away your promotion rewards for simplicity's sake.

Perhaps reduce rank, reduce relation to the minimum for that rank so you take a long time to regain your former rank, and drop your reputation and the crew morale. You're in disgrace, and the crew aren't happy that their captain is a crook or an idiot (depending on why you were demoted). Raising your reputation and crew morale shouldn't take long but it does ram home the point that you've messed up and, at least for a while, nobody likes you very much.
If you call SetRank with a value lower than your current rank, you already get set back in relation points to the minimum number for that rank. So that part is at least already operational.
The reputation and morale things could be added, though. We'll probably need a "Demote" function similar to "Promote" that incorporates all those items.

I think a demote function would be good yes.
I like the morale drop idea. Besides a drop in morale and relation points I don't think we need much more to do. I think we should just keep the ships cause it would cause to many exploids.

I think a demote function would be good yes.
I like the morale drop idea. Besides a drop in morale and relation points I don't think we need much more to do. I think we should just keep the ships cause it would cause to many exploids.
Exploits AND super-extra-complicated-coding. Better avoid that.... :wp

How important do we consider this? Do we need to address this prior to Beta 4?

Back