• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Character importing

Galleon Love

Powder Monkey
Hello, I have been attempting character modding. I have actually become a decent hand at importing character models using the tips I have learned from reading topics on this site. Everything works grand. I just ran into my first problem and now have a question for someone who might know something about character modeling and importing. Please no fluff answers by people who don't know the answer.

Is there a portion of the character model that is tied to dialogue or talking with NPCs?

Do some model's animation files cause long transitions or crashing if they are not correct or native for the game?

The reason I ask is that I found a model that I've tried to import into GOF that works fine when you run around or fight. When you try to talk with another NPC character the game crashes. When you go in and out of shop locations, the game sometimes crashes. I've successfully imported a half dozen characters and this is the first one to give me this issue. I am certain the animation file is correct for the character. The origin of the character is from Pirates Odyssey.

Thank you for any possible constructive insights.

I am admittedly not familiar with the CoAS character models, though I know they're somewhat different from PotC.

Do all your models have a similar skeleton so the animations can be applied properly?

I do remember we had some AoP characters in PotC that caused very odd issues.
We never did figure out why that happened and just skipped those altogether.

Do you have error logging enabled? Possibly the game writes something related to the system.log or compile.log?

Do all your models have a similar skeleton so the animations can be applied properly?

Do you have error logging enabled? Possibly the game writes something related to the system.log or compile.log?

Thank you for the reply.

Some of the GOF mods have tons of POTC character models, especially ERAs. So I don't think there are any differences in the skeletons and animation files. I have learned from trial and error that some of the files in POTC are named differently like "man2_ab" which is specific only to POTC. Pirates Odyssey does have some unique new animation files so I thought the problem might be that the animation dll might have additional attributes that the other games don't and that is why some things don't work. I did get an answer about the problem from another source and I think I have everything almost fixed now as a result of that advice.

Good idea on the error logging. I will do that from now on.

Thanks again. You can close this as answered if you like.

Last edited:
Back