• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Characters sustain damage after a fight and better HP balancing

HellSailor

Privateer
Storm Modder
Sometimes I think the game is not so realistic on land because when you get into a sword fight, sometimes you lose almost all of your health and you're still alive after killing enemies.

So what I thought was if we could create a function on the game that makes the characters bleed and lose health when they get very hurt. For example, if you have 150 HP and you health goes down to 50, or you have received too many hits, then your character loses health with the time, just like being poisoned. If you don't use any medical item, you will die. Using a bandage roll would save you from some normal injuries.

But of course, a normal hit is not the same as a critical hit. A critical hit would make you bleed faster and it would a 100% bleeding effect. For that, a simple bandage roll could not save you from that injury. you would need at least two of them or a cauterization kit in order to stop bleeding.

And of course, guns can make you easily bleed. Imagine in the XVIII century that a man take a hit from the musket of a soldier. If the bullet didn't killed him in that moment, then later the terrible infections would kill him unless he extract the bullet of his body and clean that injury. So does the same here.

I hope you take into consideration this, because this would make the game more realistic and make more challenging ;)

Is this to be a different type of poison? That you can get at any time, not just from monkeys and special weapons?

Is this to be a different type of poison? That you can get at any time, not just from monkeys and special weapons?
More or less, but making it real and not just by monkeys or special weapons like the Borgiablade. Just think about how the injuries would be on those times.

That's what I meant.

How about continuous HP dropping until you sleep in a tavern, visit the apothecary or go to sea?
Might be quite annoying, though....

That's what I meant.

How about continuous HP dropping until you sleep in a tavern, visit the apothecary or go to sea?
Might be quite annoying, though....
Don't know... I think about the injuries, the other things you mention I don't see it well... don't fit into the game style...

If not, then your idea of injuries becomes basically a secondary poison with all health items working against it.
Or something like that anyway....

I was thinking more in this line:
Getting hit above a certain damage value (X% of total health) will cause a 'permanent damage. and this will damage your max hp. So you can use potions but not to heal complete untill you slept at the tavern, or you got a doctor whith you who can heal it.

Remember that starting characters may not have many, if any, bandages, and likely won't have any cauterisation kits. Until you have them, this would effectively mean auto-death for low level characters.

Cauterisation kits aren't realistic anyway. They're not something you'd use in the field, especially if it's raining. They're something your surgeon would use on you if you make it back to the ship. Anyone who pauses in the middle of a sword-fight to heat up a pan and fry themselves will soon receive some more wounds to cauterise because he's not now defending himself...

It's basically the problem with all role-playing games, and not just the electronic version. You're fine down to your last hit-point, then you keel over when you lose that. Anyone who's played Dungeons and Dragons, for example, will be very familiar with this. ;)

In reality, getting hit hard enough won't just deprive you of HP. There's a reason some of the pirate characters are walking around with wooden legs and eye patches!

Very true!

The Bandages and Cauterization Kits were added to replace the potions from the original game.
While they still do the exact same thing, at least they seem a *bit* more realistic.

Can someone explain me how I can tweak the HP of enemies based by their level? It seems like the setting in internalsettings.h for the baselevel multiplier has 0 effect..

The CHAR_HITPOINTS_PER_LEVEL is the only thing that springs to mind.
If that doesn't work, we may have to figure out why and fix that.

Well the thing is.. that applies to the player, too.. and this is what always bugged me: The enemies are always as strong as me.. so no sense in leveling up.. in other rpg games, when you hit like e.g. lvl 25 you really feel that you are better now.. that's not the case in PotC imo..

I noticed also that this enemy level multiplier apparently only applies to certain foes, like enemy captains. Raiders in the jungle somehow get their HP somewhere else, because it is always quite the same as my..

What I would like is to generate random character HP semi-randomly instead of having it tied to character level, which generally depends on player level.
That would mean that in the early game, everybody is stronger than you and in the later game this is the other way around.
This could massively mess up the balancing in both scenarios, unless the difference between minimum and maximum HP is reduced substantially.

Well I'd like to have it the way like in TES:Oblivion - there, on the first 20 levels, enemies are leveling kinda with you (it gets slightly easier after like 10 levels) and then, from level 25 on, you really feel that you are stronger than the average enemy now.. and IMO this is a better system as that what we have now^^

Would the game not become boring near the end if you become too much stronger than your opponents?

I like how it is with random ship encounters now: You can meet large ships, small ships and basically anything throughout the game.
Your level is not taken into account at all, which adds a sense of realism that otherwise would not be there.

Well.. in Oblivion it is fun to smash everything at the end :D

True, the random encounters are making the game fun.. hmm but if we can manage this for land ecnounters too, we should define a max HP for enemies, because on sea encounters, you can run away.. with land encounters this is sometimes not possible

True, the random encounters are making the game fun.. hmm but if we can manage this for land ecnounters too, we should define a max HP for enemies, because on sea encounters, you can run away.. with land encounters this is sometimes not possible
That is why I was thinking of vastly reducing the HP scale range. So for example 1 HP per level for ALL characters instead of 10 HP.
And THEN randomize the levels for all characters so that you may encounter characters of 40 HP and some of 80 HP, but hardly even any 100 for example.

That is why I was thinking of vastly reducing the HP scale range. So for example 1 HP per level for ALL characters instead of 10 HP.
And THEN randomize the levels for all characters so that you may encounter characters of 40 HP and some of 80 HP, but hardly even any 100 for example.

I tried that but at some point, you have not enough HP to survive more than 2 hits.. a bit frustrating, especially against many foes.. AND sometimes the enemies are piercing my blocks and giving me like 130 HP damage :O .. so I'd also say we should reduce the damage you get when your block is pierced.. I already found something in Lai_fightparams.c .. but I didn't get it :D

Indeed doing something like this would REALLY mess up the balancing of all the fights. We'd have to redo the stats of all the weapons to match.

And the length of the fights would be sort-of equal throughout the game. Either it is ALWAYS 2 hit duels or it is ALWAYS really long-winded fights.
Of course your own skills would provide some progression here.

But then you get back to the early game being potentially quite hard.
The lesson then would be to "pick your fights" also on land. Which means that we must give the player the chance to run from fights if need be.
But then... how would you even know how strong your opponents are until you are IN the fight and it is too late to run?

And there are still the "minlevel" effects for item appearance. Though ideally we should do away with that too since it makes no logical sense.

This all gets real complicated real quick. o_O

Well.. as I said.. if we do something with the block and pierce and the critical hit.. I could try a bit to vary the HP per level a bit.. but for now it is impossible to reduce it because sometimes I block (with my tweaked 190% block English Officer Saber!!!) and one of the raiders pierces my block and gives me 150 HP damage -.-

Back