• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Characters sustain damage after a fight and better HP balancing

Well.. as I said.. if we do something with the block and pierce and the critical hit.. I could try a bit to vary the HP per level a bit.. but for now it is impossible to reduce it because sometimes I block (with my tweaked 190% block English Officer Saber!!!) and one of the raiders pierces my block and gives me 150 HP damage -.-
I have set up another project for this as the previous discussion was getting cluttered with two subjects at the same time.

But I don't want to start working on it for now, since there are too many other things first to take care of.

Mergens two threads together cause I feel they are about the same subject

Yeah, I suppose they pretty much are. They all relate to HP and rebalancing the land fights to be more realistic. :yes

Bleeding effects on weapons could be nice. Would probably be easier to make it a separate script from adding it to all the weapons? Weapon damage type gives a bleeding bonus, while the amount of damage it inflicts effects the bleeding. Of course, if you add in bleeding, you'll need ways to deal with it. Most importantly, when you aren't moving and are outside of combat, the bleeding should slow right down like in reality.

Either way though, it would be quite a project to make PotC's combat feel realistic, so unless you want to do a major overhaul it mightn't be something that'll work out. Adding in realistic systems to an unrealistic system can result in things not meshing right.

Very true; it isn't all that realistic to begin with.

The main thing that I would like to see is to level out the difference between high and low rank characters.
It just doesn't make that much sense to scale the game world along with the player. :facepalm

Yeah, I hate it when enemies level up with you. It makes everything feel... pointless. Turned me right off of Dragon Age Origins and FFVIII.

One way to do that is to have a more realistic mix of crew at various skill levels on board a ship. Some crew tend to have higher levels, but all crews tend to have some low level examples This way, the player will also get some high level crew members at random, just by recruiting at the right ports. So, even if you aren't strong enough to take on the best of the enemy crew, you can attack the weaker ones, and the stronger members of your crew who survive through multiple skirmishes will become able to take on progressively stronger crews (who went through the same process or had high hiring standards).

Since PotC treats crew as "just a number", that wouldn't be the main concern.

However, it does affect random enemies encountered ashore, as well as the skills of opponent captains at sea.
Thankfully at least the ship sizes encountered are completely independent of the player.

Not sure exactly how it works, but randomizing the level of spawned crew based off one or two factors seems the cleanest solution at first blush.

when talking crew on a ship I think it should be based on the fact if the ship is pirate/navy or merchant.
A merchant will not have an experienced crew for battling and should never really level with you. Pirates should be experienced and should have a higher level then merchants. The level of those two should also be depended on the rank of the ship. The higher tier the ship is the better the crew. This should be independed of the player level I think.
The navy should scale with your reputation and level I think. If your rep gets worse or better the crew of a navy should become tougher because you are more known. Also I think navy should scale a bit with you, but always be a bit higher then you are with a certain ceiling,

I agree with Levis here, it's always quite odd to see a merchant sailor crew slaughtering my bloody pirates like swines :D And also - if we believe wikipedia here - most of the pirates actually were quite good with swords, they actually tried with a fast ship to board the enemy ship from the stern arc, so the ship couldn't defend itself well. And then the pirates had an advantage because of their way better fighting skills^^ So we'd improve realism here

There are already scalars in place to give merchants comparatively less number of crew than navy ships.
That translates into how tough their boarders are too.

There is already the "fame" level to determine how well-known you are.
Might I suggest using that rather than the reputation?

Using Fame is also fine with me. But why do we have both fame and reputation again?

I've got no clue. The original game always had reputation (that served very little purpose).
Fame is a mod-added feature that "keeps score" of how well you are doing.

going a bit offtopic here then but wouldn't it be a good idea to scrap the whole reputation then and change that to fame all together?

Then you do lose the bad guy/good guy scale.

Perhaps fame should be scaled based on your reputation, though. So with the same scenario, at neutral reputation you would have substantially less fame than with Terror/Hero.

Personally, I prefer relation levels with various factions over a binary good/evil metre. However, tht's not to say it needs to change for PotC, as you've no doubt structured things well around that system.

You do have separate relations with all the nations. So you could be a Hero and still hated by France.
But because you are a Hero, French traders will still be happy to business with you even if their ships hate your guts.

I have set up another project for this as the previous discussion was getting cluttered with two subjects at the same time.

But I don't want to start working on it for now, since there are too many other things first to take care of.

Yea it's best to get rid of the important issues first before adjusting the "luxury" issues :p
There are many different ways of adjusting the health system, but whenever it's time for that discussion plz let me know!

I just thought about something new for doctors on your ship. Why not make them have some special and new abilities that work to the crew? I have a lot of ideas, if you are interested to know... Just want to make a brainstorming :p

Back