• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Cinematic Trailers

Maybe I should report this in the tracker, then? As whenever i try going to deck on certain ships, I have a very definite CTD upon loading the top deck. Captain's cabin, gun deck etc they all work...it's just that one it and seems to happen only on larger ships ie Endeavour.

EDIT: Going from ship to port as opposed to mooring and going to deck saves it from happening. All I've manually modified in internalsettings.h is free cam and cheat mode for the purposes of doing this video, so I can't imagine what I must've touched to cause this :shrugI'll put some logs up when/if it happens again...my log does always say I'm experiencing missing textures/bad rope info, but I'm guessing that's fairly normal?

On the plus side, the trailer's coming along nicely...!

Last edited:
Ahh, IRRC things have to go in a certain order or crashes can happen. I always go on deck as the last thing I do before leaving port.

I'll bear that in mind! The only thing is, I've been playing exactly as I was in Beta 3.3 and the whole of Build 13...and it never happened then. But I'll just have to be more careful from now then! :D

I would get it very rarely, but with Beta 4 it's literally every time :/

I'm about ready to start testing Bandicam. So far it seems it can get knocked off kilter easily. Anyway, what is the best recording format? AVI or MP4?

That's a shame, does it not like certain applications? If they're the only options, AVI I'd say, as it's raw data...MP4 is compression so that'd probably slow you down and it's also got a smaller bit space.

Oh ok, i'll change it then. I recorded a short scene in MP4 and then converted it to MOV in Format Factory just fine.

I was overclocking the video card and went too far and got a black screen. I had to hit the reset button to restart the puter and that messed up Bandicam's ability to limit frame rates. Some tinkering and another restart got it working again. Other than that it seems ok.

I use Mirillis Action! if you are still looking at a decent one to record with.

Yeah I'e been using Format Factory for AVI to MOV loads since installing it (thanks again for that...) and it does just fine, even supports multiple threads which was a welcome addition! Four at once sure beats one at once...

I havn't tried it yet but I'm going to be sure to as I've found out that FRAPS seems to keep cutting me off after 30 seconds...it's seamlessly doing it but it's odd, as I have a valid license...:unsure

Mirilli's Action? Will look into it. Does it limit fps too?

You should see how it flies with 8 cores. Doing multiple videos at once it is the hard drive that is the bottleneck. Gotta get an SSD some day.

Do you have Fraps set to break it into 4 gb chunks?

I'll bet it does fly! Though that is true, my SSD lets me convert 4 at once and run games on top of it. I also have almost no frame drop when recording which is also pretty sweet, especially with Fraps that has tended to run pretty heavy for me in the past.

I'm sure you're already clued up on this and don't need my advice, but I would recommend the 1TB Pro version over the EVO or a smaller capacity if you want to make it a long-term investment...I believe the 750GB and 1TB versions have the most wear levelling counts (150; a third more than the others) and can Read at an extra 100mb/s over the 550mb/s EVO version (which I tested myself using the Blackmagic speed checker and an older EVO 120GB, and can confirm it makes some noticeable difference)...I think the write speed isn't far off that either.

Nope, the largest so far has been 1.5, though all my 30-second ones vary wildly between that and 400meg, I'm guessing because some scenes have more colour info than others (ie fog won't use much memory, whereas a sunny town location will etc etc) It doesn't matter as I'm converting it all to MOV anyway, but it does feel like there's a limit being applied somewhere in the pipeline :confused:

Last edited:
I can't tell if mirillis action has an fps limiter, but as near as I can see it does not. So it is not an improvement. Bandicam starts pretty wobbly but then settles down and starts working ok. Sometimes it doesn't limit the frame rate and sometimes it doesn't show the fps at the start but after some time it does start working.

Actually I know pretty much nothing about SSDs. I just changed motherboards and my boot times went from 40 seconds + - to over a minute so it is time to look into one. A TB? Crickey! I'm using 2-500gb mechanicals now with lots of spare room.

EDIT: $400USD?!?!?!! Nope.

Last edited:
Hmm maybe I should stick with Fraps for now then...that doesn't sound too reliable :/ I'll see if I can give it a try and get any luck from it.

Yeah...they will cost you. :eek: Mine was the equivalent of $600...but I needed the fastest and most reliable drive on the consumer market to do video work with as I have to both render AND read huge amounts of data synchronously when colour grading...

But it's worth it Hylie! Bearing in mind it'll more than double your overall system speed (including graphics in a small way), I think it's a good investment. Also infinitely more reliable, you can throw them around like usb sticks and it'll take a lot for them to break, even when powered up.

If budget's at a premium though and you don't really need that much space, here's a perfect SSD for you:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5...=1452992523&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+256gb+ssd

Slightly slower than the PRO version, but still 550mb/s guaranteed & constant Read/Write speed...lighting fast compared to even the most expensive mechanical drive! Hope this helps anyway:dance

Last edited:
With Mirillis you can specify the output framerate (from 15 t0 120), if that is what you mean. You can also specify the output size so a 1080 screen could be recorded at 720 if you wanted. I have had pretty good luck with it. Most of the vids I recorded in HoO and LoM were done using it and generally I stayed above the 100fps mark for most vids in engine. The NVIDIA NVENC codec that it uses is pretty small as well. It rarely gains me much to do many more compression passes on the video after recording it.

myw3Y.png

It does but I will be waiting another month at least before making a decision as I am retired and on a limited budget. It's not something that I really need, but want.

EDIT: No I need to limit the frame rate in the game at all times whether I'm recording or not. Otherwise frame rates get out of control and might damage the hardware.

Last edited:
I run the older 256GB 840 Pro SSD and have been using it as my primary OS and swap drive for photoshop, videos, etc. In 2 years I have reached 22% of its lifespan, so have no fear of burning them out quickly. I use my PC all day, every day and it is still going strong.

Just a friendly update. @Flannery has very kindly offered to create an original score for the trailer, and I'd prefer to wait for the music before I start editing stuff together so it may yet be a month or so before I have anything to show (if not just for my own slowness!) But safe to say, this is happening. :)

I'm hoping for the Beta 4 release by the end of this month or so.
Last time we had the trailer posted after the release.
Not sure if that is better than before or not.

What are you planning to show?
If it is be a Beta 4 trailer, it would be nice if it could show the Beta 4 new features.

I've been regularly consulting your update list as thats my intention too, though I think it's also important to highlight the staples of the last few releases too ie new ships. I also plan on doing separate, shorter videos solely for the larger storylines...ie Bartolomeu, Jack Sparrow etc. I will highlight some of the new free play storyline options though, such as Cutler Beckett/Blackbeard. I may also hint at the cursed gold addition. Things like being able to change starting date/more specific characters and the more polished careers system are also on the top of my list, as in my opinion they're pretty major things for a new player to see we have. I have got to be mindful thought that this is a cinematic trailer, so more subtle things like changing flag during battle/loyalties I'll include in a longer trailer else it risks getting too complicated. The last trailer mostly went over the fundamentals, which is what i plan on doing too.

If though there's anything you think I've missed off which absolutly MUST be incorporated, I'm open. :)

EDIT: I'm thinking, it'd be nice if it coincides with public launch as closely as possible, of course. But I fear that's not realistic with my current work schedule. :mad: So i propose I make a more temporary/basic demo video to coincide with launch in a week or so, then this one for a month or so following. That gives us a bit more breathing space and we'll then replace it with this one which, being a linear narrative, should set us in good stead as far as trailers are concerned until Beta 5/Build 15 is underway, whichever comes first. Ultimately this one will get the views anyway if it's up permanently so long as we have some audience retention to begin with, which I believe we should do (though I havn't actually seen our youtube demographics so that's a guesstimate)

Last edited:
Back