• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Cinematic Trailers

Hey @danitim1 , thanks for the kind offer!

I think I'm sorted on this temporary one, as it is at best very simplistic as videos go. However, if you're able to record videos it'd be hugely helpful to have more than just myself gathering footage for the next trailer. If you're interested I'll PM you a shotlist of what's on the agenda, it's pretty open-ended at this point though. :doff

I think I'm sorted on this temporary one, though if you're able to record videos and a LOT of them, It'd be hugely helpful to have more than just myself gathering footage for the next trailer. If you're interested I'll PM you a shotlist of what's needed, it's pretty open-ended at this point though. :doff
@danitim1 also has some experience with exporting GM files from Maya. Just sayin'.... ;)

Hey @danitim1 , thanks for the kind offer!

I think I'm sorted on this temporary one, as it is at best very simplistic as videos go. However, if you're able to record videos it'd be hugely helpful to have more than just myself gathering footage for the next trailer. If you're interested I'll PM you a shotlist of what's on the agenda, it's pretty open-ended at this point though. :doff
Im on it, just tell me what u need.

Sorry, not sure why i didn't see this until now :eek:

Will send a list over tomorrow. Thanks! :onya

Just an update.

I have a rough edit together for the temporary trailer. Under normal circumstances I'd say it'll be done in a few days now I'm at this point, but sadly the circumstances aren't normal. A few weeks ago I was given a paid film project which is now at a crucial stage, and sadly that needs to take priority. It's taking every kilobyte and megahert of my system to get that done, so whilst it is a fairly simple thing of getting this edited and uploaded, I've been badly pushed back by the necessity of moving all the POTC footage (around 150gb) to an archive drive to make space. Hopefully I'll be able to move it back by this time next week.

As for the cinematic trailer, with @danitim1 's help that's still looking promising. Not any time in the immediete future due to the aforementioned, but promising. I'll update regularly regarding that, as well as for the HoO one.

Last edited:
I know, right!? :rofl Though it is my last one, after this it's all going to be modelling! I agreed to do it last year and got paid before the footage handover, so I'm kinda obliged to do it still, despite having no interest in film anymore. :facepalm

Just an update on this; it should be done in just under a week so long as nothing more happens to hinder it. The reason for the delay; an unfortunate incident. I won't go into detail, but it involved losing much of the footage I had collected for both this and the cinematic trailer. Happily I managed to get my other project backed up enough times for it to not be affected; sadly though I've had to recapture most of this and, worse, have lost access to my normal editing workflow for now. As a result I'm having to use the god-awful Final Cut Pro X to do everything so I'm having big workflow issues.

Excuse over and out :napoleon

Should be good to go by the end of the week though and as I say, it should more than serve its purpose to show existing players our additions :whipa

Last edited:
If you just lost some PotC stuff, that isn't so bad.
When you said "accident", I was imagining hospitals. That would have been much worse!

Indeed, but it's still a complete annoyance! :boom: It's stresses like this that have made me want to work on games and stuff...:cheeky

Ok, it's done; and remarkably, regarding the workflow issues I had recently, in time for the Beta 4 release! It's nothing special and in fact I'm downright disappointed with how some of the shots turned out. But I think it's far better than nothing and serves its purpose well of introducing the key facets which are new or heavily updated in Beta 4; namely, ships, locations, free play and careers. As for the cinematic one for Beta 4, it doesn't look promising I'll be able to do that on my system anytime soon so will need to keep y'all posted on that one :rumgone

I'll post a youtube link once I've had the chance to upload it. I'm using a 10kb/s (if that) connection to post this though so will probably have to wait a few days and do it at the library. Is there anyway I can get this to you that's not over PA? As I can't guarantee I'll be able to come back on here to post as it's a miracle it's loading threads now frankly....

Last edited:
Is there anyway I can get this to you that's not over PA? As I can't guarantee I'll be able to come back on here to post as it's a miracle it's loading threads now frankly....
I'd suggest uploading the video file itself to the FTP somewhere. Then we can post it on the official PiratesAhoy! YouTube channel.
Would that help?

Would probably not be filtered at the library so yes, if possible. It'd also be good if someone such as yourself could quickly give it a look before posting up as I can still make changes if need be.

Would probably not be filtered at the library so yes, if possible. It'd also be good if someone such as yourself could quickly give it a look before posting up as I can still make changes if need be.
You should have the login details for the FTP now.
Once you have it uploaded, I'll be happy to have a look at it and post any comments that might occur to me. :doff

Thanks, Pieter. I'll see if I can get it up in a day or two!
I have set a date for the public release of Beta 4: 27 March 2016.
If you could have your video uploaded somewhere in the next week, that would be awesome!
Then it can coincide with the actual release after all. :woot

Is it just me, or is there something TERRIBLY wrong with the Build 14 Beta 2 trailer currently posted on YouTube?
It actually managed to trigger a Blue Screen Of Death on my Windows, which is pretty nasty to say the least! :shock

Back