• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP City of Abandoned Ships: Historical Immersion-Gentlemen of Fortune Supermod

It's a Logitech G500 USB mouse. All the cheap meese's are sized for female hands and my fingertips were dragging on the mouse pad. This is a full size moose with adjustable weights and 4 different speeds. I have it fully weighted for smoothness and the speed set to the max of 2400 dpi.

I have looked into the controls section of the vanilla and modded COAS and have not found any difference. POTC and every other game works fine.

The next time you reboot mate, check your BIOS and see if you have a setting for "USB Legacy Support" or "USB Compatibility Mode" or something along those lines. If you have, try turning it off and then reboot and check your mouse. It is strange how that setting works, it only effects some games and not others.

If that doesn't help, you might try a USB to PS2 adapter and plug it in to your PS2 mouse port, that is of course if you have a PS 2 mouse port, they are becoming rarer.

Logitech drivers and Win 8.1 do not work well together. After removing the logitech drivers, the mouse runs just fine, no problems anymore.
You will loose some features in the mouse ,I can live wiht that:shrug

The bios does have legacy usb support enabled. I can try that.

I never installed the Logitech drivers and it works fine for everything but this game and the glitch is random.

It has stopped spinning at sea and now only does a little spin at the desk in the store. That has always been there.

Logitech drivers and Win 8.1 do not work well together. After removing the logitech drivers, the mouse runs just fine, no problems anymore.
You will loose some features in the mouse ,I can live wiht that:shrug

Nice idea there mate, Logitech is universally known for pathetically bad driver support, that combined with the colossal failure that is Windows 8 makes for a real nightmare. I really miss XP's ability to easily tell the operating system exactly what driver you wanted to use. Micro$oft knows best! It would be a good idea to check and see exactly what driver it is using, I am assuming you can still at least do that from the control panel. :rolleyes:

This is my drivers for the mouse
upload_2014-12-6_20-0-36.png

Driverversion 6.3.9600.16384

Last edited:
Ayup! It is using a Microsoft driver dated 6/21/2006. I'm now thinking the game is confused by the fast mouse as the spinning only happens when I'm looking down on the scene. It's like it doesn't know which way to point and then spins out.

Anyway, I just played for a while with no spinouts at all.

EDIT: Ya those are the drivers I have.

Last edited:
Was that after you turned off the Legacy USB Support mate?

No, I have not done that yet. If it has decided to work normally I'm not going to fix it.

Ok, just checking. sounds like Windows 8 flakyness to me.

Well now I have run into a game problem instead of a personal problem.

Industrial Espionage. I am supposed to go to the shipyard at Fort de France, Martinique and steal the blueprints to a new frigate. Well the blueprints are not there. I vaguely remember this from GOF2 so it is probably an old bug that never got fixed.

It has been a while since I played, but if I recall correctly, you can only steel those blueprints at night. After midnight I believe, they will not show up till then.

Shameless plug! :beer:

In the last 2 years I updated some of the GOF ships. :type1 Nothing major, just getting the sails to point in the correct direction mostly. I just noticed that those ships did not make it into this Supermod, and dropped them into my copy. They work fine.

If anyone else wants them they are in the Downloads section at the top of the forum -->Hylie Pistof's mods-->COAS stuff-->GOF2 repaired ships and GOF2 after patch 1.2.

I have had 2 CTDs so far and they seem to be related to the Surprise. After restarting the game works normally and the Surprise seems to be ok, so this looks like a random problem.

What I thought was a mouse bug might be either a background program interfering with this game or a game bug. What is happening is that randomly a small hitch or hiccup will appear where the game hangs or stops for a microsecond. This happens at regular 1/2 second intervals and if I'm moving the mouse it makes the scene jump. This only happens at sea and mostly during battles. If I go to the world map and then back to direct sail it often does not reappear.

There have also been some CTDs. Four yesterday. It seems as I move deeper into the game it is becoming less stable. So, @Modder01 is there any word on the coding front?

Well, I have not played anything else since I started playing this one, but I did not have this problem before.

Back