• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Cleaning Up the Advanced Options

I'm with Morgan on the blade quality/damage thing.

Anchoring? I just go straight to port and bypass all that other stuff unless I want to go to the Captain's cabin or the hold before going to shore.

Sails: I don't always get what I want. That section is buggy.

Is there any way to get the scroll function on the right hand side to actually work?

Thanks for your comments on the Advanced Options changes, Black Bart! I'm glad to hear you find it an improvement and we didn't lose too much.

Indeed that anchoring does sound a bit confused. The note on ransoming is because I decided to combine the two.
If you always automatically visit your ship deck, you use that for ransoming as well.
If you skip ship deck because of your settings, ransoming will be through the menu.
I thought that made some sense, though is up for debate of course.

Would you be willing to make your suggested text changes to \RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\SettingsDescribe.txt yourself and then post it?

I agreed with your suggestion on removing "Displaytime" when you first posted it and have removed it from my game version already.
Will be included in the next release.

I'll always vote for UK spelling if we've got the choice! :razz

Note that the Blade Damage Mod setting is NOT combined with the Blade Quality Mod.
I just moved the setting to PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h . It seems to me to make sense to combine them,
but since some people like Morgan like them seperate, I didn't remove it altogether.

I'll always vote for US spelling if we've got the choice! :razz
I veto that vote! The Americans don't even exist until the last two periods; why should we use their spelling? :razz
Also, I'm pretty sure they didn't 'adapt' the language that quickly, either, so really American English shouldn't even appear in the game at all!

any Chance we could put Pieter's new advanced options on a toggle?

The stuff removed you can get at in the usual files(Internalsettings.h etc) if you want to. I think the main aim was to remove confusion for new players coming to the game, we modders can always tinker behind the scenes for the fine tuning stuff, but 67 options, in an often non-logical order AND confusion over the interaction of some of the choices was why a strip down was decided upon i think. What options are you missing from the new menu? Wat do you need? I for example agree than maybe the blade mod is good to keep in as was? other than that it seems a big improvement.

[quote name='Pieter Boelen='1310874936' post='398865']
Thanks for your comments on the Advanced Options changes, Black Bart! I'm glad to hear you find it an improvement and we didn't lose too much.

Indeed that anchoring does sound a bit confused. The note on ransoming is because I decided to combine the two.
If you always automatically visit your ship deck, you use that for ransoming as well.
If you skip ship deck because of your settings, ransoming will be through the menu.
I thought that made some sense, though is up for debate of course.

Would you be willing to make your suggested text changes to \RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\SettingsDescribe.txt yourself and then post it?[/quote]

This is the text i get in-game in the new/current(patch 7) advanced options for anchoring:

"Anchoring:

1. When anchoring, you go to your ship's deck. From there you can go to shore
2. In the same way as in the tutorial
Prisoner ransom is done through the dialog in the cargo hold. You can hire captives as officers."

This makes it sound like option 1 is the one that allows you to go to the ships deck, but then so does option 2!

Looking in the \SettingsDescribe.txt you pointed me to, the text for this section is different from the in-game stuff i gave above, it is:

visit_deck{Anchoring}
settingvisit_deck1
{
When anchoring, you go to shore. From port or bay you go to sea.
Prisoner ransom is done through the interface.
}
settingvisit_deck2
{
When anchoring, you go to your ship's deck. From there you can go to shore in the same way as in the tutorial.
Prisoner ransom is done through dialogue in the cargo hold. You can hire captives as officer.(edit typo: should be 'officers')
}
settingvisit_deck3
{
#when leaving land you'll also go to your ship's deck, unless you select 'Sea' command
}

That seems to be the old menu choice for anchoring not the new one(in which case where is my current advanced options getting that text for it's 'Anchoring' options?) and i would switch back to it to keep it clear on this option.

In general, I always go to deck before going to port(it seems 'unatural' not to!). And i got a wierd thing in my current game where by even if i select option 1 in the current Anchoring options, i go straight to port from anchoring and vice-versa. Even though the text description i get says i'll go to deck.

[quote name='Pieter Boelen='1310874936' post='398865']
I agreed with your suggestion on removing "Displaytime" when you first posted it and have removed it from my game version already.
Will be included in the next release.[/quote]

And that removal would cancel out the bringing back of either the seperate Ransom options or maybe more importantly the blade damage mod? Overall it's much neater, quicker to navigate and less confusing(bar the current anchoring thing).

9/10 :)

i dunno. i still liked being able to seperate blade quality and blade damage. it put a bit more variety in your finds while avoiding the annoyance of having to replace weapons all the time.

Oops; that was actually a typo. In fact, I HAD intended to write "I'll always vote for UK spelling if we've got the choice!".
If you notice, I always do try to use UK spelling in my posts. Harbour vs. harbor and all that stuff. :cheeky

any Chance we could put Pieter's new advanced options on a toggle?
A toggle on the toggles? Preferrably not. If there's any settings you would like back, just let me know.
I did what I did as a first edition, but everything's up for debate. Give me specific notes and hopefully we'll be able to come up with a final cleanup that everybody can live with. :doff

Oops; that was actually a typo. In fact, I HAD intended to write "I'll always vote for UK spelling if we've got the choice!".
Still, that's quite a misleading typo. You had me confused for a while. xD:
On that note, modeller vs modeler is another difference I don't think many people have realised. :wp

Either way, we can safely say that Black Bart's dialogue and description changes are a step in the right direction, then.

I think Morgan wants that back Pieter ;) , and in light of losing the 'Displaytime' option it probably is a good one to have back for the 'arcade' style players :keith

We can put it back in Advanced Options, but do we really need to?
It is still in InternalSettings.h, so still available for those who really want to change it (eg. Morgan Terror).
What do you think regular players would want to change and wouldn't want to?

True, we have access to the 'Weaponsmod' on/off in the advanced options already, and internalsettings.h still has a bunch of the finer details for us to change if need be. I have to access it for some stuff anyway normally so it shouldn't be a big problem for those wanting all that detail. What say you Morgan?

Edit: the more i'm playing(as in starting new games) using this advanced options, the more i like it actually.

Pieter, last time you asked me to check what i would write instead of the current (and not correct) 'Anchoring' options, but the file you wanted me to look at wasn't the same as what is being used. Anyway i'd change the language of the two options to this as my intitial choice(but i have some further questions):

Anchoring:

1. When anchoring you go straight to port/shore. From port/shore you go straight to sea.

2. As in the tutorial. When anchoring you go first to ships deck then from there to port or shore. From port/shore you go to ships deck. Prisoner ransom is done by directly talking to them on the ship decks.

IF you only ransom in the cargo hold that can be put in place of 'on the ship decks'.

Now for option 1. would the prisoner ransom be done like in stock game, in the passanger menu? if so you could add "Prisoner ransom is done using the Passenger Menu(Stock PotC)."

After whacking this over the head with a hammer for quite some time, I've come up with this:
Code:
visit_deck{Anchoring and Ransom}
settingvisit_deck1
{
Stock PotC: Skip this. Prisoner ransoming is done through Passenger Interface.
}
settingvisit_deck2
{
Build Default: As in the tutorial. Prisoner ransoming is done by talking to them in your ship's cargo hold.
}
settingvisit_deck3
{
#Visit ship deck when traveling between port/shore and sea.

NOTE: You can skip this at any time by using the [Enter] menu and choosing "Sea" or "Port".
}

At the risk of offending, if a new player came to that they might not know what 'Stock PotC' setting is or what 'Build default' is - but i think we are on the right track. can i suggest this further refinement:

Code:
settingvisit_deck1
{
Stock PotC: You go straight to port or shore. Prisoner ransoming is done through Passenger Interface.
}
settingvisit_deck2
{
Build Default: As in the tutorial, you go to ships deck first. Prisoner ransoming is done by talking to them in your ship's cargo hold.
}
settingvisit_deck3
{

NOTE: You can skip this at any time by using the [Enter] menu and choosing "Sea" or "Port".
}

Please don't make me walk the plank :walkplank

i don't know. i don't think i've ever heard of someone who skipped the stock game and went straight to build mod, but mentioning what the stock setting is might be a good precaution nonetheless.

The trick is to make things very literal or KISS(keep it simple stupid), so they are self explaining to new and veteren alike. I've been around since build 12 and even i found some of the stuff in the old advanced menu confusing. Probably coming at it with a 'fresh' pair of eyes had something to do with it :yes

I know there is a limit on space, as in we can't put too much info in these descriptions, but i think my compromise is ok :wp And this is the only one that needed changing :)

In general this game does not have good instructions. I still don't know how I figured out the control buttons. I played stock POTC for a week and then went to B13.

Black Bart, I tried to use your setting description, but the text is too long, causing the first option to not display. :facepalm

Ok. how about this:

Code:
settingvisit_deck1
{
You go straight to port or shore. Prisoner ransoming is done through Passenger Interface.
}
settingvisit_deck2
{
You go to ships deck first. Prisoner ransoming is done by talking to them in your ship's cargo hold.
}
settingvisit_deck3
{

}

That brings the text back down to size and describes exactly what each does :)

..And i just found a couple more errors in the descriptions!

Graphical settings:

Camera's behaviour:

At the end of the text: "(max. value will suitable not for all locations)" should be, "(max. value not suitable for all locations)"

And....

Realism settings: Sea

Food:

"The crew requires food(wheat) and drink(rum) to stay alive and happy" - 'wheat' is also a trade good, seperate from 'food' so maybe change to this:
"The crew requires food and rum to stay alive and happy"

And that would seem to complete this new Advanced Options menu :)

Back