• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Cleaning Up the Advanced Options

the food required used to be wheat, so i guess that discription was just overlooked. quite an important find though.

I'm sorry, Black Bart; that first line is still too long. :modding

"The crew requires rations and rum to stay alive and happy".
^ I think the correct good is called "rations" in the game now, right?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions; it's a great help! :onya :woot

Yeah it is called 'Food' in the trade items now(not rations). And below let's have another go at sorting out the Anchoring descriptions:

"Stock PotC: Skip this. Prisoner ransoming is done through Passenger Interface." ( I count 81 chars here, inc spaces)

"Build Default: As in the tutorial. Prisoner ransoming is done by talking to them in your ship's cargo hold." ( I count 107 chars here, inc spaces)

That was working i take it? From your opening code post on this.

Then these were my suggestions:

"You go straight to port or shore. Prisoner ransoming is done through Passenger Interface." (89 chars here, inc spaces)

"You go to ships deck first. Prisoner ransoming is done by talking to them in your ship's cargo hold." (100 chars here, inc spaces).

So the second example should be ok, being 7 chars less. Try these for the first option that is being difficult:

"You go straight to port or shore. Prisoner ransoming is done in Passenger Interface."(84 chars)

OR(and this may be the better one i think):

"You go straight to port or shore. Prisoner ransoming is via Passenger Interface."(80 chars)

I think that should sort it all out :)

Nice one, Black Bart; that works! :woot

Indeed it IS food. I better change that description to say food rather than rations then. :wp

:dance

one small advance at a time. The new menu is an improvement overall. It's smaller(without feeling like much has been removed), less confusing, more logical in it's arrangement and with this last bit done, probably ship shape :cheers

Going through the Advanced Options again before Beta 2.5, here are some thoughts:

Brothel: Do we still need a toggle? Does the toggle even WORK? It's turned off by default, but I always see them accessible anyway.

Auto Looting: Set this to ON by default in addition to the Corpsemode? I'm getting tired of all the manual looting.

Auto-Hire Crew: Does anyone ever feel the need to disable this?

Crit from Balls: Remove setting, disable in Iron Man Mode

Fire from Balls: Remove setting, disable in Iron Man Mode

Food: Remove, OFF in Arcade, ON in Realistic and above

Display Time: Remove setting, always show in Arcade, depending on equipped item in Realistic

Real Cannons: Remove setting, always ON

Extra Hit Check: Remove setting, OFF in Arcade, ON in Realistic

Comments?

Auto looting: I don't always take everything, like the albatross and a certain coin. Would it be possible to return items to the corpse?

Going through the Advanced Options again before Beta 2.5, here are some thoughts:

Brothel: Do we still need a toggle? Does the toggle even WORK? It's turned off by default, but I always see them accessible anyway.

Comments?

Are you sure the brothels open even when it is off - There were problems with the Assassin quest if it was turned off - and Capt. Maggee had to do 2 options in the Help Two Pirates side-quest in Jack Sparrow to handle if the Brothels were On or Off.

I thought the toggle was there and set to Off as default - to account for any "young players" and those with Strong moral views. ( mainly in the US)

As far as I remember the toggle was working in Beta 2.2. :shrug

I thought also that someone had changed the dialog in the brothels a while ago ( can't remember who ) - they softened it maybe but I have not been in one in a while ( in game i mean :rofl )

:rumgone

Cheers,

No idea, I always toggle it on. But since there are children playing this game, better leave the option available.

Auto-Hire Crew: Does anyone ever feel the need to disable this?
I always disable this. Never got the idea why crew should be refreshed by the dockyard .... I use the tavern for it. But I am not opposed to disable it. I usually go to the tavern before to the dockyard when arriving at port

Crit from Balls:
Remove setting, disable in Iron Man Mode
Fire from Balls: Remove setting, disable in Iron Man Mode
Not sure if I understand correctly ... do you mean these would be not available at iron man mode?
I always thoght this being settings to make gameplay more realistic, not less. So why disable them in iron man mode?

Remove, OFF in Arcade, ON in Realistic and above
As long as you leave my rum .... *stares at Pieter suspiciously*

Display Time:
Remove setting, always show in Arcade, depending on equipped item in Realistic
Fine with that one.

Real Cannons:
Remove setting, always ON
Fine for me ... perhaps have real cannons off for arcade mode? Then again, I have no idea how the arcade guys prefer to play ...

Auto looting: I don't always take everything, like the albatross and a certain coin. Would it be possible to return items to the corpse?
Auto Looting only loots the gold and weapons and nothing else. You can still search corpses for additional items. You can put stuff back as well if you feel the need.

Are you sure the brothels open even when it is off - There were problems with the Assassin quest if it was turned off - and Capt. Maggee had to do 2 options in the Help Two Pirates side-quest in Jack Sparrow to handle if the Brothels were On or Off.
Very true. Maybe Jack Rackham did something else to open it up in Woodes Rogers; that's where I saw it open last.

I thought the toggle was there and set to Off as default - to account for any "young players" and those with Strong moral views. ( mainly in the US)
True. We can keep it, I suppose.

I thought also that someone had changed the dialog in the brothels a while ago ( can't remember who ) - they softened it maybe but I have not been in one in a while ( in game i mean :rofl )
Right again.

I always disable this. Never got the idea why crew should be refreshed by the dockyard .... I use the tavern for it. But I am not opposed to disable it. I usually go to the tavern before to the dockyard when arriving at port
If you use the toggle, clearly we shouldn't remove it. I'm hunting for useless toggles.
I think the reasoning is that you only need to visit the shipyard to get your ship ship-shape again. But then you also need to visit the store anyway to resupply.

Not sure if I understand correctly ... do you mean these would be not available at iron man mode?
I always thoght this being settings to make gameplay more realistic, not less. So why disable them in iron man mode?
From what I understand, the original game allowed balls to cause critical hits and fire. This is still the case on default settings.
Is that realistic? Maybe it is. If so, then why is there even a setting at all? Especially since bombs are now so hard to find. Maybe just replace to "always on"?

As long as you leave my rum .... *stares at Pieter suspiciously*
No worries:
Captain-Morgan.jpg

You wouldn't play in Arcade anyway, would you?

Fine for me ... perhaps have real cannons off for arcade mode? Then again, I have no idea how the arcade guys prefer to play ...
I don't think I ever heard much complaining about the Realistic Cannons. Perhaps keep the setting and move to InternalSettings so it doesn't clutter up the menu.

By the way, does anyone see any point in keeping the "Difficulty Setting" in the Options menu? Because of our "cannot resume" problem, that button hasn't worked in forever anyway.
How about we just get rid of it. You can change your starting difficulty and change it through dialog during the game anyway. :shrug

Cheers,

If you use the toggle, clearly we shouldn't remove it. I'm hunting for useless toggles.
I think the reasoning is that you only need to visit the shipyard to get your ship ship-shape again. But then you also need to visit the store anyway to resupply.
If I am the only one who uses it, then away with it. It won't hurt me. If I insist of recrewing at the tavern, I'll just have to hit the tavern first.

From what I understand, the original game allowed balls to cause critical hits and fire. This is still the case on default settings.
Is that realistic? Maybe it is. If so, then why is there even a setting at all? Especially since bombs are now so hard to find. Maybe just replace to "always on"?
Well ... I am not an expert at this, but I think when lots of cannonballs hit a ship made of wood, with guys standing close to guns, handling with powder, and shot, and fire ... god knows what could happen when they are hit, some cannons get loose and whatever happens. I *could* think of situations where such actzions might lead to a fire ... or worse.
I wouldn't give it a huge chance to do, but it should be possible.
Though I don't exactly know what a critical hit is (in game terms). In real world, I'd think of a mast hit, or the rudder damaged or something like that. Or possibly unmount some cannons. That stuff? Why should this only happen when shot with bombs?

You wouldn't play in Arcade anyway, would you?
I did this twice I think. Once when I started with stock PotC just to look what it is loike, and another time to find those damned mooring locations at some hugish bays at Hispaniola. Besides that ... no, never ever.

I don't think I ever heard much complaining about the Realistic Cannons. Perhaps keep the setting and move to InternalSettings so it doesn't clutter up the menu.
As I said, no idea. This is best answered by one who plays arcade mode.

By the way, does anyone see any point in keeping the "Difficulty Setting" in the Options menu? Because of our "cannot resume" problem, that button hasn't worked in forever anyway.
How about we just get rid of it. You can change your starting difficulty and change it through dialog during the game anyway. :shrug
No real reason to keep it, I think.

As Talisman said I think brothels are locked (by default) and I did have to do another option... So keep that one, the rest I think are all good :onya

I play in Arcade because I'm tired of the slow ships. But I want the other things as realistic as possible. So the option for food should stay in my opinion. Also the auto-hire should be chooseable.
Is it possible to activate the Iron Man Mode in Arcade?

I play in Arcade because I'm tired of the slow ships. But I want the other things as realistic as possible. So the option for food should stay in my opinion. Also the auto-hire should be chooseable.
Is it possible to activate the Iron Man Mode in Arcade?
We'll keep that option then. In Beta 2.3, you can indeed enable Iron Man Mode in Arcade Game Mode.
For the next release, you will still be able to switch on the separate parts in InternalSettings.h, so you can make the game more realistic in Arcade too.

Do you ever use time compression? That speeds up all ships too while remaining in Realistic Mode. That's what I do all the time.

yes I do but I dont want to go more than x10 because with x30 the game feels very unstable. I just like the behaviour of the vessels in arcade, i enjoy to play like this, i guess thats the most important thing ;)

Indeed I don't think 30x works overly well.

Indeed enjoying the way you play is VERY important! In fact, we've been hoping to hear from someone using Arcade Game Mode.
Which realism options do you like to use or switch on? And which ones do you switch off?

Ok, 30X is working better than ever and is useable when going from point A to point B.
All combat should be done in normal time to give the proper feel to combat. If there is a good wind it gets quite lively.

Back