• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Climbing on mast in 1st person sailing mod?

Mirsaneli

Privateer
Storm Modder
Ok, so I have another idea about the features for the upcoming versions of the Mod. I was thinking (if that is possible to achieve) that it would be nice if we could climb on the mast in 1st person sailing mod. It would be a cool view to use the spyglass from the top of the ship :D
Maybe the ropes can be made as path or something?

Untitled.jpg

I'm afraid this wont be really possible easy...

There is actually one ship that has this feature; I think it was the final ship that Yo Ho Ho did, which is a very detailed Dutch warship.
Maybe @Hylie Pistof or @Armada remembers the specifics.

So in theory it IS possible. But it requires the walk patches for each ship individually to be redone with Maya.
But unless you find a modeler who wants to do this huge and tedious task, don't count on this ever being done.

Take a look at those positions in the picture. Imagine you're standing on one of those platforms, looking ahead. You stare through your spyglass hoping to catch sight of an enemy ship, and what you catch sight of instead is a big sail filling up your entire forward view. xD

I reckon even if this were possible, it would be an awful lot of work for relatively little return, especially since you're supposed to be the captain and captains didn't tend to go to the crow's nest, they sent some low-ranking sailor up there instead. ;)

Pieter is correct; it is doable, but would require the path models to be modified on each ship. Also note that you'd still be able to climb the rigging even after the masts have fallen, which would look very odd.

Pieter is correct; it is doable, but would require the path models to be modified on each ship. Also note that you'd still be able to climb the rigging even after the masts have fallen, which would look very odd.

Ouch, I didn't count on that :D you are right, it would be awful to float in the air after the mast falls... I think we can close this thread :D

It can be done and has been done one time. The Light Pinnace has a walk file that allows you to climb the rigging on one mast, and the view is magnificent. It can be done in Sailor Tool by anyone with some time and patience. Err, as long as it doesn't burn out your hardware.............

Thanks @Hylie Pistof for confirming which ship it was.

Unfortunately I do NOT think it can be done with the Sailor Tool; it has to be Maya as this is controlled by the "collision detection included in the path GM file".
This is what the "NL_LightPinnace" one looks like:
upload_2015-12-17_18-49-2.png

That 'thing' leading up shows you where you can climb into the main mast.
Note that this seems to be ONLY accessible from the starboard side and ONLY from the main mast.

You can only use the Sailor Tool to change how the crew walks around, not the player.
By far the quickest way to modify the walk path would be with Maya, though any 3D application could be used so long as you could get the model back to Maya for export.

You can only use the Sailor Tool to change how the crew walks around, not the player.
By far the quickest way to modify the walk path would be with Maya, though any 3D application could be used so long as you could get the model back to Maya for export.
Thought so. Thanks for confirming. :doff

Back